Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 23, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #467 of 5,176
Well it isn't a clone anymore.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #469 of 5,176
Matrix M Stage amp FOR SALE!

I bought my Matrix M Stage about 10 days ago. I love it, but I'm so impressed with headphone listening (this was my first HP setup) that I've decided to order a big fat Audio GD dac and amp.

So, I'm selling my nearly new Matrix M Stage amp. WIll take some photo's now, and put up a listing in the for sale forum shortly. Message me if you're interested (I'm in the UK).

You can get a discount on a barely out of the box original model, with the big, original, toroidal power supply!

(nearly new DacMagic going to too)

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #470 of 5,176
I am confused. Is the new power supply a toroidal. I think it might still be torodial but is an "encapsulated" torodial.

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #471 of 5,176
Take this for what you will though, I'm not an electrical engineer.

It's a encapsulated torodial like this one:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=TE2265-ND

http://media.digikey.com/photos/AlfaMag%20Electronics%20Photos/L01-6373.JPG

I think this is being taken way out of proportion. All the transformer does is take the voltage from your wall plug and step it down to a value that is smaller and won't fry the electronics in the amp.

If it's the US model then 110/120V AC from your wall outlet goes in and 15V AC comes out.

All transformers generate some measure of electric field when they operate. Encapsulated transformers are suppose to be less mechanically and electrically noisy than the normal open type so you can mount them close to sensitive electronics.

Most manufacturers put their transformers in the same box but if you go into the DIY forum you will see the most head-fi'ers puts their transformers in a separate box, probably audiophile overkill but it's just double insurance.

From all the reviews here, eletromagnetic interference and noise wasn't a problem at all with this amp even with the old open transformer in the same box. 

The physical size of the transformer doesn't matter as much as it's output. The amp itself draws the power it needs from those two big capacitors which act as storage and reserves. What makes the BCL interesting is that those caps are huge, 2 x 4700uF, probably way bigger than any headphone really requires. In fact I bet that if you unplug the amp in the middle of playing a song it will probably keep playing for a few seconds until those caps drain.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #472 of 5,176
I ordered the M stage from coolfungadget a little over a day ago. Haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to ship? Also how does this amp sound with the Grado RS1i and DacMagic?

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #473 of 5,176

Quote:
Yup, I kinda agree burn in for vast amounts of hours is bordering on rubbish, but I don't want to come to a conclusion on that. I do believe that drivers need some time to really kick in, but how much is the question and I don't think it takes an absurd amount of hours. Just think of it in the case of a shoe that needs some breaking in.

I'm in total agreement with you on the 702s though and I love 'em; only problem I'm facing at the moment is the headband. lol

oh and a recommendation on a DAC would be most welcome :) I'm still running stuff out of the D10 but I'd prefer if I didn't use a portable source as the DAC at the end of it all.

I'm lucky, never found the headband to be uncomfortable at all (I do have a full and thick head of hair though, at least on top--keep my sides/back shorter...actually my hair on top is only 2 to 3 inches long, but it is thick).

Sorry, I can't give you a recommendation on a DAC, I quit researching them once I bought my DAC Magic (I'm not like a lot of others who keep looking to "upgrade" or try new stuff...at least if I'm totally satisfied with a product; I see no reason to try any other DAC, less or more costly, at all at this point).

But from casual looking around it just seems that for $200 to $300 you can get a DAC that a year or two ago would have cost $300 to $500. Prices have come down. There seems to be some good and objective reviews of some DACs here though (including the Matrix Mini--sounds too warm for my taste...it was briefly compared to the DAC Magic):

http://www.headfonia.com/?page_id=3032

Quote:
I don't know of any good amp that is using a transformer like that. Also, I'm not sure why Lehmann wold not have implemented these changes already if they really improved the sound. My guess is that these are cost cutting measures pure and simple. All the good amps I know are using the large open transformers. This looks cheaper to me.

Perhaps...perhaps not. I'm not a techy, but I've long known that size that does not matter, in all sorts of areas.
wink.gif

Quote:
So do Meier Audio amps

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/meier3/3.jpg

The transformer just steps down your mains voltage to something usable. As long as it supplies proper voltage, keeping those giant capacitors filled and does not introduce noise it should be fine.  

Quote:
Take this for what you will though, I'm not an electrical engineer.

It's a encapsulated torodial like this one:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=TE2265-ND

http://media.digikey.com/photos/AlfaMag%20Electronics%20Photos/L01-6373.JPG

I think this is being taken way out of proportion. All the transformer does is take the voltage from your wall plug and step it down to a value that is smaller and won't fry the electronics in the amp.

If it's the US model then 110/120V AC from your wall outlet goes in and 15V AC comes out.

All transformers generate some measure of electric field when they operate. Encapsulated transformers are suppose to be less mechanically and electrically noisy than the normal open type so you can mount them close to sensitive electronics.

