Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Aug 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #181 of 289
You need to use a program that is capable of outputting a stream like that, such as JRiver or Foobar. Also you'll need to either force that sample rate via resampling (such as in JRiver) or play files that are native to that sample rate, like DXD files (352.8 KHz).

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #182 of 289
Currently tossing and turning between the DT880 600ohm, HD600 and HD650 - looking to pair with a Matrix Mini-I Pro

I've listened to a friends 880 600ohm on a Firestone stack (Beyond HD, Spitfire and Supplier HD) and it has been the best i've heard so far

Short of that I've tried the Matrix Mini-I Pro with a HE500 and they seem to power it plenty to provide the richness it's known for

Maxvla's review for the Mini-I Pro states that it pairs really well with the HD600 - but I can't help but wonder if the 880s would suit me better

I enjoy the low reaching bass presence of the 880s, is this something i'll miss in the HD600s?

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #185 of 289
Have anyone try to use the XLR 'line' output to drive any balanced headphone? Read from the spec that it has 4vrms (XLR out) which is almost the same as Yulong D200 (4.2v max) and heard Yulong can drive balanced headphone via XLR. Wonder Matrix Mini-i pro does the same.
Right now I am using Matrix as source, RCA out to Topping TP60 or iBasso PB2 to drive HE500 & SE535 (balanced), but afraid to try directly on Matrix's XLR

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #186 of 289
  Have anyone try to use the XLR 'line' output to drive any balanced headphone? Read from the spec that it has 4vrms (XLR out) which is almost the same as Yulong D200 (4.2v max) and heard Yulong can drive balanced headphone via XLR. Wonder Matrix Mini-i pro does the same.
Right now I am using Matrix as source, RCA out to Topping TP60 or iBasso PB2 to drive HE500 & SE535 (balanced), but afraid to try directly on Matrix's XLR

I'd love to know as well.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #187 of 289
Hi guys, very interested in the Mini-i but just wondering how it might sound as an all-in-one solution for use with my AKG K702 anniversaries. Has anyone tried it with any of the K/Q 701/702 headphones?  
Thanks in advance 
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #188 of 289

I'd love to know as well.

I built XLR 3 pin x2 to 4 pin XLR today and try to use the Matrix's 4vrms XLR analog out to drive my Hifiman HE500, and yeah, got sound.. Below are what I noticed so far
(1) Volume
I set the Matrix to pre 1 and you can see from the OLED display that headphone is louder than line (10db vs 0db at max volume), total of 10db difference. Judging with my ears i think the line level is 25-30db behind the head level (line level at max 0db is roughly -15 to -20db for head level)
(2) Sound
Clearer and bass not tight. However, the bass on headphone out is muddy to my ears. Personally I like the bass using XLR analog out

Suggestion:
Don't use the XLR out to your balanced headphone if your headphones are those hard to drive type, the Matrix simply don't have enough power (I believed no buffer added to the XLR, unlike Yulong D200) to drive them. 
Remember, try the XLR only if you have balance terminated headphone/earphone

Note: I have no idea whether directly connect the balanced headphone/earphone to the XLR analog out will cause any damages or not, please try it at your own risks

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #189 of 289
I email Matrix's support on the XLR analog out. They replied that the XLR have built in buffer, but the output impedance is higher than the headphone, so the sound level is lower than headphone output. No mentioned on whether XLR will cause damages to headphone.
Since the Mini-i pro equipped with XLR as balanced output, I also asked Matrix whether they have any plan to develop/introduce a matching headphone amp under mini series (just like the Quattro series) with balanced input and balanced headphone out, the support team said they will forward it to their development team. Since they already have the Quattro amp, it will be easier for them to change housing plus some improvement. Hopefully they will come out with the matching headphone amp

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #194 of 289
Hey guys
My matrix mini i (old version) doesn't support 24 bit via usb, What's Wrong?
Is it important to play 24 bit for movies? 
Do i need to buy the new version for more sound quality for movies only? 
I'm running windows 7.
My setup PC>usb>matrix mini i >hd650
i appreciate any help.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #195 of 289
Hey guys
My matrix mini i (old version) doesn't support 24 bit via usb, What's Wrong?
Is it important to play 24 bit for movies? 
Do i need to buy the new version for more sound quality for movies only? 
I'm running windows 7.
My setup PC>usb>matrix mini i >hd650
i appreciate any help.

The only reason to have 24 bit capability is to play hi resolution audio files. As most movies I know of don't use 24 bit resolution (unless BluRay over HDMI) it is unnecessary to update your Mini-i. The unit sends Dolby Digital over the coax (bypass) so you can get surround if you use a receiver.

Other than that all Mini-is are stereo DACs which will play the 2.0 portion of movie soundtracks just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back