Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #181 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent about 8 hrs yesterday listening. I used mostly female vocals yesterday such as Susan Boyle,Joni Mitchell, Holly Cole and Patricia Barber all on the 701. The amp benefits from warm up as it sounded best late yesterday. Ver fast nice detail and good bass. It is driving the 701 as it appears it was matched well for the K701. It has nice power and is very transparent. Today I want to open it up and see the parts are as advertised. I will post my review and compare it to the Little Dot MK11 with upgraded tubes which cost the same with the 80.00 tubes I am using. Early impressions on the two amps is that the Matrix does not stop the Little Dot. Different presentations but the little Dot is holding up very well.

Interesting findings!

May 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #182 of 5,176
Quote:

I spent about 8 hrs yesterday listening. I used mostly female vocals yesterday such as Susan Boyle,Joni Mitchell, Holly Cole and Patricia Barber all on the 701. The amp benefits from warm up as it sounded best late yesterday. Ver fast nice detail and good bass. It is driving the 701 as it appears it was matched well for the K701. It has nice power and is very transparent. Today I want to open it up and see the parts are as advertised. I will post my review and compare it to the Little Dot MK11 with upgraded tubes which cost the same with the 80.00 tubes I am using. Early impressions on the two amps is that the Matrix does not stomp the Little Dot. Different presentations but the little Dot is holding up very well.

That's almost my findings as well. I've A/B the Matrix with a few amps close in price range. And find it not a giant killer but a decent, Clean, Transparent, Well Built amp. It's is about the same as the Little Dot as far as power output.
I'll give a better detailed write up after a few more A/Bs.
So far I feel the amp is great but maybe a little overpriced as far as what you get for the $. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice unit but if it had maybe a Dac the $270 price would seem a better deal. With so many low cost products packed with many features it's hard to say the Matrix is a GOOD deal???
Even A/B with the Aune with 2 744s on a Browndog I feel the Matrix isn't leaps ahead in terms of sound. And the Aune is loaded with features, Plus it's about $100 cheaper after the opamps... More to come after a longer time with the Matrix...

May 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #183 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPACEACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's almost my findings as well. I've A/B the Matrix with a few amps close in price range. And find it not a giant killer but a decent, Clean, Transparent, Well Built amp. It's is about the same as the Little Dot as far as power output.
So far I feel the amp is great but maybe a little overpriced as far as what you get for the $. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice unit but if it had maybe a Dac the $270 price would seem a better deal. With so many low cost products packed with many features it's hard to say the Matrix is a GOOD deal???
Even A/B with the Aune with 2 744s on a Browndog I feel the Matrix isn't leaps ahead in terms of sound. And the Aune is loaded with features, Plus it's about $100 cheaper after the opamps... More to come after a longer time with the Matrix...

Glad I am not alone. However where it does sound better than the Little Dot is playing large scale classical albums. I notice the power and it drives the 701 effortlessy. I am still early in my impressions but is a very nice amp.

May 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #184 of 5,176
Isn't it a little bit disingenious to compare the Aune with opgraded opamps to the M-Stage with stock ones?

May 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #185 of 5,176
Today I plan on using Classical mostly large scale recordings for today. Very impressed with the amp playing full scale works with the K701. Crystal clear and very dynamic. Sorting through complex recordings and it seems the sweet spot for this amp. Very dynamic with good slam.

May 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #186 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPACEACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny you would compare price like that considering the M-Stage is a clone of the LBC and at less than a third the cost.

May 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #187 of 5,176
As good as the Aune may be, I don't think it allows you to witness the full potential of the M-stage.
I'm quite sure you'll feel the same even with much more expensive amps.

Feed the M-stage with a better DAC and you'll have a change of heart.

May 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #188 of 5,176
I will say that the amp is worth the price of admission. Listening to classical albums all day and it resolves the orchestra well. It is powerful and has ample detail. It never sounds harsh and handles some Reference Recordingd CD's and the Copland which has the Fanfare for Common men which is always a good test for a source and a amp and the Matrix delivers/.I switched it out and the Little Dot MK11 sounds very good as well but not as powerful and bass is tighter in presentation with the Matrix. It is made for K701. I wouldn't say its better than the Little Dot just different. Both amps do well but the Matrix is a better match for the 701 IMHO. When I get pat 100 hrs I will do my review. I have about 25 hrs on the amp now and haven't noticed any significant changes.

