Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 7, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #2,416 of 5,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J /img/forum/go_quote.gif

any chance you may do a comparison review?
bigsmile_face.gif

X2!    But please be gentle on that cute little m-stage.  It looks like that Auditor could eat it alive.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2,417 of 5,176

Quote:

X2!    But please be gentle on that cute little m-stage.  It looks like that Auditor could eat it alive.

X3! Looks yummy.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2,419 of 5,176
The Auditor is a considerable step up and a lot more neutral sounding. It makes the M-Stage sound very colored IMO (from when I have owned the M-Stage). The sound is more expansive and the overall neutrality is really something else. The Auditor has more extension throughout the band and bass reaches really deep and the treble soars.

The M-Stage is a great amp for those on a budget. It's a great all rounder amp that caters to all impedance phones. The Auditor is meant for high impedance but does well with most low impedance headphones.

Quote:

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,422 of 5,176

Quote:
The Auditor is a considerable step up and a lot more neutral sounding. It makes the M-Stage sound very colored IMO (from when I have owned the M-Stage). The sound is more expansive and the overall neutrality is really something else. The Auditor has more extension throughout the band and bass reaches really deep and the treble soars.

The M-Stage is a great amp for those on a budget. It's a great all rounder amp that caters to all impedance phones. The Auditor is meant for high impedance but does well with most low impedance headphones.

I would agree this but am also sure I am not really hearing the extent of the differences. Still stuck on the M-Stage DAC until my new DAC arrives. :)

But I can definitely hear the bass being tighter and more clarity in the treble. Better extension on both ends of the spectrum.

I have not tried the Auditor with IEMs or other low impedance cans and probably never will, but I have heard the results are usually not very pleasant.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,423 of 5,176

Quote:
I have not tried the Auditor with IEMs or other low impedance cans and probably never will, but I have heard the results are usually not very pleasant.

I suspect the Auditor has a fairly high output impedance: the specs say it outputs more power into high impedance 'phones than into low impedance 'phones which is a symptom of a high output impedance amp.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2,424 of 5,176
Yes, it has a 10Ohm output impedance which is quite high. So in turn the headphones used must be around 80Ohms or more. I think the amp still sounds nice with most low impedance headphones though. IEM on the Auditor sound like poo as the bass gets so overblown, but on bass light IEM's it fills them in more. And said IEM's are sensitive so they shouldn't get much clipping, from what I've heard on my end.

ZenErik:
The M-Stage USB DAC is lacking in fact. The included DAC is good for the price but your new M1DAC should just blow it out of the water. The M-Stage USB DAC is nothing special in comparison and is about the same as the DAC that was included on my X-CANV8P. There won't be a comparison once you get the new DAC. The T1 should then sound quite nice with the new DAC. 

Now guys, the last time I heard the M-Stage was about 4 months ago so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Has there been any more revisions to this model? If there was another revision I might be interested if said revision improved the sound quality. 

The M-Stage has come a long way since it first came out and is now a very ncie contender. I would say it's value is right up there with $400 amps. I think it's that good. The first versions of this amp looked like a DIY build but now the amp looks really ice and well built. Parts and performance are also improved. Really it's a great value. It's around 1/4th the price of the Black Cube Linear and has nearly the same performance IMO. 

Quote:
I suspect the Auditor has a fairly high output impedance: the specs say it outputs more power into high impedance 'phones than into low impedance 'phones which is a syptom of a high output impedance amp.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,426 of 5,176

Quote:

The M-Stage USB DAC is lacking in fact. The included DAC is good for the price but your new M1DAC should just blow it out of the water. The M-Stage USB DAC is nothing special in comparison and is about the same as the DAC that was included on my X-CANV8P. There won't be a comparison once you get the new DAC. The T1 should then sound quite nice with the new DAC. 

Wow, that bad? I would have assumed a TAS1020B to PCM1793 design would be a noticeable improvement over a basic PCM2706 all-in-one implementation. I do agree that the jump to a real dedicated DAC will remove the bottleneck. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #2,427 of 5,176
Well it's been a while I've heard the M-Stage and I don't use the DAC in my X-CANV8P anymore but I thought it sounded similar. I'll have to give it a try again.

Quote:
Wow, that bad? I would have assumed a TAS1020B to PCM1793 design would be a noticeable improvement over a basic PCM2706 all-in-one implementation. I do agree that the jump to a real dedicated DAC will remove the bottleneck. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,428 of 5,176

Quote:
Yes, it has a 10Ohm output impedance which is quite high. So in turn the headphones used must be around 80Ohms or more. I think the amp still sounds nice with most low impedance headphones though. IEM on the Auditor sound like poo as the bass gets so overblown, but on bass light IEM's it fills them in more. And said IEM's are sensitive so they shouldn't get much clipping, from what I've heard on my end.

Now guys, the last time I heard the M-Stage was about 4 months ago so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Has there been any more revisions to this model? If there was another revision I might be interested if said revision improved the sound quality. 

If the output impedance is 10 Ohms then it still does not explain the low power output into low impedance headphones.
The Matrix has an output impedance of either 5 or 10 ohms depending on what spec sheet you use. Perhaps they revised it somewhere along the way.

Based on the photos I have seen the amp design is the same as it was 6 months ago (pre USB input).
They did add some much needed cooling vents to the side.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #2,429 of 5,176

Anyone have the power output of the M Stage at 600ohms? Trying to get a baseline...

E9 is 80mw at 600ohm
HDP is 96mw at 600ohm
C-2.2 is 200mw at 600ohm

Still looking for Asgard and M Stage specs.

Edit: The M Stage pushes 100mw@600ohms it seems.

Guess I will end up with the Audio GD C-2.2. I just REALLY don't wanna order it, lol.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2,430 of 5,176

Quote:
  •  
  •  
  •  
Anyone have the power output of the M Stage at 600ohms? Trying to get a baseline...
E9 is 80mw at 600ohm
HDP is 96mw at 600ohm
C-2.2 is 200mw at 600ohm
Still looking for Asgard and M Stage specs.
Edit: The M Stage pushes 100mw@600ohms it seems.
Guess I will end up with the Audio GD C-2.2. I just REALLY don't wanna order it, lol.

My C2.1 worked wonderfully with my recently gone
frown.gif
 DT-880-600 ohms , and C2.1 is better than M-stage with the same opamp ( at the time compared it with my K702) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back