Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #1,232 of 5,176
Thanks, I think I'll give them a try. I don't have any diy skills myself, but if I have the right components I may go to a audio shop or something and have them put it together. Any idea how much that will cost me and where to get those components here in Europe? A good price would be great, as buying HD650, V-Dac and M-Stage the last months has left me with no more money to spend for audio.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #1,233 of 5,176

Quote:
The first thing I noticed when I changed the stock opamp for the 627 was how much more spacious everything sounded, and more 3-D.

Makes me even more anxious to receive my chip from Tam!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,234 of 5,176

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, I think I'll give them a try. I don't have any diy skills myself, but if I have the right components I may go to a audio shop or something and have them put it together. Any idea how much that will cost me and where to get those components here in Europe? A good price would be great, as buying HD650, V-Dac and M-Stage the last months has left me with no more money to spend for audio.

I recommend here: http://cimarrontechnology.com. You can order the class-A mod from coolfungadget, if you want that too.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #1,236 of 5,176
I'll be getting a Beyerdynamic DT990/600ohm soon, and I was curious as to what gain setting to use once it arrives.  Is 18db enough? Or do I need to push the Matrix up to its 20db gain?

Thanks for any help.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #1,237 of 5,176
 Jibbie, it is better to test it yourself - it is done in 10 seconds.

By the way, I was using 10dB for my DT880 / 600 with LM4562 2.7k - looks like it sounded better at this gain (less muddy).

But after changing the OPA to Earth last night, I tried the other settings and I think it sounds better at 20dB - more open and with better soundstage. I don't know if this is in my mind or if it makes sense hearing some difference in sound between those settings, if this is the case I think I'll have to rewrite the brief comparison I made some pages ago between LM4562 and OPA Earth.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #1,239 of 5,176
Quote:
Should one turn off the Matrix when changing the gain settings?

Probably a good plan, although really it shouldn't make any difference. You're already turning the amp upside-down to get to the dip switches so it's not too much hassle to hit the power switch as well. I could only think that it would cause a problem with a headphone connected and a short-circuit in the amp.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,240 of 5,176
What's the right way to turn of M-Stage? I usually close the power switch to the power strip where M-Stage and V-Dac are connected, with the headphones connected. Any problem with that?

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,242 of 5,176

Quote:
But after changing the OPA to Earth last night, I tried the other settings and I think it sounds better at 20dB - more open and with better soundstage. I don't know if this is in my mind or if it makes sense hearing some difference in sound between those settings, if this is the case I think I'll have to rewrite the brief comparison I made some pages ago between LM4562 and OPA Earth.
biggrin.gif

I installing the OPA Earth a simple plug and play swap?  If yes, where do you find this op amp?

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,243 of 5,176
 Yes, but be careful with the little "half moon" mark there, ok?

I bought my Earth OPA from Audio-GD, you should mention the DUAL. Buy the extension lead too, 100mm, but ask if they can make an 110mm extension so it leave you a little more room.

One more comment about this OPA, my impression is that Matrix is running hotter than before (LM4562 2.7k)!

Quote:
I installing the OPA Earth a simple plug and play swap?  If yes, where do you find this op amp?

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,244 of 5,176
Yeah, the casing gets significantly hotter with a discrete in.

I've been considering making some ventilation holes but I don't know if I'll bother, because I haven't experienced any problems or weirdness and I've had the amp on basically 24/7 for a month or so.

Quote:
 Yes, but be careful with the little "half moon" mark there, ok?

I bought my Earth OPA from Audio-GD, you should mention the DUAL. Buy the extension lead too, 100mm, but ask if they can make an 110mm extension so it leave you a little more room.

One more comment about this OPA, my impression is that Matrix is running hotter than before (LM4562 2.7k)!

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,245 of 5,176

Quote:

Is Audio GD an online store or a DIY site? Could you provide a link to the product page>
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back