Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 15, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2,701 of 5,176

Quote:

just ordered the M-Stage without the USB DAC for my Q701.  Can I use my Fiio E7 with a L7 (to get the E7 in DAC only mode)? 

Has anyone compared the E7 DAC to the M-Stage DAC on a AKG K or Q701??

Do I need a better DAC to go with the M-Stage?  If so, I'd really like to keep it under $200.

Spent the entire day looking at head fi forums.

I've compared the E10 to the M-stage DAC if you look at my profile > threads started.  I haven't heard the E7.  I currently use the HRT Music Streamer II, which is $150.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,703 of 5,176
Not to multiply your decisions here, but I would check out the Audinst HUD-MX1 (~$180) as well. I have it feeding my M-Stage and I like the combo a lot. It's usb powered, has a decent headphone amp (opamp rollable, too), and has an optical out so you could use it as a transport for a better dac down the road.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,704 of 5,176

Quote:

just ordered the M-Stage without the USB DAC for my Q701.  Can I use my Fiio E7 with a L7 (to get the E7 in DAC only mode)? 

Has anyone compared the E7 DAC to the M-Stage DAC on a AKG K or Q701??

Do I need a better DAC to go with the M-Stage?  If so, I'd really like to keep it under $200.

Spent the entire day looking at head fi forums.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I often use my M Stage with an iBasso D12 and my Q701s.
Usually I use the USB port, the system sounds good to me. It's a good clean sounding DAC, surprised me how good it was for the money.
For $200 iBasso makes a few DACs you might like.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,706 of 5,176
I'm now using: Xonar ST--- Matrix M-Stage---- AKG Q701 with LME79990 in I/V and OPA627AU in buffer, for M-stage I'm using another OPA627AU.
This setup is pretty good, with OPA627AU instead of LM4562 in M-stage  I have  better volume control , its more gradual and the sound less fatiguing  at high volumes, I noticed better control in high freq and more clear sound.
I'm not sure whats the input of LME49990 in all of this, I have to listen this opa separately maybe put it the M-stage and 627 in the Xonar and listen.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #2,707 of 5,176

Quote:

This setup is pretty good, with OPA627AU instead of LM4562 in M-stage  I have  better volume control , its more gradual and the sound less fatiguing  at high volumes, I noticed better control in high freq and more clear sound.
I'm not sure whats the input of LME49990 in all of this, I have to listen this opa separately maybe put it the M-stage and 627 in the Xonar and listen.

Great to hear the Op Amos are working out for you!
Changing the Op Amp may change the sound a bit, but it will not change the charactristics of the operation of the volume control.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #2,708 of 5,176

Quote:
Sounds like your reading the dip switches backwards...

Quote:
I agree, this thread is immense!
My favourite Op Amp is the LM4562.
You can buy is for a few bucks from Mouser or Newark.
A lot of guys like the OP627 kit you can buy from Tam Audio, but I prefer the LM4562.  I just think it's a real clear, clean Op Amp.

I agree, sounds like you really have the gain set to 0 dB!  So you probably have the volume control at approx. 2 or 3 o'clock.  Which is not a problem.

thank you guys! it's unusual cause I just set switches according to the picture below them. and I'll try LM4562 it's just few bucks..
for now M-stage is too dark for me, maybe because pro900 is an already dark headphones. so it's like multiplied darkness))) I also feel like it's a bit too powerful for 40 Oms phones.

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #2,709 of 5,176

Quote:

thank you guys! it's unusual cause I just set switches according to the picture below them. and I'll try LM4562 it's just few bucks..
for now M-stage is too dark for me, maybe because pro900 is an already dark headphones. so it's like multiplied darkness))) I also feel like it's a bit too powerful for 40 Oms phones.

The Darkness thing, yes, I agree, the M Stage is a bit on the dark side, the more Ilisten to it, the more I hear the darkness.  On the recommendation of a friend, I'm going to get an Objective 2.  He told me the Objective 2 is a more open (brighter or more neutral) amp than the M Stage.

The Matrix M Stage is actually designed to drive headphones of any impedance from 32 ohms right up to 2,000 ohms.
However it may have a bit too much gain for very sensitive headpones. I have heard some people say this amp is not suitable for IEM.  What problem are you having with 40 ohm 'phones? Too much volume?  Running volume control down at 9 o'clock and getting poor channel balance?  Too much hiss?
Try setting the Gain to 0 dB, just make sure you are using the stock Op Amp when you set the gain to 0 dB.  I would not gaurantee tat the M Stage is stable at 0 dB gain with an LM4562.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,710 of 5,176

Quote:
The Darkness thing, yes, I agree, the M Stage is a bit on the dark side, the more Ilisten to it, the more I hear the darkness.  On the recommendation of a friend, I'm going to get an Objective 2.  He told me the Objective 2 is a more open (brighter or more neutral) amp than the M Stage.

