Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,571 of 5,176
Tried plugging it back in again to see if it worked. It didnt. It just gave away an audible noise no matter what volume was set on (and even set it to 0db) - no music was heard when files where played. This was with the original op-amp still intact. So I shut it off again before anything worse could happen.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,572 of 5,176
Tried plugging it back in again to see if it worked. It didnt. It just gave away an audible noise no matter what volume was set on (and even set it to 0db) - no music was heard when files where played. This was with the original op-amp still intact. So I shut it off again before anything worse could happen.
Was the amp modded when it started to smell?

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3,573 of 5,176
Quote:
U did a opamp mod? I heared of people killing their amps because of static energy..did u use some kind of anti static gloves to exchange the opamp? Hope it will be solved soon..maybe a tip..put the original opamp back into the amp before sending it back..some brands dont like their amps being modded and then denying any warranty. I do know the mstage runs warmer with the class a mod. Good luck with it

TamAudio sells a lot of drop in replacements for the stock Op Amp.
I doubt they would deny you a warranty claim if you had installed one of the replacement Op Amps they offer.

You need a grounded Anti-static wrist band, if you really want to be safe when swapping Op amps. And unplug the amp from the wall AC.

The M Stage does not actually run any warmer if you put in a Class A modded Op Amp. The additional current draw from the Op Amp is insignificant.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #3,574 of 5,176
TamAudio sells a lot of drop in replacements for the stock Op Amp.
I doubt they would deny you a warranty claim if you had installed one of the replacement Op Amps they offer.

You need a grounded Anti-static wrist band, if you really want to be safe when swapping Op amps. And unplug the amp from the wall AC.

The M Stage does not actually run any warmer if you put in a Class A modded Op Amp. The additional current draw from the Op Amp is insignificant.

Correct about the bracelet and unplugging..and correct bout tamaudio selling mods themselves..but..if they do find out the problem comes from the opamp it will be hard for the customer to prove they didnt make the error..thats what i meant.
Well actually..my mstage ran hotter with the opa627 class a mod..never had problems though..but i believe i read about the heat thingie also in a review somewhere..as that review. Made me mod mine also :D but they also said it wasnt an issue..

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,575 of 5,176
Jan 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3,576 of 5,176
Quote:
Correct about the bracelet and unplugging..and correct bout tamaudio selling mods themselves..but..if they do find out the problem comes from the opamp it will be hard for the customer to prove they didnt make the error..thats what i meant.
Well actually..my mstage ran hotter with the opa627 class a mod..never had problems though..but i believe i read about the heat thingie also in a review somewhere..as that review. Made me mod mine also
biggrin.gif
but they also said it wasnt an issue..

The nerds answer:  
wink_face.gif

How do you know it ran hotter?
To determine this, you measure the ambient air temperature, measure the air temperature inside the M Stage, measure the temperature of various components inside the M Stage.
And you have to do this twice, once with the original Op Amp (or an unmodded Op Amp) and one more time with the Class A modded Op Amp.  And you have to ensure nothing else has changed, no air drafts, let the amp run for 4 hours before you measure temperature so temperature has stabilized. Do not change load. You would have to either input pink noise or nothing, you can't use music easily, because it is always changing in level.
If you didn't do this, you can't really say the temperature really increased!     
confused_face_2.gif

I don't think anyone here would actually do this.
I know I wouldn't!  Too much work.
And I don't have all that equipment!  LOL
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,578 of 5,176
The nerds answer:   :wink_face:
How do you know it ran hotter?
To determine this, you measure the ambient air temperature, measure the air temperature inside the M Stage, measure the temperature of various components inside the M Stage.
And you have to do this twice, once with the original Op Amp (or an unmodded Op Amp) and one more time with the Class A modded Op Amp.  And you have to ensure nothing else has changed, no air drafts, let the amp run for 4 hours before you measure temperature so temperature has stabilized. Do not change load. You would have to either input pink noise or nothing, you can't use music easily, because it is always changing in level.
If you didn't do this, you can't really say the temperature really increased!      :confused_face_2:

I don't think anyone here would actually do this.
I know I wouldn't!  Too much work.
And I don't have all that equipment!  LOL :D

Non nerds answer :p : i did a one on one test with the two opamps inside..and i let them run for 3 hours then let them cool down for an hour and try the other.. And then put my hand on top of my amp..and for me the time i had the standard opamp the amp felt not warm at all..but the modded one felt with some warmth... Maybe it was my mind playing with me..dont know.. But as i said..i used the mstage for 2 years every day without any problems..sold it in november..and i understand its still working perfectly with the new owner..and its version 1.. Without the holes in the sides...

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,579 of 5,176
Quote:

Look at those resistors!!! they are really burned. 
basshead.gif

Thats where the smell was comming from. 

Here is mine: (an old picture actually :p )

It's all part of the burn-in process, obviously
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,581 of 5,176
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #3,582 of 5,176
So how do I go about getting those two resistors replaced? :beyersmile:

Probably much more to it than you fried a couple of resistors, you probably baked a few other components too......:xf_eek:

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,583 of 5,176
Non nerds answer :p : i did a one on one test with the two opamps inside..and i let them run for 3 hours then let them cool down for an hour and try the other.. And then put my hand on top of my amp..and for me the time i had the standard opamp the amp felt not warm at all..but the modded one felt with some warmth... Maybe it was my mind playing with me..dont know.. But as i said..i used the mstage for 2 years every day without any problems..sold it in november..and i understand its still working perfectly with the new owner..and its version 1.. Without the holes in the sides...

Version 1 without holes, that's what I have.

Runs hot no matter what Op Amp I use! :D

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,585 of 5,176
Has anyone ever had to return anything to Tam Audio before? I've made an inquiry about return/warranty on the M-Stage but no response for 2 days now. While another unrelated question regarding a different amp was answered almost immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back