Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,066 of 5,176
Quote:

Thanks for the insight! The cans are essentially new, they were returned as unwanted by the previous owner. I will let them fully burn in before making the final judgment. I recall that the pair of k701s I had before conveyed the same unnatural feeling to music when I used them with the Little Dot MK3 and that pair was fully burned in. I'm not fully convinced that the sound will change fundamentally though.

That's certainly interesting to hear. What other headphones do you have? What DAC do you have this hooked up to?

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #4,067 of 5,176
I have just recently returned to this hobby so at the moment I own only k702s, matrix m-stage and topping d20 DAC. I have owned AKG K240DF, K701, HD600, HD650, Beyerdynamic DT150 and a bunch of other headphones not worth mentioning. I really liked the K240DFs, better than the HD650s, they were tonally natural but didn't like the K701s at all, they were the worst out of them all. They had the biggest sound stage, great amount of detail but nothing sounded real on them. HD600s and K240DFs are also studio and analytical headphones but they possessed musicality. I'm afraid that this basic characteristic will not go away, the sibilance could be tamed with longer burn in though.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4,068 of 5,176
Quote:
I have just recently returned to this hobby so at the moment I own only k702s, matrix m-stage and topping d20 DAC. I have owned AKG K240DF, K701, HD600, HD650, Beyerdynamic DT150 and a bunch of other headphones not worth mentioning. I really liked the K240DFs, better than the HD650s, they were tonally natural but didn't like the K701s at all, they were the worst out of them all. They had the biggest sound stage, great amount of detail but nothing sounded real on them. HD600s and K240DFs are also studio and analytical headphones but they possessed musicality. I'm afraid that this basic characteristic will not go away, the sibilance could be tamed with longer burn in though.

I'm not super familiar with your DAC, so it might be possible the DAC has a touch of brightness. Try plugging into a different source and see if you get any different results? 

The K701 tends to really polarize people. Either they really like the headphone, or they hate it because of the sibilant top and light bass. It seems like you've got all the components lined up to have a pretty good sound. I'd let the Matrix settle in a bit more and depending on how many hours the K701 have gotten, maybe give them a few hours of burn in as well?

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4,069 of 5,176
D20 is probably as decent as m-stage is compared to some of its more expensive counterparts made in west. Great value DAC is what I'm trying to say. :) Do solid state amps like m-stage benefit much from burn in? My LD3 tube amp changed the sound a lot during the first 10-50 hours but tubes operate differently. I plugged them in my Yamaha receiver, there are some minute differences.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4,070 of 5,176
Quote:
D20 is probably as decent as m-stage is compared to some of its more expensive counterparts made in west. Great value DAC is what I'm trying to say. :) Do solid state amps like m-stage benefit much from burn in? My LD3 tube amp changed the sound a lot during the first 10-50 hours but tubes operate differently. I plugged them in my Yamaha receiver, there are some minute differences.

I find the Mstage "warms up" a little bit after being on for 10 minutes or so. Nothing like a good tube amp though :)

If you've got a receiver I'd give a good listen.  I'd make sure they get about 50 hours of burn in. If it turns out you're still thinking these headphones are way too bright, it could be that you're ears and the K701 are just not meant to be. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #4,071 of 5,176
Quote:
Hello,

I'm listening to a brand new m-stage amp and akg k702s, which have had maybe a dozen of hours of listening time. So far this combination is performing poorly - the sound is sibilant, very metallic and tonally  off. Has anyone else had similar experience and the sound signature later changed for better due to burn-in?

Thanks,
Cas

What is the gain setting on your Matrix amp?

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4,072 of 5,176
Currently I have set the gain to 18db, it gives more slam so to speak. I did a little bit of research and the consensus is that the k701s require a very long burn in so I'll keep my combo for a while. I really hope that the sibilance and harshness in treble region will fade with time.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4,073 of 5,176
Just wanted to report back on the burn-in process and how the sound has changed. I really have started to like what I'm hearing, the tables have turned and now sibilance and harshness can be heard on some records whilst before it was there on most. Dynamics are much better also, so is the bass. Both the amp and the k702s have been burning in for 30 hours or so and still seem to be improving. Quite a change!

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #4,074 of 5,176
Quote:
Just wanted to report back on the burn-in process and how the sound has changed. I really have started to like what I'm hearing, the tables have turned and now sibilance and harshness can be heard on some records whilst before it was there on most. Dynamics are much better also, so is the bass. Both the amp and the k702s have been burning in for 30 hours or so and still seem to be improving. Quite a change!

Awesome! Glad to hear. I don't know why the K701 line is so hard to "burn in" but they certainly made me a believer in burn in, to some extent. I think someone said they changed for him along the lines of 500 hours! 
size]

I don't think I've ever bought a pair new and burned them in for that long, so I can't verify personally, but you might keep a loose tally of the hours 
size]

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4,077 of 5,176
Quote:

Awesome! Glad to hear. I don't know why the K701 line is so hard to "burn in" but they certainly made me a believer in burn in, to some extent. I think someone said they changed for him along the lines of 500 hours! 
size]

I don't think I've ever bought a pair new and burned them in for that long, so I can't verify personally, but you might keep a loose tally of the hours 
size]

A few of us have reported changes with over 500 hours of burn in. I literally left mine running for like 6+ months on end or more when I had them. Sounds crazy, but one day they suddenly sounded significantly smoother-to the degree that there was almost no sibilance to speak of. It was around the 800-1000 hour mark. I thought I was crazy, but couldn't deny the extreme chance (no other equipment changes either)-then I ended up reading another couple of guys said the same thing-800ish hours brought more changes. Bottom line-ALWAYS have them running. :wink:

-Daniel

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #4,078 of 5,176
Is there a listing of all the different revisions somewhere? How many revisions were there anyways? And what changed with each revision? I know that at some point the power transformer was covered to reduce interference, and at some point they added holes on the side of the casing. But when?

Also, what is the going rate for these in the used market?

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #4,079 of 5,176
Quote:
A few of us have reported changes with over 500 hours of burn in. I literally left mine running for like 6+ months on end or more when I had them. Sounds crazy, but one day they suddenly sounded significantly smoother-to the degree that there was almost no sibilance to speak of. It was around the 800-1000 hour mark. I thought I was crazy, but couldn't deny the extreme chance (no other equipment changes either)-then I ended up reading another couple of guys said the same thing-800ish hours brought more changes. Bottom line-ALWAYS have them running. :wink:

-Daniel

Huh, interesting!

I'm hoping my K702. 64AE opens up a bit as time goes on. For all the hype about these sounding amazing and such, they definitely lose the big benefits of the original line (namely, the very open sound). Guess time will have to tell this one. I think I might try to nab a very old K701 at some point if they don't open up pretty soon. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #4,080 of 5,176
What I find that on some records the k702s actually sound very good, never mind the required burn-in time. It really varies from record to record and it makes me wonder if that's just a bad mastering job (boost the bass and treble and compress it all) and my headphones are just presenting that. You can hear deep in some, make out all the instruments and pinpoint them precisely but in some you have this mush and screech and I skip the track immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back