Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,631 of 5,176
Quote:
Great choice, the HD and the M-Stage are both warm sounding equipment which neutralizes the DT880's a fair bit.

+1 i agree with the mstage

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3,633 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi im from the uk i have a matrix m stage and akg q 701.I whant to get opa627 i see there is a seller on ebay called coolbaby11.is his opa627 op amps real or fake and is he a good seller.Thank you for any help.

I can't say anything about coolbaby11 since I was uncertain about the seller. I think most people here on Head-fi would recommend Tam Audio which is called coolfungadget on Ebay with a very high rating / trusted Ebay seller.

Alternatively you can visit their online store where they actually sell the OPA627 Class A op-amp mod: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=opa627&product_id=91

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,634 of 5,176
Quote:
I can't say anything about coolbaby11 since I was uncertain about the seller. I think most people here on Head-fi would recommend Tam Audio which is called coolfungadget on Ebay with a very high rating / trusted Ebay seller.

Alternatively you can visit their online store where they actually sell the OPA627 Class A op-amp mod: http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=opa627&product_id=91

Yep tamaudio is the way to go..i bought there also..no problems at all..

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,635 of 5,176
Hello all

I received a M-Stage V2 this week and have thrown in a op627 class A biased opamp and love the sound I'm hearing from this bargain amp paired with a pair of Senn HD650's. Side note, justed wanted to mention that the M-stage amp was despatched on Friday 25th from a seller based in the same city as myself and I ordered the op amp upgrade later that same evening from TamAudio. The M-Stage arrived on Tuesday this week and the opamp arrived the following day. I have to say I am mightily impressed with the speed of shipping from China.
smile.gif

I have seen a Graham Slee Novo amp available for a potentially good price and I have to admit that I am tempted to try it as I have heard good things about it being paired with Senn HD650's. My question is, has anyone here any experience with both these amps and the HD650's? 
I wanted to know how the M-stage compares to the Novo, maybe I can save myself some money because the M-stage has definitely brought a different level of clarity and authority to the HD650's compared to the intergrated headphone amp on the Teac UD-H01 Dac that I had been previously using. The upgrade bug has unfortunately taken grip and I am looking to get the best sound I can from a limited budget but would like to avoid disappointment from a rash purchase.

I own a Graham Slee Voyager portable amp and I absolutely love the sound signature but I would like some opinions on how the Novo compares to the M-stage.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #3,636 of 5,176
Quote:
Should sound very good, the warmness of the M-stage will compliment the Dt880s.

Quote:
I think it's a good pairing if you had wanted a warmer presentation since the beyers are a little bright to begin with. Even better is to roll with Class A op-amp modding with LM4562 and OPA627. But if you want a neutral representation, then O2 is a better alternative. IMO the M-Stage will drive the beyers very well - but taste and personal preference has a major role in the discussion of amp/HP pairing.

Quote:
Great choice, the HD and the M-Stage are both warm sounding equipment which neutralizes the DT880's a fair bit.

So its better to get the M-Stage OPA627AP Class A Biasing mod (2012 Version) from Tamaudio? Its a $30 difference from the stock one.
Can I hook up my KRK speakers on the output of the M-Stage?

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,637 of 5,176
Quote:

Quote:
Yep tamaudio is the way to go..i bought there also..no problems at all..

Thank you very much would i have to pay inport because im in uk? thank you.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #3,638 of 5,176
Quote:

For something as little as $30 for an op-amp? Usually no.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #3,639 of 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1llest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So its better to get the M-Stage OPA627AP Class A Biasing mod (2012 Version) from Tamaudio? Its a $30 difference from the stock one.
Can I hook up my KRK speakers on the output of the M-Stage?

It has two RCA output's which the sound is sent to when there is nothing connected to the headphone jack (as of the latest version)

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #3,640 of 5,176
Quote:

I didnt pay anything eventhough the dutch customs are blood hounds when concerning paying for customs 
redface.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3,641 of 5,176
Quote:
For something as little as $30 for an op-amp? Usually no.

Quote:
I didnt pay anything eventhough the dutch customs are blood hounds when concerning paying for customs 
redface.gif

Thank you for your help.i have read what people are saying that the opa627ap is a good match with the m stage is it a good match for my akg q 701 thank you for the help.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #3,642 of 5,176
Quote:

Thank you for your help.i have read what people are saying that the opa627ap is a good match with the m stage is it a good match for my akg q 701 thank you for the help.

Hi! Don't expect that rolling OPs will give you a day and night difference in sound. Your Matrix M-Stage will still be a Matrix M-Stage even after the upgrade
wink.gif
. The sound will "tighten up" a bit with a little more open high end and little better details. I have modded with an LM4562. I ordered a free sample from Texas Instruments (National Semicondustors) : http://www.ti.com/product/lm4562
Maybe you should start there.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #3,644 of 5,176
Quote:

Hi! Don't expect that rolling OPs will give you a day and night difference in sound. Your Matrix M-Stage will still be a Matrix M-Stage even after the upgrade
wink.gif
. The sound will "tighten up" a bit with a little more open high end and little better details. I have modded with an LM4562. I ordered a free sample from Texas Instruments (National Semicondustors) : http://www.ti.com/product/lm4562
Maybe you should start there.

Thank you for all your help i bought the opa627ap from tamaudio.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,645 of 5,176
I've been away from this thread for a while - wow, lot's of posts to catch up on!

I wanted to pop in to advise an update - Matrix now has an official distributor covering the USA. HERE is a link to their website which is matrix-digi-usa.com

Orders will still ship from the factory in China but any type of technical support or return shipping for RMA will be handled by the local agent in New Jersey. This is kind of a big deal in my opinion, because return shipping on stuff like this can be rather expensive. He is also a native English speaker which is helpful. 

No disrespect to excellent sellers like Jeffrey Tam or wsz0304 from eBay - those folks have done a great job supporting the brand and many of us have had positive experiences with them. But as Matrix expands they are starting to have dedicated distributors for certain parts of the world. That's a good thing in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back