Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,401 of 5,176
It has been mentioned before in the thread, don't leave it on while not in use.  Apart from wasting electricity, heat is one of the main enemies of electronics.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,403 of 5,176

Quote:
Interesting....I saw this on a blog about the lovely cube's temperature/heat...

Sounds like the new M-Stages ^
tongue.gif

Hey there,
As far as the BD139/140 transistors running at 70 celsius goes (or any other transistors).................if the whole circuit is designed for 70 C, then you should not get more distortion than you would get at another temperature, but you would try to design to that operating temperature.  There's a reason why most computers have fans in 'em, keep the stuff cool.
Anyway, yes, heat is the enemy of electronics, for example, the hotter the environment those power caps live in, the shorter their life. It can be very substantially shorten  Adding the vents was good idea.  I have an old, sealed M Stage, we'll see how long it lives...............

Lars
I really wasn't trying to be  argumentative, like I said, I've never heard an Audio GD or a Lyr.
I've heard a coiple of big Woos.....................very, very nice sounding.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #2,404 of 5,176
Has anyone heard and compared the M-Stage and the Lovely Cube?  I know the M-stage is a modified BCL design while the Lovely cube is an actual clone (although still sounds different reportedly).

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,406 of 5,176
Hello everybody! Still burning in the M-Stage USB version that i just got. Just a few questions,

1) Would i risk anything by connecting the m-stage to a pair of cheap jbl computer speakers. Speakers impedence is 3 ohm. Not trying to improve the sound or anything, just wanted it as a one-stop audio source.

2) Is there a page where i can view a pictorial on how to change the opamps? I've got the LM4562NA.

3) What db setting is preferred for my 32ohm ath-es7 and my 300ohm dt150?

Thank you!

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,407 of 5,176

Quote:
Hello everybody! Still burning in the M-Stage USB version that i just got. Just a few questions,

1) Would i risk anything by connecting the m-stage to a pair of cheap jbl computer speakers. Speakers impedence is 3 ohm. Not trying to improve the sound or anything, just wanted it as a one-stop audio source.

2) Is there a page where i can view a pictorial on how to change the opamps? I've got the LM4562NA.

3) What db setting is preferred for my 32ohm ath-es7 and my 300ohm dt150?

Thank you!

The M Stage IS NOT designed to drive loudspeakers..............3 ohms is too low a load for a little headphone amp.

As for the dB setting, try 10 dB, if you have enough volume control range, then you are OK. .i.e you are between 10-2 o'clock

EDIT:     do a search, use the "search this thread" link at the top of this page,   the information is in this thread somewhere......sorry I can't be more informative, unfortunately I'm rather pressed for time right now
sorry man........can't help you today with the LM4562A.............but I will be swapping in the same Op Amp tomorrow!  Should be nice
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2,409 of 5,176

I noticed an interesting discussion about the heat of the Lovely Cube on the Head-Fi forum. Some users are worried about the high temperatures of some components of the Lovely Cube.

I bought the prebuilt LC, in 2010, and that thing had no air holes on it at all.  I was really surprised.  Maybe they do now.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,411 of 5,176

Quote:

I bought the prebuilt LC, in 2010, and that thing had no air holes on it at all.  I was really surprised.  Maybe they do now.

Ya, I looked at the prebuilt "premium" lovely cubes and they look the same.  I sort of doubt it's changed. 

I like the ventilated casing on the m-stage - after an hour or two it will still get warm, but never hot.  Seems like the ventilation would give more life to the internal components.  I also like the front faceplate and silkscreen on the m-stage better.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,412 of 5,176
for some reason to my ears they wont sound right until left on for at least 8 hours.
at 4 hours it feels a little lukewarm. at 6 hrs it cooled downed completely. at 8 hrs it sounded good.
at 9hrs it gets a little lukewarm again, but not as lukewarm as at 4hrs.
this happens every time i restart. so i usually leave it on the whole day and turn it off when i sleep.
mine is the air vented version.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #2,413 of 5,176
Welp, my SPL Auditor arrived today and works great. So as nice as the M-Stage is, it's gotta go! Gonna miss you. 
frown.gif
 Will continue using it as a DAC until it's sold, or when my Musical Fidelity MA1DAC A arrives. 
dt880smile.png

The M-Stage is really an amazing value, and it has served me very well for the short time I have owned it. Can't imagine many amps having better bang for the buck. Power to the all the M-Stage people. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2,414 of 5,176

Quote:
Welp, my SPL Auditor arrived today and works great. So as nice as the M-Stage is, it's gotta go! Gonna miss you. 
frown.gif
 Will continue using it as a DAC until it's sold, or when my Musical Fidelity MA1DAC A arrives. 
dt880smile.png

The M-Stage is really an amazing value, and it has served me very well for the short time I have owned it. Can't imagine many amps having better bang for the buck. Power to the all the M-Stage people. 
biggrin.gif

Damn! That thing is a monster!! 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,415 of 5,176

Quote:
frown.gif
dt880smile.png

biggrin.gif

any chance you may do a comparison review?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back