Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,337 of 5,176
Quote:
stupid question... how to open matrix? :D

The main body of the amp in in two halves. Remove the four screws from this top half of the casing (NOT the faceplate) and then you should be able to just lift it off, revealing the insides in all their glory.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,338 of 5,176
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #1,339 of 5,176
yeah, wasnt such problem. Just friend of mine scared me he had problems to open it heh. I found ad797 very nice sounding with matrix.
One thing which pisses me off is that power plug  socket which doesnt fit good to chassis. any advice how to fix it?:) or is it only my model?

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #1,340 of 5,176
I don't think I'll ever buy another hyped product! this amp has significantly depreciated just over the few months of release, bought it for $260 and now can't even get a resale for $180, even got a low-ball offer for $160... I'm like really?, I'd rather give it away or toss it before ever selling it for peanuts to people who don't want to contribute to the hobby and just sit around waiting like vultures, all it takes is one person to list it at a desperate price before everyone else has to follow. I personally think this amp is worth it, it sounds and looks good, the build quality is up there so i can't really understand why the sudden depreciation, my reasons are more personal and has to do with the situation I'm, even sold the 650's which i really loved, let me hear your theory.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,341 of 5,176
If you buy new product you automatically loose 30% of its price. If you want to save money buy sh products:) I dont know whats your point :)
On other hand maybe you just hit unfortunate time for selling it. I had proposition of selling it here in Poland even for full price, because some ppl are scared to import something from China (long time, tax etc etc.)

Anyone knows/tried LT1028 for Matrix?

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #1,342 of 5,176
Then post it for free. I sold my sr225 for $135 because of no offers. Deal with it and move on.

I don't think I'll ever buy another hyped product! this amp has significantly depreciated just over the few months of release, bought it for $260 and now can't even get a resale for $180, even got a low-ball offer for $160... I'm like really?, I'd rather give it away or toss it before ever selling it for peanuts to people who don't want to contribute to the hobby and just sit around waiting like vultures, all it takes is one person to list it at a desperate price before everyone else has to follow. I personally think this amp is worth it, it sounds and looks good, the build quality is up there so i can't really understand why the sudden depreciation, my reasons are more personal and has to do with the situation I'm, even sold the 650's which i really loved, let me hear your theory.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,343 of 5,176

Quote:
... Anyone knows/tried LT1028 for Matrix?

LT1028 demands -1 gain.  The lowest on the M-Stage is 0.  It is better in DAC LPF or buffer anyway.

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,344 of 5,176

Quote:

Maybe try eBay or Audiogon? They generally allow you to get higher prices in my experience. Your situation is not unique though; I was just browing the FS section here and I see an AKG K701 (MSRP $500, new online for $300) going for $175, a pair of JH13s (MSRP $1100) for $700, and a JVC DX1000 (MSRP roughly $1000) for $660, etc. And these are just the current asking prices; they might need to lower them to make the actual sale. Audio gear is almost never a good investment so plan accordingly.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #1,345 of 5,176
Quote:
If you buy new product you automatically loose 30% of its price. If you want to save money buy sh products:) I dont know whats your point :)
On other hand maybe you just hit unfortunate time for selling it. I had proposition of selling it here in Poland even for full price, because some ppl are scared to import something from China (long time, tax etc etc.)

Anyone knows/tried LT1028 for Matrix?

Quote:
Then post it for free. I sold my sr225 for $135 because of no offers. Deal with it and move on.

Yes thank you both for the nice cold response, very refreshing, well lesson learned, "Deal with it and move on" surely will.

Quote:
project86 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe try eBay or Audiogon? They generally allow you to get higher prices in my experience. Your situation is not unique though; I was just browing the FS section here and I see an AKG K701 (MSRP $500, new online for $300) going for $175, a pair of JH13s (MSRP $1100) for $700, and a JVC DX1000 (MSRP roughly $1000) for $660, etc. And these are just the current asking prices; they might need to lower them to make the actual sale. Audio gear is almost never a good investment so plan accordingly.

Thanks project, will see, totally understandable though, just didn't expect to see it dip so low.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,346 of 5,176

Thanks. I already found ad797 even better at stx buffer than in Matrix. What about AD825, 827, THS4032, AD8022, AD8397, LME49710NA. Those are recommended from one of my friends, but Im not sure if all are ok fro matrix headamp (like LT1028 doesnt)
Quote:
Quote:
... Anyone knows/tried LT1028 for Matrix?

LT1028 demands -1 gain.  The lowest on the M-Stage is 0.  It is better in DAC LPF or buffer anyway.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #1,347 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks. I already found ad797 even better at stx buffer than in Matrix. What about AD825, 827, THS4032, AD8022, AD8397, LME49710NA. Those are recommended from one of my friends, but Im not sure if all are ok fro matrix headamp (like LT1028 doesnt)

OPA827 is excellent but unstable (as are most of my high-speed opamps in the M-Stage).  LME49710 is too artificial sounding for my tastes and its soundstage, mids, treble, and bass suck bullocks versus LT1363, AD797, and ADA4627-1.  Some people like it anyway.  I've never tried THS4032, I do have THS4081 and it is one of my favorite TI chips.  Never tried AD825.  OPA1611 is also excellent with the best bass before ISL28127.  Once I have some extra money, I plan to mod the amp more to get 4627-1 stable, my favorite opamp.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #1,348 of 5,176

Quote:

Quote:

That's the great part about buying used here. However keep in mind when selling on ebay that you have to pay for listing fees unlike here which may make the net sale price to be similar depending on how much you sell it for. I rarely buy new because of this but I realize that it works both ways. You will suffer a loss if you buy new and plan to sell here since most products have a lower going price than retail.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #1,349 of 5,176
I'm just posting for 2 reasons:

1 - those who follow this thread - which is slanting to a "now it's time to sell the M-Stage for the next big thing" OR the "the FOTM hype was off and this thing just isn' what I thought it would be" posts...I bought the M-Stage very early on - I'm not a hype freak. This amp is flat out married to my k701s - not even a question. I would sell the k701s if I didn't own the M-Stage. Just saying - they are beautiful together - I've a/b'd against the LD MKIV which I am a HUGE fan of and the M-Stage is the huge winner for the k701s

2 - My one question for M-Stage owners - "IF"? I wanted a slightly warmer presentation with my k701s... I have the class A OPA627 upgrade in - I have some Opamps on hand...incl LT1364, LM4562, and OPA2107. What would you suggest for my k701s - if I favored a bit of a warmer feel? 

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #1,350 of 5,176
Probably OPA627, also OPA1611 (superb).  Also HA3-2525, which can be had as samples from Intersil.
LM4562 is bright and would probably be fatiguing with K701, I imagine.  LT1364 is also bright and sports a peculiar coloration in this amp.
To warm up the amp a slight bit, your best bet is to replace the stock caps with warmer-sounding ones.  Opamps will make very little difference in that respect, or it might be enough for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back