Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,801 of 5,176
This would make a lot of sense to me. Iv always thought the mstage was a bit euphonic. I wish we had measurments for his thing!

Yep, I wish we had measurements!
It may be a touch warm sounding, but I suspect the frequency response is as flat as a calm sea.

May 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #4,802 of 5,176
This would make a lot of sense to me. Iv always thought the mstage was a bit euphonic. I wish we had measurments for his thing!

Yep, I wish we had measurements!
It may be a touch warm sounding, but I suspect the frequency response is as flat as a calm sea.

When you say "warm" what do you mean exactly? I know people use the word different ways but i've alway thought that in general it referred to a sound signature where the mids were more prominent than the treble. I assume your using the word differently because your saying it's both warm and has a neutral frequency response?

May 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,803 of 5,176
When you say "warm" what do you mean exactly? I know people use the word different ways but i've alway thought that in general it referred to a sound signature where the mids were more prominent than the treble. I assume your using the word differently because your saying it's both warm and has a neutral frequency response?

Ummmmm...I know it when I hear it?

I typically used my Matrix M-Stage with an LM4562, so my impressions are really based on that Op Amp with the M.
I call it warm because the treble was not harsh or strident or glassy, OTOH the bass was very nicely controlled.

I think with amps we may call this amp warm or that amp analytical, but if you were to put both on a test bench you would probably find that they both had an extremely flat frequency response.

May 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #4,804 of 5,176
Hey guys,

I use the m-stage (stock op-amp) together with my Q701s..
something I noticed while playing with it:
When set on 0db gain, I have a massive soundstage, but the bass is lacking, and the mids lack a "kick" to them.
When set on 10db, the soundstage gets extremely reduced(like none), I get the "kick", and the frequency response feels all over the place (the lows deminish the highs).
When set on 18db, soundstage is back! and everything sounds very balanced.
How come? 
confused.gif

Is my m-stage faulty on 10db? anyone else experienced it?

I have ordered a couple of op-amps, to try. could they fix this issue?
Thanks! 
atsmile.gif

May 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4,805 of 5,176
Hey guys,

I use the m-stage (stock op-amp) together with my Q701s..

something I noticed while playing with it:

When set on 0db gain, I have a massive soundstage, but the bass is lacking, and the mids lack a "kick" to them.

When set on 10db, the soundstage gets extremely reduced(like none), I get the "kick", and the frequency response feels all over the place (the lows deminish the highs).

When set on 18db, soundstage is back! and everything sounds very balanced.

How come? 
confused.gif

Is my m-stage faulty on 10db? anyone else experienced it?

I have ordered a couple of op-amps, to try. could they fix this issue?

Thanks! 
atsmile.gif

Hmmm....once I adjusted for volume, I had a hard time differentiating between 0, 10 and 18 dB of gain.
Did you compare using an SPL meter to match SPL?

I found that 20 dB sounded a bit lifeless, which makes no sense!

I wouldn't try comparing different gain settings until the M Stage has had an hour or two to warm up.

May 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #4,806 of 5,176
Well, it had at least a few hours of warm up, so that should't be the issue.
Didn't try the 20db yet, so no comment on that :p

I don't have a spl meter, aside from an android app, and my ears :)

BTW, am I correct on assuming, that I must turn off the amp, before changing the gain?

P.S: I've got the 2.1 version of m-stage.

May 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,807 of 5,176
  Well, it had at least a few hours of warm up, so that should't be the issue.
Didn't try the 20db yet, so no comment on that :p

I don't have a spl meter, aside from an android app, and my ears :)

BTW, am I correct on assuming, that I must turn off the amp, before changing the gain?

P.S: I've got the 2.1 version of m-stage.

You don't have to turn it off before switching the gain, I am pretty positive about this 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,808 of 5,176
Thanks,

Just remembered that the objective o2 has a gain switch at the front.. stupid me.

Wish there was one on the m-stage as well.. some music just sounds a lot better on 0db, while other on 18db. 

Any guide on converting the input switch at the front, to a gain switch? 
biggrin.gif

(I really should learn to use the quote button)

May 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #4,809 of 5,176
You don't have to turn it off before switching the gain, I am pretty positive about this :)

You don't have to turn the Matrix off, but you should turn the volume down when you increase the gain to 18 dB with your headphones on and music playing!

A bit obvious, just thought I would say it anyway.
Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, BTW. :xf_eek:

May 28, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4,810 of 5,176
If anyone is looking to buy the HPA2 w/ USB module with extra op-amps for a very good price - http://www.head-fi.org/t/720588/fs-2014-matrix-mstage-hpa-2-w-usb-module-dac-extra-op-amps

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #4,812 of 5,176
Just the packaging.
It's the same amplifier, though.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #4,814 of 5,176
How well will the Matrix M-Stage drive a headphone like the HD600? Will it sound too warm perhaps or can this be remedied by using a different op-amp? Can the M-Stage drive orthos such as the HE-400 and HE-500? Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,815 of 5,176
How well will the Matrix M-Stage drive a headphone like the HD600? Will it sound too warm perhaps or can this be remedied by using a different op-amp? Can the M-Stage drive orthos such as the HE-400 and HE-500? Thanks!

Personally, owning the Mstage recently, I'd recommend it for use with neutral, possibly even bright cans. The HD600 might be too warm with it.... Similarly it might drive the 400 ok but the 500 would certainly benefit from more power.
Personally, I'd recommend at a few extra bucks some of the Audio GD products, like the NFB15, NFB11 or even the Compass2. Or things similar to the Mstage but cheaper - Hifiman's own EF2a
or as a standalone amp the Schiit Vali. Or Aune X1 or T1...
Mstage is good for fairly neutral headphones and I'd consider the HD600 too dark and the Hifomans too power hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back