Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,381 of 5,176
Hey everyone,

I think I'm probably going to buy an M-Stage. Before I do, I was wondering whether anyone here is familiar with the KICAS (or K.I.C.A.S.) or Caliente amps from Purity Audio and can compare them to the M-Stage? I would also be interested in hearing opinions on how the M-Stage compares to one of the Graham Slee amps (Novo, Solo SRGII or Solo Ultra-Linear).

Best regards,
Adam

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,382 of 5,176
I apologize if this has been covered but 93 pages is a lot to wade through. I have K702's and was wondering what gain settings most others are using? I just got my Matrix yesterday and have it set at 10dB right now. Also, I have it connected directly to my M-Audio 24/96 sound card into one of the inputs and I was wondering if I used the line out to connect to my Logitec, powered computer speakers if that would damage anything in the amp or draw more power than it can supply? I wouldn't be using headphones and the speakers at the same time. Thanks. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,383 of 5,176
Speakers powered or not go on the Pre-Amp output on the back of the matrix.  The headphone output would not be optimal but would probably not damage your logitech speakers, but with a pre-amp output and an on/off switch on your speakers why not use the pre outs, just get an RCA ---> 3.5mm converter (or 6.25mm)

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #1,384 of 5,176

Quote:
Quote:
I must admit I am very curious to try out Meier Audio's StageDAC + Concerto combo to see (and hear) what the crossfeed filter effect is all about.

Just as an FYI, you can build a simple crossfeed for a few pounds/dollars if you want to try out the effect: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/crossproject2.htm
It's simlar if not the same as the one used in the Meier amps (it was designed by Jan Meier) and is very easy to assemble and uses easily available parts. This is that bass boosting version but there's also a flat version around somewhere: http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/meier_prj.htm

Thanks for the links. They are very helpful for my situation. I must admit I'm not a DIY'er but if I can find someone to make me one, I'll definitely have to have a listen.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,385 of 5,176

10dB is the best gain setting for K702.

Quote:
I apologize if this has been covered but 93 pages is a lot to wade through. I have K702's and was wondering what gain settings most others are using? I just got my Matrix yesterday and have it set at 10dB right now. Also, I have it connected directly to my M-Audio 24/96 sound card into one of the inputs and I was wondering if I used the line out to connect to my Logitec, powered computer speakers if that would damage anything in the amp or draw more power than it can supply? I wouldn't be using headphones and the speakers at the same time. Thanks. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #1,386 of 5,176
That's almost what I did. I have an interconnect that has RCA's on one end and a 1/8 (I think, whatever is the size that fits into most mp3 players) on the other end. Since the connection for the speakers is the same, I have a connector that has two female ends to hook them together. Seems to work pretty well. Thanks for the advice. 

Quote:
Speakers powered or not go on the Pre-Amp output on the back of the matrix.  The headphone output would not be optimal but would probably not damage your logitech speakers, but with a pre-amp output and an on/off switch on your speakers why not use the pre outs, just get an RCA ---> 3.5mm converter (or 6.25mm)

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,390 of 5,176
Hi everyone.

I am seriously considering buying the M-Stage - preferably the apparently new second edition.
Does anyone know if this is true - that there is suppused to be two second editions, the newest having among a few things a thicker casing and total weight of 2 kg instead of 1,5 kg?

I have seen one here at Head-Fi who bought his M-Stage here:
http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=216&S_id2=2&s_id=91
Anyone else bought it there - and can verify that this is a serious seller?

One more thing:
Does anyone know the Matrix company web or e-mail adress?
If so - please post it here, thanks.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,391 of 5,176
Again: almost every single dealer selling new will be selling the second version. There is only one updated version - the thicker casing was part of the single upgrade. There probably aren't even that many original-desgin versions in existence, and I doubt that there are many being sold new.

As for Matrix as a company, I couldn't say. coolfungadget (an eBay seller) seems to have some kind of involvement with the designers and is generally considered to be a great person to deal with. If you have any questions, I'd contact him.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,392 of 5,176
I found the company web adress:

http://www.matrixelectronics.net/

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,393 of 5,176

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I am seriously considering buying the M-Stage - preferably the apparently new second edition.
Does anyone know if this is true - that there is suppused to be two second editions, the newest having among a few things a thicker casing and total weight of 2 kg instead of 1,5 kg?

I have seen one here at Head-Fi who bought his M-Stage here:
http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=216&S_id2=2&s_id=91
Anyone else bought it there - and can verify that this is a serious seller?

One more thing:
Does anyone know the Matrix company web or e-mail adress?
If so - please post it here, thanks.

Audiophile China used to be a sponsor here on Headfi, maybe a few years ago. I ordered something from them once and it was fine. I couldn't say if things have changed at all since then, and I don't know why they are no longer sponsoring headfi.

I don't think there are 2 new versions with different specs. I assume it is a matter of some places listing the gross weight and other listing the net weight (with and without packaging). I don't know why some would list a different thickness of the case though. Maybe just a typo?

Quote:
I found the company web adress:

http://www.matrixelectronics.net/

I highly doubt this is the real company website. It appears to be just a slapped together site made by a reseller, using pictures stolen from Coolfungadget and Headfonia.

On the box of my Matrix Cube DAC it lists www.Matrix-Digi.com as the website. For the longest time it didn't work, prompting you for a user name and password. Today I check and it does work, although it doesn't have a whole lot of info beyond what we already know. It does have downloads for the user manuals of each product, if anyone needed that. The one interesting thing is the DA-100plus DAC that JTAM had mentioned a while back. It looks like a beast.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,394 of 5,176
Thanks both of you for your answers. I have contacted coolfungadget to see if I can get him to send it to Norway - including one of the upgrade kits.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,395 of 5,176
for those who wants to buy a m-stage a highly recommend you go by jtam's store. This guy has an excellent customer service, all my emails were responded quickly and nicely, i asked him if he could send me one OPA2134, the first one went lost in shipping, he then shipped me a second one also with a OPA2604. The amp is flawless too, If you want to enter the world of headphone amp this is the one
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back