Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #996 of 1,055
Quote:
Hi, I am planning to upgrade from Matrix mini to Bifrost.
Is it correct upgrade path?

I assume you mean upgrading the USB ability as I don't see where the Bifrost is an upgrade to the sp/dif in/output especially if using the Matrix as DAC only into a balanced amp.

I haven't heard the Bifrost yet but neither have I heard much difference in DAC SQ with those I have heard near this price point. I'd probably buy a good USB/SP-DIF converter and keep the Matrix until I could afford a better balanced DAC.

The balanced configuration has brought the biggest overall improvement to my ears, but as always YMMV.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #997 of 1,055
Good answer Hellenback. That is exactly what I did, got a decent usb to spdif converter, then later upgraded to the balanced Gungnir. The Mini-i served me very well for years.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #998 of 1,055
Thank you guys.

Actually I have used Matrix connected to LD mkvii+ to drive HE-400, and the SQ is very good to my ears.
Recently I purchased Musiland monitor US 02, which solves the bottleneck of SQ for USB input.

I should more study of Bifrost for my new Lyr which is comming soon.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #999 of 1,055
As you have the Musiland maybe see how the Lyr sounds with it before spending more. I don't know how the Musiland performs but it seems a  decent component. There have been some big advances in converters lately.

You may already have the sound your looking for with the Lyr alone as it should introduce a tube's unique euphonic signature. Maybe if you're going single ended a new SE DAC is in order; it's your money after all.

I've almost cured my upgraditus since having a set-up pretty close to yours (HD650s vs. HE-400s). The new cable has really tightened/brightened things up (as I already mentioned) so I hope to be listening happily for awhile yet.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,000 of 1,055
Quote:
Good answer Hellenback. That is exactly what I did, got a decent usb to spdif converter, then later upgraded to the balanced Gungnir. The Mini-i served me very well for years.

The guy I bought my cable from sold a Gungnir/Mjolnir combo just before I snagged the silver poison 4 pin. If I'd had the money to spare I might have bitten but I think I'll need to hear something costing that much before buying it!

Is the Gungnir a big step up or are we hitting the diminishing return wall pretty hard? Hope this isn't considered a thread jack...I'm just curious about the Schiit gear.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,001 of 1,055
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,002 of 1,055
I was looking for the comparison review between Bifrost and Matrix mini,  but I could not find any.
But I finally purchased a Bifrost to match my new Lyr.
I was too brave to do that.

I now need to sell one of those same functioning devices.
confused_face_2.gif

Those are Little Dot mkvii+ and Matrix mini.
Those machines has been good enough for listening to HE-400, DT990-600 ohms.

What I am listening to those new set of Schiits is simply a subtlety.
The subtlety is hardly explainable, because it all represents the 2nd or 3rd order quantity, which is not the 1st order one.

This is reason why so many head firers try to explain by using so-many words of not-well defined set of words...
confused_face_2.gif

Like airy, colored, timbers, and sound stages, which are not expressible with a number or numbers.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,003 of 1,055
Quote:
For myself, the Gungnir was an incremental upgrade sonically over the Mini-i. It has a little more weight to the sound, and a bit more extension in the frequency extremes while keeping the musicality that I was accustomed to with the Mini-i. It is also balanced, it has the form factor I desired, and it came in at the right price point for me. I am satisfied with it and think it sounds great, but a couple of more features would have put it over the top. But then it would have been more expensive.

Haven't been on the forum for awhile until today so a belated thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll be keeping the gear I have as it seems a pretty hefty price for a minor upgrade (as suspected). I'm really happy with the improvement in SQ from the Silver Poison cable so I'm just going to enjoy the music and stop fussing for awhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,004 of 1,055
I am waiting my toxic cable for my He-5le.
I did not believe cable impact of SQ, but now I do what I did not know enough.

Matrix mini is good enough even in comparison to nowadays latest DAC.
If there is some difference, the nature of it is very subtle.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,005 of 1,055
Quote:
I am waiting my toxic cable for my He-5le.
I did not believe cable impact of SQ, but now I do what I did not know enough.

Matrix mini is good enough even in comparison to nowadays latest DAC.
If there is some difference, the nature of it is very subtle.

It's nice to hear from someone who is willing to admit that just because you spend more money it doesn't always make a big difference. I'm sure you will be happy with the cable upgrade. To my ears it has had the most significant positive impact on SQ since balancing the HD650s. I realize others don't share my preference for a balanced configuration but the HD650s seem to really benefit from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back