The Matrix M Stage is actually designed to drive headphones of any impedance from 32 ohms right up to 2,000 ohms.
However it may have a bit too much gain for very sensitive headpones. I have heard some people say this amp is not suitable for IEM.  What problem are you having with 40 ohm 'phones? Too much volume?  Running volume control down at 9 o'clock and getting poor channel balance?  Too much hiss?
Try setting the Gain to 0 dB, just make sure you are using the stock Op Amp when you set the gain to 0 dB.  I would not gaurantee tat the M Stage is stable at 0 dB gain with an LM4562.

the problem is hiss and distortions transmitted from laptop when music is not playing. if I exclude M-stage and listen to Cube (DAC) only there is nothing, it's completely silent without music.
the second thing is with acquisition of M-stage I do not feel any real improvements compare with Cube only with its internal amp but rather the change in music presentation to darker, warmer, a bit deeper and more liquid. Cube alone sounds more open, airy, more "in your face" and details are more evident because the sound itself is brighter. But this all is just my perception of course.
so lets see what the replacement of Op Amps will do...

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,711 of 5,176

Quote:

What do you consider as dark? I dont understand the terminology

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,712 of 5,176

Quote:

the problem is hiss and distortions transmitted from laptop when music is not playing. if I exclude M-stage and listen to Cube (DAC) only there is nothing, it's completely silent without music.
the second thing is with acquisition of M-stage I do not feel any real improvements compare with Cube only with its internal amp but rather the change in music presentation to darker, warmer, a bit deeper and more liquid. Cube alone sounds more open, airy, more "in your face" and details are more evident because the sound itself is brighter. But this all is just my perception of course.

I assume you are saying you take a USB cable from the computer to the Cube, then you take an analog output from the Cube to the M Stage and you get his and distortions?
I can only suggest try setting the gain on the M Stage to 0 dB.  Have you tried that?
Not too sure what else I can add, I'm not really a computer guy.

Your comments on the Cube do not surprise me.  I don't hear MASSIVE!! improvements from one amp to another either.  LOL!
I've changed Op Amps in my M Stage a few times, the sound changes a bit, but it still sounds like an M Stage.
I like your description of the Cube, it sounds like an amp that I would like the sound of, I like the sound of airy, open, detailed and in yo' face amps.
But I also like warm, soft, buttery tube amps sometimes.
tongue_smile.gif

I need a good psychologist!

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,713 of 5,176
Mar 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #2,714 of 5,176

Quote:

Interesting. I'm thinking of getting an M-stage to substitute amp of Cube too, not quite sure how much of an improvement it would be.  Could be because the Cube could already satisfy your PRO900 amplification.  Would like to hear about your Opamp replacements!

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #2,715 of 5,176

Originally Posted by Dj Mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you consider as dark? I dont understand the terminology

wow that's difficult to explain for me... maybe... a bit of recessed sound especially upper mids and hights, overall the sound is like distant, but soft and not fatiguing.

I assume you are saying you take a USB cable from the computer to the Cube, then you take an analog output from the Cube to the M Stage and you get his and distortions?
I can only suggest try setting the gain on the M Stage to 0 dB.  Have you tried that?
Not too sure what else I can add, I'm not really a computer guy.

I've changed Op Amps in my M Stage a few times, the sound changes a bit, but it still sounds like an M Stage.
I like your description of the Cube, it sounds like an amp that I would like the sound of, I like the sound of airy, open, detailed and in yo' face amps.

yeah your assumptions are right, setting the gain to 0 helps but distortions are still there with upper positions of volume knob.
Cube actually has a very decent amp, I just assume it wont be as good with high impedance phones.  with low impedance ones it performs very well.
which Op Amps have you liked the most Chris?

Originally Posted by rictee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I'm thinking of getting an M-stage to substitute amp of Cube too, not quite sure how much of an improvement it would be.  Could be because the Cube could already satisfy your PRO900 amplification.  Would like to hear about your Opamp replacements!

it was a big question for me when I was considering to buy the M-stage. Cube is very good with pro900 alone now I know it. but what phones do you have? I mean maybe it would be different for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back