Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Apr 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2,748 of 5,176
Anyone know if the DAC M-Stage is any good? I'm currently using an Audinst HUD-mx1 for both DAC and AMP, and I'm considering getting an M-Stage. Should I replace my HUD-mx1 with a DAC M-Stage or keep it as a DAC and just get the normal M-Stage as an AMP?

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #2,749 of 5,176

Quote:
Any experiences from people with the D2k / m-stage combo?
Waiting on D2k's in the post so keen to know..

I use my M-stage with my D-5000s and the mixture  works well together. I change the OPA to the  LM4562NA from the OPA627AP x 2 on a class A biasing adapter that I run for my other cans whenever I use my Denons, a subtle change but one I appreciate to tame the highs of them.   To answer your question, I think you will be happy with  that combination.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2,750 of 5,176

Quote:

I use my M-stage with my D-5000s and the mixture  works well together. I change the OPA to the  LM4562NA from the OPA627AP x 2 on a class A biasing adapter that I run for my other cans whenever I use my Denons, a subtle change but one I appreciate to tame the highs of them.   To answer your question, I think you will be happy with  that combination.

Big +1 for the LM4562!   I agree, a slight but worthwhile improvement over the OPA627 Class A and non-Class A.
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2,751 of 5,176
it's not in a tight space and i don't stack papers on them! One side is 2/3 inches from a wall. All the other sides are fully exposed. I don't stack anything on them- but it's at my desk so a few loose writing papers are often near enough.

Plus i do use it with the denons. Great combination this is. Massive bass of the d2k really comes through. The denons have a flat impedance curve so a 5 ohm output although ideal for cans roughly above 40 ohms won't introduce much bad effects if used with the 25ohm denons. I'm going to probably put in that opamp instead of the opa627 as well- denon d7k is a touch bright but the d2k's are fine for some reason. It dont require a soldering iron (does it???) as my matrix was tam audios one that comes with an opamp mod pre installed. Hopefully it's like replacing a lightbulb...

Ps- had anyone measured these denons to be like this impedance wise (25 ohm) or is it just.manufacturer specs were going by? Denon got the weight of their cans wrong (see my profile album) and so too with the material of padding.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,752 of 5,176

Quote:
it's not in a tight space and i don't stack papers on them! One side is 2/3 inches from a wall. All the other sides are fully exposed. I don't stack anything on them- but it's at my desk so a few loose writing papers are often near enough.
Plus i do use it with the denons. Great combination this is. Massive bass of the d2k really comes through. The denons have a flat impedance curve so a 5 ohm output although ideal for cans roughly above 40 ohms won't introduce much bad effects if used with the 25ohm denons. I'm going to probably put in that opamp instead of the opa627 as well- denon d7k is a touch bright but the d2k's are fine for some reason. It dont require a soldering iron (does it???) as my matrix was tam audios one that comes with an opamp mod pre installed. Hopefully it's like replacing a lightbulb...
Ps- had anyone measured these denons to be like this impedance wise (25 ohm) or is it just.manufacturer specs were going by? Denon got the weight of their cans wrong (see my profile album) and so too with the material of padding.

OK, just asking about the tight space thing!
The amp really shouldn't run so hot the volume control is hot too.

The Op Amp is easy to swap, it is not soldered in.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,754 of 5,176
The Audinst has a considerably better daac in it, so unless you want the dac "just in case" it's a waste. The Audinst is a DAC first kind of product, with a decent amp built in, I'd rate it as just a bit below the HRT StreamerII as a dac, that's only my opinion of course

Quote:
Anyone know if the DAC M-Stage is any good? I'm currently using an Audinst HUD-mx1 for both DAC and AMP, and I'm considering getting an M-Stage. Should I replace my HUD-mx1 with a DAC M-Stage or keep it as a DAC and just get the normal M-Stage as an AMP?

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,755 of 5,176
Yea, volume knob shouldn't get hot but it does. I guess on your amp it only gets slightly warm at max.

Oh, and about the LM4652 opamp, where do you guys get it from- Tam audio or some other place?
There must be loads of variants of these all over the place.

The dac on the mstage is a nice feature. But it's just a feature. Obviously the hrt streamer pummels it but it's probably on the same level, maybe a touch bit less than the fiio e7s dac.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,756 of 5,176
You can buy the National Semiconductor LM4562NA from Newark Electronics.
You only need the LM4562NA and you only need one for a Matrix M.
Do not get stuck with a fake!
Newark does not sell fakes.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,757 of 5,176

Quote:
Big +1 for the LM4562!   I agree, a slight but worthwhile improvement over the OPA627 Class A and non-Class A.
wink_face.gif

I'm under the impression that OPA627 produces an improvement over the LM4562. I have compared both on my Cube and IMO the former has a wider soundstage and more precise detail while latter is slightly warmer. Also OPA627 is 2x single channels.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,758 of 5,176

Quote:
I'm under the impression that OPA627 produces an improvement over the LM4562. I have compared both on my Cube and IMO the former has a wider soundstage and more precise detail while latter is slightly warmer. Also OPA627 is 2x single channels.

Very strange, I would argue just the opposite:  the LM4562 is more accurate and cleaner in a Matrix M Stage. Removes a touch of darkness from the M.

Not too sure what a dual or single Op Amp configuration has to do with this, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,759 of 5,176
Someone posted earlier that the class A biasing made a difference in heat?  Meaning less or more with the mod, mines modded, you can always touch it, and it rarely gets turned off, anyone have opinions, I'm going to try the the LM4562, the 627 is nothing special, but better than the 2134 IMO

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,760 of 5,176

Quote:
Very strange, I would argue just the opposite:  the LM4562 is more accurate and cleaner in a Matrix M Stage. Removes a touch of darkness from the M.

Not too sure what a dual or single Op Amp configuration has to do with this, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

There is many more OPA627 fakes than LM4562/LME49720 Fakes 
tongue.gif
. And yes LM4562 is much more brighter than OPA627 wich is laid back and a bit dark (it improves with class A byasing) . A bit more difficult to pick details with OPA627 but they are here ^^. (Tryed OPA627 BP from farnell , LM4562 and it's single couter part LME49710.) but ended prefering moon all over this .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back