Most manufacturers put their transformers in the same box but if you go into the DIY forum you will see the most head-fi'ers puts their transformers in a separate box, probably audiophile overkill but it's just double insurance.

From all the reviews here, eletromagnetic interference and noise wasn't a problem at all with this amp even with the old open transformer in the same box. 

The physical size of the transformer doesn't matter as much as it's output. The amp itself draws the power it needs from those two big capacitors which act as storage and reserves. What makes the BCL interesting is that those caps are huge, 2 x 4700uF, probably way bigger than any headphone really requires. In fact I bet that if you unplug the amp in the middle of playing a song it will probably keep playing for a few seconds until those caps drain.

I think you nailed it; as long as there is no interference from the transformer, and, especially, if the power is the same, then what's the difference? What, are we going to start talking about how the thickness or color of the plastic board used to mount the electronics on effects the SQ?!

The "bigger is better" nonsense is so ingrained in the psyche (especially in the US) that many have a psychological prejudice against anything smaller in similar gear/situations. I used to have a little 4 cylinder Honda Prelude that was a 2.0 liter in high school. A lot of the motor heads who had big and "fast" V6 and even V8 american cars (mustangs, firebirds, camaros, old 70's chevelles, oldsmobiles, etc.) would make fun of it...until they raced me that is. I'd beat 8/10 of those things because their output just wasn't enough to counter their weight (on the less expensive models at least) compared to my little rice runner which had a much better horsepower to weight ratio (yea, I know there are other factors too, but they must not have mattered as much or they were lacking in the bigger engine cars I raced as well, and/or well implemented in my Prelude too). Yea, a few beat me as well, but even most of those were more like a tie or close race. My "2 point slow" turned out not to be so much. Plus it handled way better than any big old boat or rear wheel drive/all the weight on the front car. (Btw, I did and do still like old american cars...for styling at least if not for ride, handling, comfort, power).

Ok, enough off topic. If this new version does end up sounding better then I will be disappointed...except that the version I have sounds so good now that I'm not going to be very upset in any case for it's not like I got a mediocre amp that would jump to a fantastic one with a new version; no I got a great amp that may or may not improve a bit in the SQ with the new version. No big deal.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #474 of 5,176

Quote:
I ordered the M stage from coolfungadget a little over a day ago. Haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to ship? Also how does this amp sound with the Grado RS1i and DacMagic?

About a week.

How do you like those ATH M50's? I'm thinking of getting them for some budget closed cans.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #475 of 5,176
At first I didn't like them but after some burn in they have grown on me and they are getting more head time. I can see why so many people like them. I ordered the Shure 750 DJ's to see if I like that sound better for hip-hop, etc. Whichever one I choose the other will be going up for sale here.

Quote:
About a week.

How do you like those ATH M50's? I'm thinking of getting them for some budget closed cans.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #476 of 5,176
Has anyone compared the first version against the latest product?  I would be interested in finding out if the hiss/hum noted in the earlier part of the thread has disappeared.

I would also be interested in learning whether anyone has further upgraded/modded their units, for example: an upgrade in the potentiometer and/or capacitors.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #477 of 5,176
Forgot to ask when you say a week I assume that is the time that it arrives and not when it actually ships.

Quote:
About a week.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #478 of 5,176
Scientifically - no one should be able to hear any differences between matrixes and BCLs.  For 300 bucks, you get what you receive, be thankful and get on with enjoying the music.  A BCL aint gonna sound 3 times this matrix, I don't care what anybody says.  If I had my way again - my entire chain would be made of chinese products - except the can - actually, the alloy chassis D7000 is Chinese.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #480 of 5,176

Quote:

I'm lucky, never found the headband to be uncomfortable at all (I do have a full and thick head of hair though, at least on top--keep my sides/back shorter...actually my hair on top is only 2 to 3 inches long, but it is thick).

Sorry, I can't give you a recommendation on a DAC, I quit researching them once I bought my DAC Magic (I'm not like a lot of others who keep looking to "upgrade" or try new stuff...at least if I'm totally satisfied with a product; I see no reason to try any other DAC, less or more costly, at all at this point).

But from casual looking around it just seems that for $200 to $300 you can get a DAC that a year or two ago would have cost $300 to $500. Prices have come down. There seems to be some good and objective reviews of some DACs here though (including the Matrix Mini--sounds too warm for my taste...it was briefly compared to the DAC Magic):

http://www.headfonia.com/?page_id=3032

Yup, I read that review a few days ago. I was thinking of the DACMagic, but I'll wait to see what Matrix does. I'm not too keen on the Mini-i cos' I don't exactly want a dac/amp together, seeing that I prefer a standalone unit. But yes, I agree about upgrading, so for me, this will be the last step in the process more or less. I just need to make sure I get a decent dac unit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back