Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #646 of 5,176

Quote:

Let me know if you like the change! I've been debating weather or not it will be worth the trouble to remove the input caps as well.

Looks like I'm not going to do it. One of my sources that I like to use for the M-Stage is my Sony X which has a 0.15 voltage offset, which I just measured. That's a wee bit higher than I feel comfortable with, especially with my PS1000s.

However I am seriously considering an adapter (with resistor) to bias the OPA2107 more into class A.  Maybe ~ 5ma.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #647 of 5,176

Quote:

1. BB OPA627 x2 (surface mount and you'll need adapters - ebay usually has pre-soldered to an adapter)
  2. BB OPA2111 (DIP fits straight in)
  3. BB OPA2604 (DIP fits straight in) - dark sounding, some like, some hate.
  4. BB OPA2132 (DIP fits straight in) - higher grade opa2134 - some say little to no difference
  5. AD797 x2 (will need adapters)
  6. AD825 x2 (will need adapters - just type in ad825 in ebay)
  7. Audio-gd.com HDAMs: OPA-Earth, OPA-Sun, OPA-Moon

I wouldn't buy expensive opamps like the OPA627 and AD825 over ebay. This risk of getting a fake is way too high.

Also Burson audio also sells discrete opamps http://bursonaudio.com/burson_opamp.htm they do require at least 12v, not sure if the m-stage can do that.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #649 of 5,176

Quote:

1. BB OPA627 x2 (surface mount and you'll need adapters - ebay usually has pre-soldered to an adapter)
  2. BB OPA2111 (DIP fits straight in)
  3. BB OPA2604 (DIP fits straight in) - dark sounding, some like, some hate.
  4. BB OPA2132 (DIP fits straight in) - higher grade opa2134 - some say little to no difference
  5. AD797 x2 (will need adapters)
  6. AD825 x2 (will need adapters - just type in ad825 in ebay)
  7. Audio-gd.com HDAMs: OPA-Earth, OPA-Sun, OPA-Moon

thanks! :)

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #650 of 5,176

Quote:

I wouldn't buy expensive opamps like the OPA627 and AD825 over ebay. This risk of getting a fake is way too high.

Also Burson audio also sells discrete opamps http://bursonaudio.com/burson_opamp.htm they do require at least 12v, not sure if the m-stage can do that.

I still run the stock chip on my M-Stage, but I have used the Burson opamps in an old Pioneer Elite CD player. I can highly recommend the Burson stuff (they also have a low jitter clock and a voltage regulator, also nice), and would love to hear how their opamp upgrade sounds in the M-Stage. Maybe one of these days....

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #653 of 5,176
http://www.bing.com/shopping/LG-42LD520-42-LCD-TV/search?q=LG%20tv&p1=[CommerceService%20scenario%3d%22sum%22%20docid%3d%2267CA821FC052135F0001%22%20a%3d%22pa%22]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA13

Click "go to store" for the seller that has ebay, then go your My eBay and you should see cash back logo in the upper left hand side, only works for most stuff with buy it now.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #654 of 5,176
I think coolfungadget is the only official seller.. so thats who I bought mine from.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #655 of 5,176

Quote:

The M-Stage should be able to handle the Bursons. I measured the voltage on the M-stage, it's +/-15V which is 30V rail-to-rail (which is very nice). Soldered two resistors on the OPA2107 to push it into class A - ended up staying up half the night listening...

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #656 of 5,176

Quote:

The M-Stage should be able to handle the Bursons. I measured the voltage on the M-stage, it's +/-15V which is 30V rail-to-rail (which is very nice). Soldered two resistors on the OPA2107 to push it into class A - ended up staying up half the night listening...

I'd love to hear your impressions on the different opamps if you end up testing any more
dt880smile.png

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #658 of 5,176

Quote:

I still run the stock chip on my M-Stage, but I have used the Burson opamps in an old Pioneer Elite CD player. I can highly recommend the Burson stuff (they also have a low jitter clock and a voltage regulator, also nice), and would love to hear how their opamp upgrade sounds in the M-Stage. Maybe one of these days....

