Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Jan 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #886 of 1,055
From a DAC perspective, the Mini-i just smokes the E7.. yes, night and day.  You can use the Mini-i as a standalone DAC for your M-Stage.. should work rather well.  Check out the Heaphonia and Headphonista reviews.. from my experience, they're pretty accurate. (Had the FiiO E7/E9 combo and I much prefer the standalone Mini-i to it.)
Hope this helps.. M

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #887 of 1,055
The Mini-i is a spectacular bargain for a high-quality balanced DAC with just a couple of issues IMO. First the USB input is substandard in comparison to its SPDIF so if a computer is your source it really benefits from a decent USB to SPDIF converter. Second the built-in headphone amp seems optimized for relatively efficient high-impedance headphones like the HD580/6xx, not so much for low-impedance, IEMs, or headphones that need gobs of power but It does sound fantastic with my HD600.

I mainly use it for its balanced outs to my headamp, and I have the SE outputs going through a tube stage and on to a speaker system.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #888 of 1,055
I realize the Mini-i only does 44.1/16 or 48/16 from USB but I sometimes find I'm using it by accident from my computer. If I really listen I can hear a difference but it's certainly not as dramatic as some seem to think...to my ears anyway. Not sure I could get it right every time in a real blind test.

USB sounds pretty good to me if I have the other output tied up (the motherboard I use allows for 2 simultaneous sound streams). I don't run two that often but if I'm trying to hear what's online atm then I just leave the sp-dif out running to my receiver.
Perhaps the new i5 Realtek HD processor has something to do with the SQ but as it's digital out I don't really know why. Just my 2 cents on the topic
wink.gif
  (wonder if we're ever going to get a Sennheiser HDXXX smiley
confused.gif
).

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #889 of 1,055
2 Questions;

1. I've read alot about the Mini-i being better paired up with high impendance headphones. Anyone has this in combination with a Grado? Like a RS60? And how does the amp sound with the Grado sound signature?

2. Since it's out for some time now, what are the comparisons with the Matrix Quattro? It costs almost twice as much but is the Quattro that much better?

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #890 of 1,055
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew how the remote was on this DAC, I really need one with a decent remote so I can control the volume from my couch, maybe about a good 10ft. Would this DAC do you think?

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #891 of 1,055
The remote is great.. 10 feet is no problem. What type of setup are you considering.. DAC in a main system or headphone system or both?

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knew how the remote was on this DAC, I really need one with a decent remote so I can control the volume from my couch, maybe about a good 10ft. Would this DAC do you think?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #895 of 1,055
No, it doesn't matter. It's a great value for the price considering the remote functionality also. Can't think of anything else in the price range with a remote.

Quote:
Does it matter whether i use it for main system or not?

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #897 of 1,055
Quote:
I believe that the Mini I shines in all its glory when you use the co-axial input and the balanced output. And if you put a jitter reducer in front or it, it takes it to another level.

PA

Agreed on all three counts.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #898 of 1,055
I've been interested in purchasing a Matrix Mini for quite some time, but had a quick question...

Reading through the countless pages regarding this DAC/AMP... I can't quite figure if its possible to pair this with a Marantz-CD5004 or if I'm going to get any significant improvement over the Marantz headphone out? So, would this be a possible setup..?

Marantz-CD5004 > Matrix Mini > Beyer 880's (250ohm)

confused_face_2.gif

I'd imagine it can be worked one way or the other? Or should I be just be looking at pairing this with my PC only..?
Pardon my foolishness regarding, for what I imagine, such a simple question... I'm rather new at this!

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #899 of 1,055
The Mini-i has different inputs to switch between, ie you can have your computer hooked up with USB or optical and have your Marantz hooked coaxial or AES.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #900 of 1,055
Thanks for the quick reply, so.. It is possible.

Any word on whether I should hear improvements with the Matrix/ Marantz combo.. Using the Beyers, as well as a set of Ultrasone PRO-750's?

... I'm attempting to decide on whether I should just splash for this DAC/AMP or rather look at a stand alone AMP.. and pairing it with my Marantz?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back