Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #1,366 of 5,176
Class A LM4562 work well with the K702's for someone who doesn't really hear a difference in opamps this was the only situation where I DID.  Theres an energy to the warmth with the biases chip.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,367 of 5,176
As i own , the K702 iam already interested in Mstage. Now i am set to buy the HE6 ,
so, here is the Question , how much power does the Mstage Put in to 50 Ohm load,  its said that HE6 are Highly unefficient , and require power in watts :frowning2: ,
or should i skip it all and buy a speaker amp  ( slightly OT , sorry ) 

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #1,369 of 5,176
I'm just wondering if the M-Stage is actually on the warm side? I've read people saying it being warm and slightly bright, so I'm a bit confused.
I want to use it to drive my HD800, which I find has too much treble so I want something that can tame it. Right now I'm using LD MK IV SE.
Thanks!

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,371 of 5,176
Hi guys. I posted the following in the wrong forum and got no replies so I'm just gonna copy/paste it here.

I'm looking for a M-stage amp and came across this website: http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=216&S_id2=2&s_id=91
Have anyone ever heard about or purchased from them before? It seams a little suspicious to me.

Also, as I can understand, there are many different versions of the M-stage. Anybody who knows what the differences are? I donnot have time for searching throu' the long "M-stage Matrix Thread" for the answer :p

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,372 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi guys. I posted the following in the wrong forum and got no replies so I'm just gonna copy/paste it here.

I'm looking for a M-stage amp and came across this website: http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=216&S_id2=2&s_id=91
Have anyone ever heard about or purchased from them before? It seams a little suspicious to me.

Also, as I can understand, there are many different versions of the M-stage. Anybody who knows what the differences are? I donnot have time for searching throu' the long "M-stage Matrix Thread" for the answer :p

Certainly not the shadiest M-Stage dealer I've seen. There are only two versions that I know of - the original with a smaller PCB and a non-encapsulated toroid, and the new one with an encapsulated toroid and a bigger PCB for less wiring. The internal picture on that site and in Project86's original review are the old version. The new version looks sleeker and is possibly a little bit quieter Almost everyone will be selling the new version unless you buy used.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #1,373 of 5,176

Quote:
I'm just wondering if the M-Stage is actually on the warm side? I've read people saying it being warm and slightly bright, so I'm a bit confused.
I want to use it to drive my HD800, which I find has too much treble so I want something that can tame it. Right now I'm using LD MK IV SE.
Thanks!

The Matrix M-Stage is my first, and so far only, better amp I have owned. My experience with the M-Stage has been that it is a pretty warm and smooth amp with my HD580 and K701. Not overly warm but a very pleasant coloration. It is noticeably warmer sounding to me than the Yulong D100 amp section or the amp sections in the iBasso D4 or the Audinst HUD-mx1 and that warmness really helps to fill out the sound and make it more robust-sounding - something like filling in the holes in Swiss cheese. I've been A/B'ing the amps on these DAC/Amp combos by themselves and then just through their DAC sections with the Matrix as the amp. So far, the M-Stage has way exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a very subtle change from my other amps and, instead, was pleasantly surprised to find that it really helped with clarity across the frequency range and expanding the soundstage to very noticeable degrees. I should say now that the M-Stage was modded with the OPA627AP with Class-A biasing mod by Tam's Audio prior to shipment. I have never heard the original stock opamp as it was disappointingly not included with my unit.

I must admit I am very curious to try out Meier Audio's StageDAC + Concerto combo to see (and hear) what the crossfeed filter effect is all about. But I have a hard time imagining how anything could really improve over my M-Stage (M-Stage is that impressive to me so far). Hopefully one day I will find out if that combo is a vast improvement. Like I said, I really don't have other higher level amps to compare my M-Stage to yet but that should change sometime this week when I get my new Woo WA2.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,375 of 5,176

Quote:
Cross feed is a degradation in overall SQ, but it makes harsh channel separation causes by headphones to sound more natural.

I figured as much as with any other type of DSP introduced to the signal. And although I've never been overly bothered by the harshness of very discrete channel separation, I do wonder if the crossfeed filters will make listening more pleasant or akin to listening from loudspeakers. I understand that this is one of the purposes of crossfeed. And I have a suspicion that most music is mixed with the loudspeaker listener in mind where a certain degree of stereo crossover and harmonic resonance is expected as opposed to the pure 2-channel headphone listener. I wonder if, the crossfeed filter does in fact replicate this loudspeaker experience, it will sound more like the engineer who mixed the audio intended for it to sound.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #1,377 of 5,176

Quote:
Quote:

Certainly not the shadiest M-Stage dealer I've seen. There are only two versions that I know of - the original with a smaller PCB and a non-encapsulated toroid, and the new one with an encapsulated toroid and a bigger PCB for less wiring. The internal picture on that site and in Project86's original review are the old version. The new version looks sleeker and is possibly a little bit quieter Almost everyone will be selling the new version unless you buy used.

Oh, so i should try and find a new version :) - thanks mate! Do you know if there is any noticeble difference in SQ?
I'm still a little suspicious about the website though, and I think that I would rather find a used one.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #1,378 of 5,176
 Strange enough, as I said in your other thread, I bought mine from them and it is indeed the second version (the pictures showed the Matrix v2 at the time too).
 The price was the same on your link, if I remember well.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,380 of 5,176
Quote:
I must admit I am very curious to try out Meier Audio's StageDAC + Concerto combo to see (and hear) what the crossfeed filter effect is all about.

Just as an FYI, you can build a simple crossfeed for a few pounds/dollars if you want to try out the effect: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/crossproject2.htm
It's simlar if not the same as the one used in the Meier amps (it was designed by Jan Meier) and is very easy to assemble and uses easily available parts. This is that bass boosting version but there's also a flat version around somewhere: http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/meier_prj.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back