Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3,586 of 5,176
Check their Terms&Conditions, not much there, but some that you may want to know

Quote:
Has anyone ever had to return anything to Tam Audio before? I've made an inquiry about return/warranty on the M-Stage but no response for 2 days now. While another unrelated question regarding a different amp was answered almost immediately.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,587 of 5,176
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #3,588 of 5,176
Quote:

UL costs tens of thousands upfront, and requires even more every year to 'maintain' the listing. This all adds up to a lot very quickly, not to mention in a device like this, not only does the layout of the components need to get approved but every component also does.  UL helps "peace of mind", and a lot of times the device is just as safe before testing as it is after, so you're just paying extra for it. This could be argued all day though. 

Been pondering this for the last day or two.

This is like saying we don't need a police force because most people are law abiding citizens, so why do we need police? Oh, and BTW, they are really expensive!

As you point out, a lot of times the device is just as safe before testing as it is after.
What about those products that had to be re-engineered to meet UL?

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #3,589 of 5,176
Quote:

Been pondering this for the last day or two.

This is like saying we don't need a police force because most people are law abiding citizens, so why do we need police? Oh, and BTW, they are really expensive!

As you point out, a lot of times the device is just as safe before testing as it is after.
What about those products that had to be re-engineered to meet UL?

Haha! Glad I gave you something to ponder. 

I think my point was that in many cases UL isn't necessary for a lot of products, but UL has weaseled themselves into a position where a product is expected to have it. Many times it ends up providing a pretty serious barrier to entry, and in the end the consumer pays for what often isn't even necessary.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,590 of 5,176
Quote:
Haha! Glad I gave you something to ponder. 

I think my point was that in many cases UL isn't necessary for a lot of products, but UL has weaseled themselves into a position where a product is expected to have it. Many times it ends up providing a pretty serious barrier to entry, and in the end the consumer pays for what often isn't even necessary.

So I pondered this a bit more.............

I come at this from a UL electrical safety background; I've had a few products UL and/or CSA approved.
Some of this equipment was installed in outdoor enclosures so they tested to ensure that the enclosures would not leak after was in service for 10 years!
They often found something that was not quite right, and they also have the facilities for performing outdoor equipment enviromental testing.
In addition, it gave our customers peace of mind.
A multi-national company would not want to buy a piece of electrical equipment from us just based on our claim that it was safe.
For any piece of electrical equipment hooked up to 120 Vac it is nice to know that it won't burn the house down and you won't get an electrical shock if you touch it.

OTOH, you point out that they have weaseled themselves into testing other products. I can only imagine. Ultra safe pencils? 
angry_face.gif

I can't really comment on that!

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3,591 of 5,176
A couuple of days ago i modded my matrix with lm4562. I am not really sure that i like the sound. The sound is too bright with my akg cans. The bass is leaner and the treble is more forward. The sound is cleaner a bit and my hd650 sound a bit clearer. Do you believe burn-in will change anything?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,592 of 5,176
Quote:
A couuple of days ago i modded my matrix with lm4562. I am not really sure that i like the sound. The sound is too bright with my akg cans. The bass is leaner and the treble is more forward. The sound is cleaner a bit and my hd650 sound a bit clearer. Do you believe burn-in will change anything?

I can attest to a certain change in sound when using mine. In the start it felt too bright, but after 20h+ it felt as if it darkened a bit. The treble was smoother and the bass felt as if it extended slightly more. I wouldn't call the sound more controlled, but more open and smoother. The change wasn't that big I think, but it was definitaly noticable; unless it was me getting used to the sound. But I actually felt that it sounded more mellow/darker than my LDMKIII, but at the expense of a bit tighter soundstage.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,593 of 5,176
Quote:
I can attest to a certain change in sound when using mine. In the start it felt too bright, but after 20h+ it felt as if it darkened a bit. The treble was smoother and the bass felt as if it extended slightly more. I wouldn't call the sound more controlled, but more open and smoother. The change wasn't that big I think, but it was definitaly noticable; unless it was me getting used to the sound. But I actually felt that it sounded more mellow/darker than my LDMKIII, but at the expense of a bit tighter soundstage.

Thanks. How is the bass response compared to the Little Dot, with and without mod?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,594 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks. How is the bass response compared to the Little Dot, with and without mod?

Someone might disagree with me, but to my ears it felt as if there was more bass extension on the M-Stage. Now I can't recollect exactly how it differed with the stock op-amp, since the amp got fried, remember
smile.gif

For the LD I used Mullard M8100/CV4010 which are considered to be rather bass oriented, but it still felt as if there was more slam and more presence on the M-Stage. I think output power could have some play in this? Although IIRC both have approx the same mW @ 300ohm (when using HD650). With the PRO900 I basically had to use the M-Stage, but then it also benefited from damping.

Overall if I should compare the two I would say the LDMKIII is mellow and smooth and more open. The M-Stage sounds almost a tad darker and thus it felt as if the bass had more body at the expense of treble and soundstage. Consequently I sold the Little Dot cause I felt it was a bit too bright even with my HD650 with silver drivers.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #3,595 of 5,176
Quote:

I don't think that chip should be paired with K/Q701 without a 0.1uF ceramic C0G/NP0 capacitor soldered across the power pins.  Otherwise, ouch bright treble and lean bass.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,596 of 5,176
Quote:
Well the amp still works so I'll just use it until my house burns down and I have a Magni sitting here as a backup amp.  

No!  You will probably bake the opamp(s) next after they die for good, then your headphones will go poof! after that.  We should first figure out what's wrong with the PSU.  Did you ever put an opamp in backwards?

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,597 of 5,176
Quote:

I don't think that chip should be paired with K/Q701 without a 0.1uF ceramic C0G/NP0 capacitor soldered across the power pins.  Otherwise, ouch bright treble and lean bass.

Not only k701 sounds brighter in treble and leaner in bass. Even hd650 does and even my friend's DT880. What is acomplished by soldering that capacitor? Smoothing of some kind? Or is it low-pass filtering?

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3,598 of 5,176
Good news. I think I fixed my M-Stage. When I decided to switch op-amp again I noticed it wasn't seated properly.

My only two concerns however are 1) the horrid stench I had to endure a few days back and 2) the customer service at Tam Audio. I still haven't gotten any response on my inquiry about returning it, and this makes me anxious cause I had planned on buying a Sabre A18 from them, and considering it's a pretty expensive amplifier I would most definitely need the customer service to back me up just in case I run into any complications with it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,599 of 5,176
Not only k701 sounds brighter in treble and leaner in bass. Even hd650 does and even my friend's DT880. What is acomplished by soldering that capacitor? Smoothing of some kind? Or is it low-pass filtering?

Power supply noise filtering.
RFI/EMI.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #3,600 of 5,176
hi there guys.i could use some help. I get the humming without any source connected the to the M-stage so I do believe that it is an issue with the amp. i dont really want to send it to china and wait 2 months. is there anything i can do to fix the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back