Matrix m-stage or Schiit Asgard?
Mar 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #31 of 38
Oooooh, a spooky reanimation of an undead thread!

Hi guys, I just bought a Matrix M-Stage (latest version), but didn't think about upgrading the op-amp. 

Based on this thread, people seem to love the 797, but sheerly based on reviews from TamAudio, people also love the 627. 

797: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=90
627: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

So my question is, what's the difference between the two? Based on the latest m-stage is this upgrade going to make a huge difference? Is there anything I should know about upgrading an op-amp (I've never done it before)?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #32 of 38
What I'm curious about is how the M-Stage compares to the newer Asgard 2.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #33 of 38
  Oooooh, a spooky reanimation of an undead thread!

Hi guys, I just bought a Matrix M-Stage (latest version), but didn't think about upgrading the op-amp. 

Based on this thread, people seem to love the 797, but sheerly based on reviews from TamAudio, people also love the 627. 

797: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_46&product_id=90
627: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

So my question is, what's the difference between the two? Based on the latest m-stage is this upgrade going to make a huge difference? Is there anything I should know about upgrading an op-amp (I've never done it before)?

Thanks!

Did you eve decide to change the opamp? and if you did what did you go with and how did it fair? I am receiving mine tomorrow, and I had aquestion about the AD797s i put two of them on an adapter then plug it where the other opamp was? I know it was plug and play but not sure what I would need to buy exactly.

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #34 of 38
  What I'm curious about is how the M-Stage compares to the newer Asgard 2.

I am not sure how the M stage(2012 version) compares to the Asgard 2 being that I heard it is on the warmer side and the M-stage though not cold and having a slight warm is fairly neutral. I normally use the Fournier HTA-2 which a hybrid tube amp that is hand built(discontinued now) but was compared to more expensive hybrid amps, such as the EF-5 said to be on and or slighty better playing field. Well they are huge in their differences, one being extremely life like in presentation, the fournier giving me the feeling that I am closer to the instruments and  bands. Also just a very easy amp to like because it was pretty solid state sounding with the JJ ECC82 tubes in there, and yet wasn't. I had lush mids, smoother but still detailed treble, and decent bass response. Where the M-stage is very precise, detailed(more so than the Fournier), clean and clear, as well as having a nice wide and decently deep stage(not as deep as the fournier. Neither of these amps imo should be marked around 200$ when comparing them to other more expensive gear that I have had the pleasure of trying. THe M stage took me a few to warm up too, because I am so use to the Fournier these past few weeks, but also because both the HD600s and the DT880s do very well and really sing with tubes. That is not to say that the Matrix does not drive and drive well these headphones. It does, and I find myself too lazy plug back in the Fournier. Which has given me more time to experience the M-stage. I do not know if this helps but I thought I would let you know.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 38
  Did you eve decide to change the opamp? and if you did what did you go with and how did it fair? I am receiving mine tomorrow, and I had aquestion about the AD797s i put two of them on an adapter then plug it where the other opamp was? I know it was plug and play but not sure what I would need to buy exactly.

Hey WhiskeyJacks,

I tried to get the Burr Brown OPA627AP from TamAudio, but it arrived with broken pins two times in a row. I was busy and just kind of gave up on it as a lost cause (the packaging was really bad). Tam's a nice guy but he really needs to work on the shipping. My M-Stage also arrived in bubble-wrap with no other outer seal. I have never seen anything like it. Fortunately, the thing works and I love the sound out of it. Someday I'll experiment with changing the OpAmp, but I'm pretty satisfied for now (which is very unusual).

Let me know how your 797 turns out!

David

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 38

Hey WhiskeyJacks,

I tried to get the Burr Brown OPA627AP from TamAudio, but it arrived with broken pins two times in a row. I was busy and just kind of gave up on it as a lost cause (the packaging was really bad). Tam's a nice guy but he really needs to work on the shipping. My M-Stage also arrived in bubble-wrap with no other outer seal. I have never seen anything like it. Fortunately, the thing works and I love the sound out of it. Someday I'll experiment with changing the OpAmp, but I'm pretty satisfied for now (which is very unusual).

Let me know how your 797 turns out!

David

Actually I ended up getting the LM4562 for a steal and it is the single chip that I heard sounded good, and it was cheap enough where if I do not like it I am not concerned about it. How long does shipping usually take with tam? Is it slow delivery?(over a week to two?) I am in the eastcost up in CT.

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 38
  Actually I ended up getting the LM4562 for a steal and it is the single chip that I heard sounded good, and it was cheap enough where if I do not like it I am not concerned about it. How long does shipping usually take with tam? Is it slow delivery?(over a week to two?) I am in the eastcost up in CT.

It depends on how quickly he gets around to it :) My amp took a couple weeks since it's coming from China. The replacement chip was faster, but arrived broken so I'm not sure what that's worth. I've heard varying stories from different people.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #38 of 38
Hmm I guess we will see, He has not really answered anything I have send him via contact on tam's about basic purchase questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back