Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3,556 of 5,176
Quote:

He had the volume down at Zee-ro went his "event" happened.

Not too sure what you mean by "Power Input"?  The 120 Vac line?  He mentioned that his DAC "survived".

Hmmmm, guess I better not leave my M on and unattended.

Remember, that thing ain't UL approved! No CE mark either. No safety approvals of any kind.

Hrmm, I doubt this would happen if Monir were running this on a 120Vac line 
size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,557 of 5,176
220/240

And I'm kind of glad I stepped out for a moment to fetch a drink of water, otherwise it probably would've taken a longer time for me to notice the change in smell and something worse could've happened. Usually the nose gets accustomed to the change of smell in the air if it's progressive; or maybe that's just me. Anyway, I'm not gonna plug it in again and find out if it's fine. It's been more than an hour now and it still smells like a burnt plastic bag.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,558 of 5,176
Oh and also, mine is CE marked :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3,561 of 5,176
Quote:

Why is that?

UL costs tens of thousands upfront, and requires even more every year to 'maintain' the listing. This all adds up to a lot very quickly, not to mention in a device like this, not only does the layout of the components need to get approved but every component also does.  UL helps "peace of mind", and a lot of times the device is just as safe before testing as it is after, so you're just paying extra for it. This could be argued all day though. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,562 of 5,176
Jan 23, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #3,570 of 5,176
To say the least I was a little disappointed with the packaging. I mean they used the original box as the shipping parcel. Shame, the box looks really classy/premium. I also liked the M-Stage especially with LM4562 op-amp. Just have to wait and see how they deal with return shipping. I've never had to send anything back before when buying from China/USA. It's gonna suck if I have to bite into expensive shipping costs :S

U did a opamp mod? I heared of people killing their amps because of static energy..did u use some kind of anti static gloves to exchange the opamp? Hope it will be solved soon..maybe a tip..put the original opamp back into the amp before sending it back..some brands dont like their amps being modded and then denying any warranty. I do know the mstage runs warmer with the class a mod. Good luck with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back