Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3,391 of 5,176
Quote:
I have one of these units coming in a couple of weeks. Looking into better OP-AMPs right now. Is anything objectively more resolving than Class A Biased LM4562?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Just my opinion, but no, the LM4562 is The King of Neutral in the M.
I haven't bothered adding a Class A mod to mine.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #3,392 of 5,176
Just my opinion, but no, the LM4562 is The King of Neutral in the M.
I haven't bothered adding a Class A mod to mine.

Did u actually try the opa627 with class a mod? As on a review i think i Read the opa627 is better then the lm4562 soundwise..more powerfull and more soundstage. Thats why i went for the most expensive solution..the opa627 with class a :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,393 of 5,176
Quote:
opa627 opamps imho check tamaudio.com

What about opa637? Seems like it's an improved version of opa627.

Quote:
Did u actually try the opa627 with class a mod? As on a review i think i Read the opa627 is better then the lm4562 soundwise..more powerfull and more soundstage. Thats why i went for the most expensive solution..the opa627 with class a
biggrin.gif

Please post a link.
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,394 of 5,176
Quote:
What about opa637? Seems like it's an improved version of opa627.

Please post a link.
smile.gif

i wil try to find it again...i think u can try also..as it was a review about the mstage itself...and i think its spoken also on headfi and about the 637..i had contact with tamaudio concerning updating to opa637 from the opa627..and their customer service told me that it wasnt a big upgrade ( i wanted to upgrade to opa637 actually)..not worthy upgrading from opa627 anyway they told me...its a bit better yes...and if u need to buy first opa mod..then its better to take the 637..BUT..i understand that with the opa637 the mstage runs hotter...i cant say that from experience as i never had the opa637 myself..but i did have the 627...and it did wonders to my mstage that i just sold a month ago..

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3,395 of 5,176
Quote:
Did u actually try the opa627 with class a mod? As on a review i think i Read the opa627 is better then the lm4562 soundwise..more powerfull and more soundstage. Thats why i went for the most expensive solution..the opa627 with class a
biggrin.gif

Yes, I have tried both versions of an OPA627.
I thought the LM4562 sounded cleaner and purer sounding.
I thought the OPA627s sounded slightly foggier.
It is just my opinion, and please note, the review is nothing more than someone else's opinion.
Try them all out yourself, and form your own opinion, I don't think the Op Amps are expensive.
In addition, no matter what Op Amp I  tried, the Matrix M still sounds like a Matrix M Stage.
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,396 of 5,176
Quote:

Yes, I have tried both versions of an OPA627.
I thought the LM4562 sounded cleaner and purer sounding.
I thought the OPA627s sounded slightly foggier.
It is just my opinion, and please note, the review is nothing more than someone else's opinion.
Try them all out yourself, and form your own opinion, I don't think the Op Amps are expensive.
In addition, no matter what Op Amp I  tried, the Matrix M still sounds like a Matrix M Stage.
beerchug.gif

i agree on both things u said here.but i suppose with foggier u mean the 4562 sounds a bit thinner and less bassy..in that sense its indeed more detaillike....its ofcourse personal..and yeah..its not expensive..and yeah..in the end its still the best sounding amp i ever heard under 400 usd or even more expensive..and i tried lots of amps..and they all failed..until i heard my 337..and only that amp gave me the reason to update to another amp for my he500..i also listened to burson's and the 3322 of the darkvoice..and for my ears..only my recent amp was actually a bigger step upwards...its that good! and i loved every second listening to it. and i am almost sure..if i didnt (by accident) listened to the 337 i probably still had my mstage today.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #3,397 of 5,176
Thanks for your feedback!
smile.gif

Might be a stupid question, but... Can all of the op-amps be installed in pairs (using something like this).
Just wondering whether it's going to work with 2x LM4562NAs, or if I can only use one of these on a single socket biasing adapter.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3,398 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback!
smile.gif

Might be a stupid question, but... Can all of the op-amps be installed in pairs (using something like this).
Just wondering whether it's going to work with 2x LM4562NAs, or if I can only use one of these on a single socket biasing adapter.

The LM4562NA is a dual channel opamp, you need only one.
When people are using single-channel opamps they have to use some sort of pairing, but not with the NA's

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #3,399 of 5,176
Quote:
i agree on both things u said here.but i suppose with foggier u mean the 4562 sounds a bit thinner and less bassy..in that sense its indeed more detaillike....its ofcourse personal..and yeah..its not expensive..and yeah..in the end its still the best sounding amp i ever heard under 400 usd or even more expensive..and i tried lots of amps..and they all failed..until i heard my 337..and only that amp gave me the reason to update to another amp for my he500..i also listened to burson's and the 3322 of the darkvoice..and for my ears..only my recent amp was actually a bigger step upwards...its that good! and i loved every second listening to it. and i am almost sure..if i didnt (by accident) listened to the 337 i probably still had my mstage today.
wink.gif

Here's where I come from:
I feel the bone stock M Stage is a bit too warm and dark for my tastes, so I was trying to reduce that and I found a bit of what I was looking for in the LM4562.

OTOH, I still like to use a tube amp with 'phones......but nothing too dark.
Right now I use the 336C with 600 Ohm DT880s.

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3,400 of 5,176
Here's where I come from:
I feel the bone stock M Stage is a bit too warm and dark for my tastes, so I was trying to reduce that and I found a bit of what I was looking for in the LM4562.

OTOH, I still like to use a tube amp with 'phones......but nothing too dark.
Right now I use the 336C with 600 Ohm DT880s.

Then uhave to try the 337.. Its even less dark then the 336c..and much stronger! :D

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3,401 of 5,176
Any word or reviews on the M-Stage DAC? (The standalone one, not the crummy one that comes with the M-Stage Amp USB.)

I did a search for it, but there weren't very many reviews or posts on them. So I was wondering if there were some people who have purchased one who hasn't written about them yet... ?

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #3,402 of 5,176
Then uhave to try the 337.. Its even less dark then the 336c..and much stronger! :D

LOL!
Thanks for the tip, but I think my next headphone amp will be a mega SS amp with balanced ins and outs! :xf_eek:

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3,403 of 5,176
LOL!
Thanks for the tip, but I think my next headphone amp will be a mega SS amp with balanced ins and outs! :xf_eek:

Then i guess u try the violectric hpa v181 or the shiit mjolnir or even the pseudo balanced yulong a18 sabre. :wink:

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #3,404 of 5,176
Then i guess u try the violectric hpa v181 or the shiit mjolnir or even the pseudo balanced yulong a18 sabre. :wink:

Yikes!
Keep me away from the psuedo balanced Yulong!

Throw the Bryston into the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back