Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 31, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #661 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks. Mmmm...do all of them require soldering work? I am a klutz with DIY i.e. never done it so I don't really want to do anything that isn't just a clip on. But I'm intrigued seeing that the sound does change by a fair bit.

The OPA2111 and OPA2107 in DIP are just drop ins.  The soldering work I was referring to for the OPA2107 was to bias it into class A (two resistors on top of the chip pins - and fairly precise work).

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #662 of 5,176

Quote:
The OPA2111 and OPA2107 in DIP are just drop ins.  The soldering work I was referring to for the OPA2107 was to bias it into class A (two resistors on top of the chip pins - and fairly precise work).

ah lol. I'm not touching the soldering, but I might try out the dip. Interested to see how it might change the sound :) thanks for the heads up by the way!

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #663 of 5,176
I'd also suggest you try out a pair of ADA4627-1, its suppose to be the next big thing.

You can get free samples from AD's site. They are mono SOIC and require soldering to a Brown Dog adapter.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #664 of 5,176
I heard that SS amp can be better from a better power source. Has anyone modded the power supply of M stage?

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #665 of 5,176
The M-Stage's power supply is built on to the board like the AMB CK2III. In order to use a separate supply you'll need to completely by-pass it. Probably not worth the trouble in my opinion, since the improvements are probably not audible.

If your interested in going that route check out the Lovely Cube thread in my sig. I am using the external power supply from my Head Direct EF5 amp. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #666 of 5,176
Well, that was 45 pages of interesting reading! I'm basically sold on buying a ~$250 amp (albeit not right now), but I still can't decide between the M-Stage or the Schiit Asgard. I'm leaning more towards the M-Stage because whilst I've heard negative opinions about the Asgard I haven't yet seen post that gives a negative comment, other than that it's very revealing.
The M-Stage also has more features than the Asgard, with two inputs, adjustable gain, also running cooler.

Anybody got comparisons sound-wise? I've read through the entire threads for both amps, but still can't make a solid conclusion.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #668 of 5,176

Quote:
Well, that was 45 pages of interesting reading! I'm basically sold on buying a ~$250 amp (albeit not right now), but I still can't decide between the M-Stage or the Schiit Asgard. I'm leaning more towards the M-Stage because whilst I've heard negative opinions about the Asgard I haven't yet seen post that gives a negative comment, other than that it's very revealing.
The M-Stage also has more features than the Asgard, with two inputs, adjustable gain, also running cooler.

Anybody got comparisons sound-wise? I've read through the entire threads for both amps, but still can't make a solid conclusion.

Yea, one reason I went with the M-Stage over several other amps was because of the adjustable gain and option to opamp roll (haven't done that yet though). It was also cheaper than most of the amps I was looking at. At the time the Asgard wasn't really on the radar though. I haven't really looked at it because once I got the M-Stage I knew I was done (at least for awhile). Sure it'd be nice to order it and a/b them and sell which one I liked the least back, but I'm not worried about it (I'm not a constant tinkerer with hi-fi like many others though). You could always do that though, that's the only way you'll know for sure which one you like better.

And while the M-Stage is revealing, I also find it musical. Not colored musical, but refined and truly "hi-fi" musical. And revealing/transparent/neutral is what hi-fi is or should be imo anyway.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #669 of 5,176
I've been listening with this amp for three weeks and I'm delighted how it sounds with K701.

Last night I made an impulse-purchase when I saw Sennheiser HD 650 for 244€ on Thomann. I can't wait to pair them with this amp, BCL being Sennheiser's promo/demo gear and stuff.

Also, if you're reading this, coolfungadget; we want more information regarding the Matrix CUBE.
k701smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #670 of 5,176
Quote:
Yea, one reason I went with the M-Stage over several other amps was because of the adjustable gain and option to opamp roll (haven't done that yet though). It was also cheaper than most of the amps I was looking at. At the time the Asgard wasn't really on the radar though. I haven't really looked at it because once I got the M-Stage I knew I was done (at least for awhile). Sure it'd be nice to order it and a/b them and sell which one I liked the least back, but I'm not worried about it (I'm not a constant tinkerer with hi-fi like many others though). You could always do that though, that's the only way you'll know for sure which one you like better.

And while the M-Stage is revealing, I also find it musical. Not colored musical, but refined and truly "hi-fi" musical. And revealing/transparent/neutral is what hi-fi is or should be imo anyway.

The other thing on my bias is that on the Asgard thread they all seem like whining fanboys who are incredibly protective of their new toy, whereas here people seem more open and helpful. Maybe it's just me.

Also, what DID happen to that info on the Cube? I was going to get a Musiland 02 US, but if there's an affordable-but-awesome DAC that'll look good next to the M-Stage for the same price or a little more I'd go for it.
D'oh... I think I may have just made up my mind by mistake when typing that.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #671 of 5,176

Quote:

The only thing missing in regards to the Asgard is with the Matrix you cannot cook Bacon and Eggs like you can with the Asgard. Also with the Matrix you can play any headphone including my T1 and denon D7000 as well as 701 and everything else you can throw at it. Not so with the Asgard only low impedance works. So it is a one trick pony

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #672 of 5,176
Quote:
The only thing missing in regards to the Asgard is with the Matrix you cannot cook Bacon and Eggs like you can with the Asgard. Also with the Matrix you can play any headphone including my T1 and denon D7000 as well as 701 and everything else you can throw at it. Not so with the Asgard only low impedance works. So it is a one trick pony

But yeah, I am now almost certain that I'm going to opt for the M-Stage, and maybe the Cube if it's in my price range.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #673 of 5,176

Quote:
The other thing on my bias is that on the Asgard thread they all seem like whining fanboys who are incredibly protective of their new toy, whereas here people seem more open and helpful. Maybe it's just me.

Interesting. I haven't read in the thread there so... Again, I'm fully satisfied with the M-Stage and unless I hear about some sub $300 amp that can blow it away I'm just not looking.

I try to be objective when evaluating gear. I am critical and try not to let the fact that I spent my money on the gear get in the way of what I really think of it. If I think I made a bad decision, that the gear, to me, sucks (or at least isn't worth what I paid for it), that I got suckered, I can admit it (and I have made some bad or at least not optimal decisions with gear getting into this hi-fi hobby).

I don't feel that way at all with this amp.
k701smile.gif

Quote:
 with the Asgard only low impedance works. So it is a one trick pony

Really? I didn't know that. Well there's really no need for me to even worry about it then, like if it had come out a little earlier it would have been a good (or even better) choice for me over the M-Stage.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #674 of 5,176

Quote:
 kwkarth being pretty rude to you on that thread just now... I really don't think he's helping the Asgard's cause by outright denying criticism.

Lol, sounds like a tool...or maybe a shill? You can't deny criticism with something so subjective as one's like/dislike of hi-fi gear! There is NO right or wrong here! I'm not going to get offended if someone lists everything I have in my sig as throwaway crap that their dog shouldn't even have to listen to. That's fine, I enjoy it and will continue to do so regardless!
k701smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #675 of 5,176

Quote:
The M-Stage's power supply is built on to the board like the AMB CK2III. In order to use a separate supply you'll need to completely by-pass it. Probably not worth the trouble in my opinion, since the improvements are probably not audible.

If your interested in going that route check out the Lovely Cube thread in my sig. I am using the external power supply from my Head Direct EF5 amp. 

Thank you very much! I am studying the post now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back