Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #346 of 5,176

Quote:
Sorry guys after spending the entire evening sorting through the entire thread on the T1 I decided I was too impulsive in ordering them. I do not believe I would be happy long term and I am on the list for the LCD2. I want a can that is significantly better than and INO worth the price of admission. I did not get that impression from reading the threads and I like the cans I have now. So the wait goes on.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah no, now I will never find out :frowning2:

Someone else buy a T1 with the M-Stage 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #347 of 5,176
I'd oblige if you provide me the funds for a T1 lol.

Mmmm...think I'm gonna have to find a better cable to link up the D10 to the M-Stage or should it not be a problem? :)

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #349 of 5,176

Quote:
Little update: I don't want to be a downer, but I am noticing some harshness or hardness or metallic sound to some of the highs. But I don't think this is the M-Stage so much as the 702's. The EF-1 covered this up some with it's "tube" warmth (but I could still tell it was there), but the M-Stage is more neutral and thus revealing. It is funny though, there still seems to be less harsh highs as I said before, but this is in the very upper highs. The more upper mid range and lower treble seems a bit harder or colder or sibilant.

This problem with the highs only seems really apparent on some material (bright) and at higher volumes though.

On the good side I'm noticing more articulation and detail in the bass, more air or headspace in the highs (not sure about detail yet), and I think vocals have been brought up or are more forward in the mix. And then there is all the power and energy that is just wonderful.

Whatever the "problem" with the highs (which is the SS of the 702 more than the Matrix I think) I still am much preferring this amp over the EF-1 and am quite happy with it. More as I listen more and A/B and try out my 225i's with the M-Stage.

Great review! This amp is starting to sound like the new cost/performance champ, I am consumed with the need to purchase one!

I need to get off this site. 
dt880smile.png

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #351 of 5,176

Quote:
I really have not noticed a harsh tremble unless it is a bad recording. One think will never change with both the Matrix and AKG they are both very revealing. If you hear it on all recordings  that would tell you something is not right somewhere. I tend to try to listen to mostly well recorded material.

I think I was a little too quick in my judgment. This is why I usually wait longer to write anything about a piece of gear!

What I did was go through some "test" material and just listen to bits of songs. Some did sound a little harsh, but this was just parts of songs and only then with certain material (like "bright" 80's pop, rock, and metal). I listened to some singer/songwriter material too, and the vocals did lack some warmth, but they also were more up front in the mix.

Anyway, I listened some last night and am right now with material that is good SQ but not "the best" and it is sounding just fantastic! Not too bright or harsh, and full of energy, quickness, and a "snappy" sound. And I keep being impressed by the quality of the bass, articulate, punchy, and fast and not over done. The highs do sound harder or more metallic than before (especially drum cymbals), but they are not fatiguing and they are also clearer. My music has been infused with a fresh new life!
k701smile.gif

I do have several favorite albums on both regular version as well as Gold Masters and some of the Gold Masters do sound better in particular with this amp since it is more revealing/transparent than the EF-1. Before it was more of a toss up between the two, with both sounding good in their own way. Some albums it is still like this, but for albums that are a bit too bright in their original non-gold mastered versions, the Gold Masters add that bit of warmth to them and sound great.

Quote:
lol. i just got it today and I'm listening to it now as I type this. question though, what volume do you have your amp at? cos' I'm more or less listening to it at 12 o'clock with the gain set at 10 I think. lol.

About 10 or 11, 12 if I'm really blasting the tunes!

How do you like the amp?

Quote:

Great review! This amp is starting to sound like the new cost/performance champ, I am consumed with the need to purchase one!

I need to get off this site. 
dt880smile.png

Thanks! I posted a lengthier one a page or two before that one though in case you missed it.

Quote:
I am stunned by the speed of the shipping. I ordered mine Friday afternoon and it arrived at my local post office THIS morning. That was crazy fast.

*edit* It's here
biggrin.gif

Awesome! Enjoy!

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #353 of 5,176
What Pariah is hearing in the Matrix / K701 combo is the Matrix ruthlessly exposing strengths and weaknesses of the K701.  I have the same complaint with the BCL.  However I do believe as a reference amplifier, the matrix is a great neutral point to listening for differences in headphones as objectively as possible as it should be able to drive 95 percent of all headphones to full capacity.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #354 of 5,176
Don't forget by the same token if the Matrix is exposing the weaknesses of the phones it is certainly exposing the weaknesses of the source DAC as well.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #355 of 5,176
Without a doubt, however going with a warmer source will manage - not eradicate - the common complaints of the K700 series, SS equipment is not colored enough to fully mask it - IMO.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #356 of 5,176
I agree with all said above, and the DAC Magic is supposed to be on the bright side, no?

Either way it's not so much a slight disappointment like it was a couple days ago as just getting used to the SS of the Matrix compared to my EF-1 with the same phones and source. At least with what I've been listening to the last couple days and now. I still have much more listening to do, but nothing is sounding harsh or fatiguing like it was a bit before, just different, clearer and somewhat "harder".

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #357 of 5,176

Quote:
I agree with all said above, and the DAC Magic is supposed to be on the bright side, no?

Either way it's not so much a slight disappointment like it was a couple days ago as just getting used to the SS of the Matrix compared to my EF-1 with the same phones and source. At least with what I've been listening to the last couple days and now. I still have much more listening to do, but nothing is sounding harsh or fatiguing like it was a bit before, just different, clearer and somewhat "harder".

It is very reveling. I think it is a great reference amp. It works so well and the bass is very very good. it is the highs of my 701 are revealing of the recording I feed it and if it is not well recorded you wont like the sound. When I use the D7000 which is more expensive I can really hear differences between the class difference between the two phones. The Denon are more refined/ The sound isnt hard at all and they really shine with this amp. I think you will find as you go up in price you notice the difference and the Matrix will let you hear it. I will let you guys know how it is with the T1.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #360 of 5,176

Quote:
It is very reveling. I think it is a great reference amp. It works so well and the bass is very very good. it is the highs of my 701 are revealing of the recording I feed it and if it is not well recorded you wont like the sound. When I use the D7000 which is more expensive I can really hear differences between the class difference between the two phones. The Denon are more refined/ The sound isnt hard at all and they really shine with this amp. I think you will find as you go up in price you notice the difference and the Matrix will let you hear it. I will let you guys know how it is with the T1.

Agreed, I think this will make a fine reference amp since it is revealing, transparent, and neutral. And it also sounds great! The more I listen the more I like it! The bass is so tight, taut, punchy, powerful and articulate I can't get enough!

For me the 702's are more refined/"hi-fi" than my Grado 225i's (and 595's), so I know what you are talking about in a sense. The 225i's are still at least good cans, but the 702's simply outclass them.

I'm not personally willing to spend more than $300 on cans, but I'm not disparaging anyone who does so. It just isn't me. What I have currently is more than good enough. I will probably get some closed cans here sometime and I'd like to try some DT 880's or 990's or some ATH's for open backed cans, but that's about it. I'd sell back what I didn't prefer as much.

Quote:
I own the dacmagic and think it is on the neutral to slightly-bright side of things. 

I'd agree, and it's one reason I choose it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back