May 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #189 of 5,176
I spent most of the weekend listening to the Matrix with my D2000s - I am very impressed with the amp - it's got great power and the detailed presentation really mates well with the Denons for me. I very much like the D2000s as a compliment/change up to my k701s. Sometimes in the past (i.e. with certain tubes) I found the lows just a tad muddy on the D2000s - not with the Matrix. The lows are chest thumping, but in a really controlled way - I don't find anything missing for me in the mids or the highs and the soundstage is beautiful. They sounded as good as I've ever heard them with the M-Stage.

It really is a revealing unit - I listen to mostly lossless files from my MacBook to my DacMagic and I can hear significant differences in the production quality of the tracks that I can't remember noticing before - that's pretty exciting.

As far as a comparison - I briefly A/B'd it against my LD I+ (with Mullard 8100s EF95s) and plan on doing more of that (I recently sold a MKIII so have heard that amp quite a bit as well). My initial impression was the Matrix was a pretty big step up - but I'll need to do more of that. I'm thinking that my LDI+ (with some EF91/6AM6 - Blue Glass Mullards) will eventually be able to give me a tube fix when I'm in the mood for something a little different - we'll see.

May 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #190 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent most of the weekend listening to the Matrix with my D2000s - I am very impressed with the amp - it's got great power and the detailed presentation really mates well with the Denons for me. I very much like the D2000s as a compliment/change up to my k701s. Sometimes in the past (i.e. with certain tubes) I found the lows just a tad muddy on the D2000s - not with the Matrix. The lows are chest thumping, but in a really controlled way - I don't find anything missing for me in the mids or the highs and the soundstage is beautiful. They sounded as good as I've ever heard them with the M-Stage.

It really is a revealing unit - I listen to mostly lossless files from my MacBook to my DacMagic and I can hear significant differences in the production quality of the tracks that I can't remember noticing before - that's pretty exciting.

As far as a comparison - I briefly A/B'd it against my LD I+ (with Mullard 8100s EF95s) and plan on doing more of that (I recently sold a MKIII so have heard that amp quite a bit as well). My initial impression was the Matrix was a pretty big step up - but I'll need to do more of that. I'm thinking that my LDI+ (with some EF91/6AM6 - Blue Glass Mullards) will eventually be able to give me a tube fix when I'm in the mood for something a little different - we'll see.

I have done very little A/B comparision with the Little Dot MK11 with the 6H30 and Mullard 4010 but I wouldn't say IMHO the Matrix stomps it. Both cost with my upgraded tubes is identical and I like the tube sound. The MKI1 is an outstanding amp and offers a different presentation IMHO. Like both

May 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #191 of 5,176
Quote:

I have done very little A/B comparision with the Little Dot MK11 with the 6H30 and Mullard 4010 but I wouldn't say IMHO the Matrix stomps it. Both cost with my upgraded tubes is identical and I like the tube sound. The MKI1 is an outstanding amp and offers a different presentation IMHO. Like both

Sounds like we have similar plans - I specifically wanted a nice SS amp to compliment my LD and think so far I've made a good choice. I really love the LD I+ and the tube rolling is a blast. If nothing else - I'd suggest these Chinese amps are great options (and awesome values) for many!

I was hoping that the Matrix would help me settle in for a while and not want to constantly upgrade my setup (unless I find myself unexpectedly spending some dough on a Woo Audio amp or something stupid like that)
wink_face.gif
! I've gotta stay off of this site.

May 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #192 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like we have similar plans - I specifically wanted a nice SS amp to compliment my LD and think so far I've made a good choice. I really love the LD I+ and the tube rolling is a blast. If nothing else - I'd suggest these Chinese amps are great options (and awesome values) for many!

I was hoping that the Matrix would help me settle in for a while and not want to constantly upgrade my setup (unless I find myself unexpectedly spending some dough on a Woo Audio amp or something stupid like that)
wink_face.gif
! I've gotta stay off of this site.

The only other amp on my sights is the DecWare. I want to use that in my main system as a preamp. But I need to sell off my vinyl rig and records first. Once I do that I wi;; buy the Decware to use with my Outlaw 2150 and sub with the Maggie MMG. Then I am done. LOL

May 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #193 of 5,176
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Feed the M-stage with a better DAC and you'll have a change of heart.

Like which one?

May 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #195 of 5,176
No, genuine interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back