Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #4,306 of 5,176
Quote:
Here you go buddy. Happy belated birthday (or early birthday
tongue.gif
)!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587526/three-dac-comparison-fiio-e10-hrt-music-streamer-ii-m-stage-usb

I'd forgotten about that thread
tongue.gif

These days I would say you're fine with a good FiiO DAC, the ODAC, or maybe the Modi too (haven't heard it).  One reason I sold the HRT was that it seemed the soundstage was more left-right and it had less depth than the ODAC, which was something that bothered me eventually. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #4,307 of 5,176
Quote:

I'd forgotten about that thread
tongue.gif

These days I would say you're fine with a good FiiO DAC, the ODAC, or maybe the Modi too (haven't heard it).  One reason I sold the HRT was that it seemed the soundstage was more left-right and it had less depth than the ODAC, which was something that bothered me eventually. 

That was a good review anyway.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #4,308 of 5,176
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #4,309 of 5,176
Interesting, to my ears, the DragonFly pulls a bit more detail and slightly wider soundstage then HRT Music streamer II on a tube amp. So I guess the “DF + M-Stage” should be a good pair, although DF is a little harsher than HRT MSII.

Has anyone tried using a DragonFly with M-Stage?

I haven't heard most of those DACs, but the iBasso D12 works quite well with the M Stage.
The D12 is a clearer DAC than my FiiO E17, the E17 has a bit of grit and adds a bit of "fzzzzzzt" to any track you play thru it.
For whatever reasosn the D12 lacks this noise or distortion or whatever you want to call it.
It takes a while for your ear to get used to the difference between the two DACs, but once you get used to it, the E17 just adds a bit more hash to the music.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=63

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508094/the-ibasso-d12-dual-dacs-images-new-sysconcept-optical-cable-topkit-by-hiflight

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,310 of 5,176
Quote:
Does anyone know how sound quality of the DAC is on the M-Stage w/USB? 

I am using a M-Stage with USB with my Sennheiser HD600. The USB section is good enough but it can be improved. I tried a Musical Fidelity V-DAC (mark I)which sounds clearer and more dynamic than the internal USB of the M-Stage. Instrument separation is better with the V-DAC.

I am sure there are better DAC than the USB DAC of M-Stage but for casual listening, the internal USB is good enough for me.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #4,311 of 5,176
Has anyone compared the Matrix M-Stage to the Schiit Magni? In my country, the Magni is nearly half the price of the Matrix M-Stage, although the M stage can act as a preamp, which is a strong point of contention.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,312 of 5,176
From all I have read m stage is a step up from the revised asgard 1. Magni isn't even close. Dunno about a2.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #4,313 of 5,176
From all I have read m stage is a step up from the revised asgard 1. Magni isn't even close. Dunno about a2.

Well if you "read it" it must be true! I read that Bigfoot was spotted in Rhode Island so that must be true as well.
Has anyone compared the Matrix M-Stage to the Schiit Magni? In my country, the Magni is nearly half the price of the Matrix M-Stage, although the M stage can act as a preamp, which is a strong point of contention.

I own both, the M-stage is warmer and more "musical" then the Magni, the Magni is more clinical and neutral. I suppose it would depend on your preference.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4,314 of 5,176
I own both, the M-stage is warmer and more "musical" then the Magni, the Magni is more clinical and neutral. I suppose it would depend on your preference.

Thanks! But does anyone know how does the matrix m stage compare to a tube amp like the littledot mkiv? I intend to use either one with the Modi DAC and Senn HD600s and many reviews stated that the mkiv and HD600 have good synergy. Never really heard of people with the m stage and HD600 though.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #4,315 of 5,176
Thanks! But does anyone know how does the matrix m stage compare to a tube amp like the littledot mkiv? I intend to use either one with the Modi DAC and Senn HD600s and many reviews stated that the mkiv and HD600 have good synergy. Never really heard of people with the m stage and HD600 though.

