Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #871 of 1,055
Hi I'm new with this DAC. I have purchased this DAC matrix mini I last week and plan to replace op amp with Burson discrete op amp. 

I use this machine as a DAC only(headphone and pre are off) and I connected analog output with XLR to pre amp then to my Burson HA160D for headphone(I prefer Burson for HPA)

and Unison S2+Bugle boy amperex NL pre+ Mullard el34 xf1 fat brown base for loudspeaker(This section with sound out of the speaker with Matrix is much better than burson since Burson has its tube sound added to tube amp it's over the top of "sweetness(too much)" so Matrix is a very good match and it the reason I bought Matrix)

May I ask one question. If I use only DAC section will the output stage circuit is running out to analog XLR output like this

AD1995>OPA1234>XLR output 

as I understand OPA275 is stop working when you set up the unit in DAC function. It's working only on Pre function.

Am I right. That I will only replace 2 x OPA2134 with Burson op amp to use for pure analog output.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

MAII

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #872 of 1,055
Hi. This is a long thread, and I am wondering if anyone else has problems with their Matrix Mini-I..? Mine froze a couple of weeks ago. The whole display lights red, and there is no response when I push or turn the knob. 

I`ve tried to contact tamaudio, but they do not reply. Very frustrating. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #873 of 1,055
Contacted 5 days ago. It's a 2nd hand unit teddy purchased from someone else. Repair is being arranged already.

Quote:
Hi. This is a long thread, and I am wondering if anyone else has problems with their Matrix Mini-I..? Mine froze a couple of weeks ago. The whole display lights red, and there is no response when I push or turn the knob. 

I`ve tried to contact tamaudio, but they do not reply. Very frustrating. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #874 of 1,055

Quote:
Contacted 5 days ago. It's a 2nd hand unit teddy purchased from someone else. Repair is being arranged already.

Now THAT is really great service.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #875 of 1,055
Just purchased the Matrix Mini-i from Tam Audio after debating between this and the Yulong D100. Honestly price was the deciding factor. My first foray into the world of DAC's and looking forward to trying it out!

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #876 of 1,055
Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Still loving mine.  BTW, what phones will you be using with it?

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #878 of 1,055
Can anyone tell if it's possible to use the balanced XLR outputs on the Mini-I with XLR to RCA cables, creating an "extra" stereo RCA output this way? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #880 of 1,055
Thanks. For me it's a big advantage to have the possiblity of getting 2 stereo RCA outputs from a DAC, because I don't use XLR equipments (yet, at least)... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Yes, done all the time.  There are even XLR to RCA adapters so you can use your own RCA cables.

I'm planning to upgrade my headphone DAC and amp setup together. I'm looking at this Mini-I as a strong possibility for my system, along with a tube amplifier, maybe the Little Dot MKIII, as this set would stay within my budget limit. I'd like to know if these two make a good pair together. I also like the possibility of tube rolling with the MKIII... 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #881 of 1,055
Since the volume control can control the XLR outs in some modes (pre?) - theoretically this can work as a balanced HP amp not just a balanced DAC to input to another amp, yes? Or am I misunderstanding... 

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #883 of 1,055
Fantastic. There is no balanced out from the front panel though, I would need to use the rear? (not a big deal, I need to make a 4 pin xlr to 2x3pin pig tail anyway)

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #885 of 1,055
How is the Mini-I's DAC paired with a Matrix M-Stage Class A Biased?
Right now I am using the M-Stage with my FiiO E7's DAC (soon to be E17), do you think the better option would be the Mini-I, would it be a night and day difference? 
Also how would I pair these two together..? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back