Can you see maybe they will give you a loaner for a review. I am curious but to be honest the Matrix sound so good not sure it will be any better

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #659 of 5,176

Quote:
I'd love to hear your impressions on the different opamps if you end up testing any more
dt880smile.png

As I mentioned, I'm now using the BB OPA2107 biased into class A with a cheap mod - see http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html. (The OPA2107 has a reputation of responding well to being biased into class A.) Basically, I soldered 4.7k ohm resistors from the top of the pins 4 to 1 and then 4 to 7.

Now this setup sounds much different from the stock setup. IMO it pushes the amp to another level and the results are rather jaw dropping. The retrieval of low level information, rendering of harmonics, and clarity is now quite astounding. It's hard to describe. I'm not talking about hearing stuff I've never heard before. But it's more like I'm hearing certain new specific qualities to stuff that I've heard before. This is particularly noticeable from the midrange to the highest treble registers. For example, whereas before, percussion such as high-hats and cymbals tended to have a homogeneous quality (even with the OPA2107 not pushed into class A), I can now hear very very different qualities, of how and where the sticks hit the surface, the quality of the metal and how the ringing perpetuates. The same holds true for guitar, how the strings are plucked, the individual vibrations of each string, the feedback and distortion settings on the guitar amp, etc. This of course also applies to noise in the recording, but you hear not only hiss, but the quality of it - the individual grains that make up the hiss.

On the track Daughter from Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror CD, I used to be able to make out someone saying something before the band began the song. With the OPA2107 biased into class A, it now becomes very obvious. You can very clearly hear someone say "Are you guys ready" in the background - just above the individuals grains of hiss. 

BTW, I tried the class A mod with the stock OPA2132. It does improve it, but not nearly as much as the OPA2107. The above setup really reveals how much the stock OPA2132's bass sounds "tubby". Tubby in the sense of a plastic food container tub. The downside to the above change is that the amp becomes less warm.

I'll be taking a closer look at the OPA2111 next since I upon an initial listen, I didn't find it offensive, and it doesn't cost a ton of money (like the OPA627s, not to even mention the Bursons).

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #660 of 5,176

Quote:
As I mentioned, I'm now using the BB OPA2107 biased into class A with a cheap mod - see http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html. (The OPA2107 has a reputation of responding well to being biased into class A.) Basically, I soldered 4.7k ohm resistors from the top of the pins 4 to 1 and then 4 to 7  
Now this setup sounds much different from the stock setup. IMO it pushes the amp to another level and the results are rather jaw dropping. The retrieval of low level information, rendering of harmonics, and clarity is now quite astounding. It's hard to describe. I'm not talking about hearing stuff I've never heard before. But it's more like I'm hearing certain new specific qualities to stuff that I've heard before. This is particularly noticeable from the midrange to the highest treble registers. For example, whereas before, percussion such as high-hats and cymbals tended to have a homogeneous quality (even with the OPA2107 not pushed into class A), I can now hear very very different qualities, of how and where the sticks hit the surface, the quality of the metal and how the ringing perpetuates. The same holds true for guitar, how the strings are plucked, the individual vibrations of each string, the feedback and distortion settings on the guitar amp, etc. This of course also applies to noise in the recording, but you hear not only hiss, but the quality of it - the individual grains that make up the hiss.

On the track Daughter from Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror CD, I used to be able to make out someone saying something before the band began the song. With the OPA2107 biased into class A, it now becomes very obvious. You can very clearly hear someone say "Are you guys ready" in the background - just above the individuals grains of hiss. 

BTW, I tried the class A mod with the stock OPA2132. It does improve it, but not nearly as much as the OPA2107. The above setup really reveals how much the stock OPA2132's bass sounds "tubby". Tubby in the sense of a plastic food container tub. The downside to the above change is that the amp becomes less warm.

I'll be taking a closer look at the OPA2111 next since I upon an initial listen, I didn't find it offensive, and it doesn't cost a ton of money (like the OPA627s, not to even mention the Bursons).

Thanks. Mmmm...do all of them require soldering work? I am a klutz with DIY i.e. never done it so I don't really want to do anything that isn't just a clip on. But I'm intrigued seeing that the sound does change by a fair bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back