I do not own or have not heard  any of the LD series of amps, so I will refrain from commenting.

I do like the HD600 off of the M-stage. I like the HD600 more off of the Lyr/EF-5 (with better tubes), there is a special synergy to my ears with tubes and the HD600/650.For the money,  the M-stage is a very "tube-like" great sounding amp, it is very musical and plush sounding. Upgrade the OPA and it is a fantastic amp.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,316 of 5,176
I found myself enjoying much more the K701 on the M Stage than the HD650, and I think it's a question of how it power the both headphones. Power minds nothing but how you power it means everything.

1 Watt = 1Volt x 1 Ampere

Low impedance and high sensivity headphones needs power with Ampere dependence (power watts based on more ampere quantity and less volts).
Low impedance and low sensivity headphones needs power with Ampere and Volt dependence (very complicated to find the optimal point) It's the case of the K701.
High impedance headphones with good sensivity needs power with Volt dependence (power watts based on more volts quantity and less amperes). Case of HD6XX.

My M Stage sounds pretty good with K701 at +18db gain and less turn on volumen control. But I find myself enjoying more the HD650 with +10db gain and turning more the volumen control. Maybe Volumen control increase/decrease the Volts and the gain only changes the Amperes cuantity on the electrical power to feed the headphones and thats why I feel that...

Anyway M Stage it's a warm kind of amplifier and will pairs very well with more analitycal headphones... tube amplifiers gives lots of volts and for that reason maybe works better with HD6XX.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #4,317 of 5,176
The volume control basically increases/decreases the output voltage.
The gain settings are actually Voltage gain settings.

Output Current is actually a function of the combination of output voltage and headphone impedance.

Try reading this link:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #4,318 of 5,176
Hey guys i am about to buy this amp and change the OPamp to AD8610 so i use it with my TH600, what do you think? 

also do i need to go for 2x DIP to DIP Dual to Mono Opamp PCB Adapter so i install 2x AD8610? or the AD8610 is daul so i only need one ??  i saw few people adding two opamps, what benefits do they get from double opamp. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,319 of 5,176
  Hey guys i am about to buy this amp and change the OPamp to AD8610 so i use it with my TH600, what do you think? 

also do i need to go for 2x DIP to DIP Dual to Mono Opamp PCB Adapter so i install 2x AD8610? or the AD8610 is daul so i only need one ??  i saw few people adding two opamps, what benefits do they get from double opamp. 

I would be curious to know why you chose the AD8610? Not saying it's a bad choice, just wondering where you got that particular opamp idea from? I have already posted my preference in this thread. Some say that using an adapter and two mono opamps gets better sound. It did in my case but I guess it depends on the implementation. I think if you are going to be using lots of sockets to get there it may not be such a great idea. I bought a combo that is soldered to the adapter. 

I would say you can certainly improve the performance of the M Stage by changing the opamps but you can also hurt the sound quality with the wrong choice. I tried some that were god awful. The rest of the chain, the dac the usb connection and your choice of headphones have a lot to do with the results in rolling opamps.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #4,320 of 5,176

I would be curious to know why you chose the AD8610? Not saying it's a bad choice, just wondering where you got that particular opamp idea from? I have already posted my preference in this thread. Some say that using an adapter and two mono opamps gets better sound. It did in my case but I guess it depends on the implementation. I think if you are going to be using lots of sockets to get there it may not be such a great idea. I bought a combo that is soldered to the adapter. 

I would say you can certainly improve the performance of the M Stage by changing the opamps but you can also hurt the sound quality with the wrong choice. I tried some that were god awful. The rest of the chain, the dac the usb connection and your choice of headphones have a lot to do with the results in rolling opamps.

i had Uha-6S.MKII before with the same opamp, i am also considering op627 since it is with sparkling highs and nice treble yet the mids isn't the best on it. 

my plan now is to get two adapters for each opamp and use 2x of them on each adapter, just wanted to ask here if this plan is wrong or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back