Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #451 of 5,176
Looks nice, even more refined than a real BCL.

The new transformer is low profile EI transformer, its soldered onto the circuit board thus eliminating the need for some wires. It does look smaller, there no indication on the unit itself but I assume it outputs the same amount as the old torodial with the benefit of some shielding. Only testing will determine if it is better, worse, or (most likely) the same. 

I can't make out from the picture but there are also a couple of more black resistors or some type of IC between the transformer and the big gold capacitors. Not sure what they are for.

The RCA inputs/outputs are also now soldered directly onto the board. They look the same as the pictures on page 1 of this thread, the ones on the actual BCL are more "audiophile" grade.

There is also what looks like an extra relay, the little white block next the transformer. I think there was only one on the old board. 

I dig the black color.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #453 of 5,176
Looks to me the Rca's are mounted direct to the board so that should make them stronger then the original.
 All the internals seem to be the same design as the original so hopefully it still has the same sound?
I'm not digging the power supply tho, it seems a little small even tho it is sheilded.
If it can provide enough juice I guess it will work.  It looks like the same supply that A LOT of Chinese companies are using now. 
Maybe they are cheaper? 

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #454 of 5,176
Looks like they shrunk the power supply.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #456 of 5,176

Quote:
I am canceling my order they shrunk the power supply and the oversized PSU is obviously part of what makes the Lehmann, and every good amp I've ever heard great.

I wouldn't cancel without hearing it.  I am betting it will sound better than the BCL - provided the transformer is up to specification.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #457 of 5,176
I don't know of any good amp that is using a transformer like that. Also, I'm not sure why Lehmann wold not have implemented these changes already if they really improved the sound. My guess is that these are cost cutting measures pure and simple. All the good amps I know are using the large open transformers. This looks cheaper to me.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #458 of 5,176
Hi,
From looking on their website www.headamp.com, then click 'products', then click 'home headphone amps', the power transformer in the Headamp GS-1 looks sort of similar to the transformer in the new Matix M-Stage. Of course the transformers are made by different manufacturers, but they do look kind of similar on the outside.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #460 of 5,176
So do Meier Audio amps

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/meier3/3.jpg

The transformer just steps down your mains voltage to something usable. As long as it supplies proper voltage, keeping those giant capacitors filled and does not introduce noise it should be fine.  

I've heard some bad things about hllyaudio's service.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #461 of 5,176

Quote:
I don't know of any good amp that is using a transformer like that. Also, I'm not sure why Lehmann wold not have implemented these changes already if they really improved the sound. My guess is that these are cost cutting measures pure and simple. All the good amps I know are using the large open transformers. This looks cheaper to me.

Shielded transformers can reduce the low frequency shake and shorter/zero wire can further reduce the electronic interference. Actually the new transformer we are using is more expensive than the original one. It's the same as the one being use in Matrix mini-i DAC.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #463 of 5,176

Quote:
Looks to me the Rca's are mounted direct to the board so that should make them stronger then the original.
 All the internals seem to be the same design as the original so hopefully it still has the same sound?
I'm not digging the power supply tho, it seems a little small even tho it is sheilded.
If it can provide enough juice I guess it will work.  It looks like the same supply that A LOT of Chinese companies are using now. 
Maybe they are cheaper? 

No, it's tailored for Matrix with the laser logo on it.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #464 of 5,176

Quote:
Looks nice, even more refined than a real BCL.

The new transformer is low profile EI transformer, its soldered onto the circuit board thus eliminating the need for some wires. It does look smaller, there no indication on the unit itself but I assume it outputs the same amount as the old torodial with the benefit of some shielding. Only testing will determine if it is better, worse, or (most likely) the same. 

I can't make out from the picture but there are also a couple of more black resistors or some type of IC between the transformer and the big gold capacitors. Not sure what they are for.

The RCA inputs/outputs are also now soldered directly onto the board. They look the same as the pictures on page 1 of this thread, the ones on the actual BCL are more "audiophile" grade.

There is also what looks like an extra relay, the little white block next the transformer. I think there was only one on the old board. 

I dig the black color.

Good catch on the additional relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back