Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #4,231 of 5,176
Quote:
I don't even have a Multi button, nor rich text editing, because I don't have Java and/or a newer version of IE. It's annoying - I have to use HTML to do line breaks or add images.  
Here's the right issue :D
nina-dobev-cosmopolitan-cover-inline.jpg

Will this device accept a full size TRS jack?

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,232 of 5,176
Yessir.  ;D

UL says:

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #4,233 of 5,176
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #4,235 of 5,176
Aug 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4,236 of 5,176
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,237 of 5,176
So I've spent the last couple hours A-Bing the gain settings. I think I've decided I like 10 the best. 0 sounds good too, but there isn't quite enough headroom there for quieter songs. 18 definitely adds (or takes away) something to the sound of my Q701s that I don't like. A little less detail, clarity, soundstage, whatever you want to call it. I would suggest anyone who gets an M-Stage, just start with 0 and if that gives you enough volume for everything you listen too, stick with that. Otherwise move up to 10, which seems like the best compromise between listening volume and sound quality.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #4,238 of 5,176
Quote:
So I've spent the last couple hours A-Bing the gain settings. I think I've decided I like 10 the best. 0 sounds good too, but there isn't quite enough headroom there for quieter songs. 18 definitely adds (or takes away) something to the sound of my Q701s that I don't like. A little less detail, clarity, soundstage, whatever you want to call it. I would suggest anyone who gets an M-Stage, just start with 0 and if that gives you enough volume for everything you listen too, stick with that. Otherwise move up to 10, which seems like the best compromise between listening volume and sound quality.

I found this also. The gain setting changes much more than the gain. I keep it on 10 with the stock 2134op for now. I tried the op627 class A mod from Tam but it was terrible at any gain setting. Overly warm and dark. I have some opamps coming today or tomorrow to try but the stock 2134 is really very good in this application which is probably why they chose it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,239 of 5,176
Quote:
I found this also. The gain setting changes much more than the gain. I keep it on 10 with the stock 2134op for now. I tried the op627 class A mod from Tam but it was terrible at any gain setting. Overly warm and dark. I have some opamps coming today or tomorrow to try but the stock 2134 is really very good in this application which is probably why they chose it.

With an LM4562 I leave the gain on 10 dB.
I use AKG Q701 'phones.
That combination works best for me.
I'm not crazy about the Class A OP627 and I'm not big on 18 or 20 dB of gain.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #4,240 of 5,176
Quote:

With an LM4562 I leave the gain on 10 dB.
I use AKG Q701 'phones.
That combination works best for me.
I'm not crazy about the Class A OP627 and I'm not big on 18 or 20 dB of gain.

Indeed gain 18 chokes sound stage a little bit. But thankfully on the giant sound stage of the fully open backed dt 990s it can handle that extra voltage and well MEAT. So a win win for the Dt 990! 

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #4,241 of 5,176
Today I got the LME49710HAX2 opamp built on an adapter. I've been listening to it for several hours and it raises the M Stage to a completely different level. The soundstage opens in width and depth and height to an almost limitless size. I have some good tube amps sitting here including the WA-2 and it cannot produce the incredible soundstage I am hearing with these opamps in the M Stage. Not only is it huge but the placement of instruments is extremely precise with incredible layering. I am listening on T1's so lesser headphones may not get all of this. Tonal quality is very realistic with the ability to see through the music. Transparency is astounding. 

I have been a tube guy all my life and I have owned several solid state amps always searching for the one that would bring me the same kind of magic I get with good tube amps. The basic M Stage is very good but the WA-2 is better in almost every way. Now with the addition of these opamps the little M Stage gives the WA-2 a real battle and beats it in total soundstage presentation. I would not have thought that possible but the image through the M Stage with this opamp set is positively 3D. 

Here is a link to the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

I have nothing to do with the people that are making this. I just ordered off Ebay and I wanted to share the results. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #4,242 of 5,176
Quote:
Today I got the LME49710HAX2 opamp built on an adapter. I've been listening to it for several hours and it raises the M Stage to a completely different level. The soundstage opens in width and depth and height to an almost limitless size. I have some good tube amps sitting here including the WA-2 and it cannot produce the incredible soundstage I am hearing with these opamps in the M Stage. Not only is it huge but the placement of instruments is extremely precise with incredible layering. I am listening on T1's so lesser headphones may not get all of this. Tonal quality is very realistic with the ability to see through the music. Transparency is astounding. 

I have been a tube guy all my life and I have owned several solid state amps always searching for the one that would bring me the same kind of magic I get with good tube amps. The basic M Stage is very good but the WA-2 is better in almost every way. Now with the addition of these opamps the little M Stage gives the WA-2 a real battle and beats it in total soundstage presentation. I would not have thought that possible but the image through the M Stage with this opamp set is positively 3D. 

Here is a link to the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

I have nothing to do with the people that are making this. I just ordered off Ebay and I wanted to share the results. 

You have piqued my interest! 

Just to clarify could I get 2 of these from TI( http://www.ti.com/product/lme49710#samplebuy) and put them on a DIP adapter (ebay) by squeezing them on (like this)?

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #4,243 of 5,176
Quote:

You have piqued my interest! 

Just to clarify could I get 2 of these from TI( http://www.ti.com/product/lme49710#samplebuy) and put them on a DIP adapter (ebay) by squeezing them on (like this)?

If you are using the same part then you should get the same results. If you look at the photo of the one I bought you can see that the opamps are not mounted on a dip adapter. The little pcb was specially made to accept the opamps directly soldered to the board. I am not saying that makes a difference (although it might) only that it is a lot cleaner with a more solid connection. Of course, you can build your own connector with the the same opamps and expect the same results if it is put together as well.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #4,244 of 5,176
A quick question, any one ever compare the Matrix to an Audio GD SE 10.32? I'm aggressively pursuing a pair of balanced cans, and though the 10.32 SE might be a nice step up. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,245 of 5,176
Quote:
A quick question, any one ever compare the Matrix to an Audio GD SE 10.32? I'm aggressively pursuing a pair of balanced cans, and though the 10.32 SE might be a nice step up. 

I can't answer your question directly but I have owned an Audio-gd C2.2 and it was a very good amp (single ended). I have owned balanced equipment and what you get is better separation which equals better sound stage, usually bigger and better defined. Until I installed these new opamps outlined in my previous post I would not have believed it possible to get the same results without going balanced. Before you spend thousands upgrading your system I suggest you try the mod in your Matrix and see what that brings. You might be surprised. I sure was.

You might also consider giving a listen to some statement quality headphones like the T1 or HD800 or some of the top orthos with your modded matrix you might save a bundle on changing to an all balanced setup. Mid level balanced is not going to be better than top quality SE in my experience. On the other hand top quality balanced will still get you there but for a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back