Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #856 of 1,055
USB? Optical? or other line out?
What is the volume from the computer set at? 

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #857 of 1,055
Some integrated amplifiers still use a resistor off the speaker output for the headphone jack.  Your Yamaha AX-492 may be one.  If so, it can drive a Hifiman HE-6 let a lone your 770.  Then again the headphone amp of the Mini-i was advertised to be added bonus rather than a main feature.  Just so happens that it sounds pretty good and some of us like the characteristics of that sound.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #858 of 1,055

Quote:
USB? Optical? or other line out?
What is the volume from the computer set at? 

The Matrix is connected via USB. The volume is on the highest setting on Winamp.

Quote:
Some integrated amplifiers still use a resistor off the speaker output for the headphone jack.  Your Yamaha AX-492 may be one.  If so, it can drive a Hifiman HE-6 let a lone your 770.  Then again the headphone amp of the Mini-i was advertised to be added bonus rather than a main feature.  Just so happens that it sounds pretty good and some of us like the characteristics of that sound.

I see what you mean. But the if I recollect correctly, the Matrix is advertized to be able to drive cans with 300ohm imp. The Beyers are only 80ohm.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #859 of 1,055
Just a friendly reminder: the Mini-i sounds much better if you feed it a 24-bit signal.
Have it hooked up with BNC to my PC and set the output to 44.1/24 and man, that clarity. So very very awesome. Orchestras sound so much better.
As for frequency, I feel the comp doesn't do the upsampling there well and things start to sound messed up. But the 24-bit input is the truth, yo.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #860 of 1,055

Quote:
I see what you mean. But the if I recollect correctly, the Matrix is advertized to be able to drive cans with 300ohm imp. The Beyers are only 80ohm. 

The Mini-i seems like it pairs best with higher-impedance cans as it drives my HD600 very efficiently, I usually listen to them around -50 to -60dB. The 770s are lower impedance, but I would hazard a guess that they are less sensitive as well. This would mean that they want a headamp that prioritizes current, where the Senns thrive on the voltage that the Mini-i prioritizes. When the amp section is an afterthought it can be one or the other.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #861 of 1,055
Sioban,

just to clarify your dilemna, the Yamaha AX-492 amp is analog only. Therefore, you must be feeding it the analog output from your computer's soundcard, correct?

When you use your Mini I you are then using your computer's digital output to feed the mini I because the Mini I does not have any analog inputs.

This is a bit of an Apples and Oranges comparison really, and, in a way, you are comparing your soundcard's DAC output to the Mini I' DAC output.

When using digital output, make sure ALL the volume controls are set to MAX, 100% and try to adjust your soundcard's digital output such that there is no re-sampling. You will get the highest quality output like that. I say all volume controls because with computer software, especially Windows, you can find volume controls everywhere that affect the signal, and I am not familiar with your computer environment. Safest bet is to put them all to maximum.

Hope this helps.

PA

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #862 of 1,055
since i'm on the brink of checking out my matrix balanced order, i'm searching the net for possible 'no-go' signal...
i found this thread in Jaben: http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=16254.0

do you need your souce - optical, coaxial, USB - to be balanced to have a fully balanced setup???
what does balanced digital input mean then??

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #863 of 1,055

Quote:
since i'm on the brink of checking out my matrix balanced order, i'm searching the net for possible 'no-go' signal...i found this thread in Jaben: http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=16254.0do you need your souce - optical, coaxial, USB - to be balanced to have a fully balanced setup???what does balanced digital input mean then??

Yes and no. 

As I understand it, you still get quite a lot of benefit even driving an unbalanced source to balanced amp/headphones. The main benefit is the amp/headphone combination (where you are providing additional signal to the drivers). DAC and Source balance are a nice bonus, and will probably improve the sound further - but are much more incremental compared with the balanced amp/headphone improvement.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #864 of 1,055

Quote:
since i'm on the brink of checking out my matrix balanced order, i'm searching the net for possible 'no-go' signal...
i found this thread in Jaben: http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=16254.0

do you need your souce - optical, coaxial, USB - to be balanced to have a fully balanced setup???
what does balanced digital input mean then??

Yes, and you are going to have to go back and rerip all your CDs in Balanced FLAC (BFLAC) format!  If you bought any music from iTunes you will have to go back and buy it again in the new format, iTunes+-

Just kidding, there is no such thing as balanced digital, but digital info could be run on a balanced line, but that is completely unneccessary for your application.

Rob

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #865 of 1,055
@liamstrain @robzr

thanks a lot for the response and informative posts =)

Balanced FLAC (BFLAC) FTW haha

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #867 of 1,055
It's a nice match.. started with the Mini-i & the 600's.. when to the 650's and much prefer them.  What's the question?

Quote:
mini-i amp senn. hd600 feed?

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #869 of 1,055
Oct 24, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #870 of 1,055
thanks
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back