Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #4,396 of 5,176
I received my burson few hours ago and honestly i wished the m-stage was there up  to its level so i could return it and my wallet would have been happier.
It's in a different league honestly, soundstage wise it makes the hd650 shine like never before. Not a hint of 'sennheiser veil and a quite surprising treble extension up there.

It looks beautiful, feel like ultra high-end quality and will steal alot of my listening time for the next weeks.
M-stage on the other hand was great for it's price, but i'm glad i've upgraded.

I might just keep it for my computer setup anyway, at least a use for its dac

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #4,397 of 5,176
  I received my burson few hours ago and honestly i wished the m-stage was there up  to its level so i could return it and my wallet would have been happier.
It's in a different league honestly, soundstage wise it makes the hd650 shine like never before. Not a hint of 'sennheiser veil and a quite surprising treble extension up there.

It looks beautiful, feel like ultra high-end quality and will steal alot of my listening time for the next weeks.
M-stage on the other hand was great for it's price, but i'm glad i've upgraded.

I might just keep it for my computer setup anyway, at least a use for its dac

Some pretty strong comments there 
biggrin.gif

What amplifier are you coming from for the M-stage? 

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,401 of 5,176
How would you describe the Matrix M-Stage compared to the O2? Trying to get an idea as to what the M-Stage sounds like.

Would you say that perhaps it's a tad fuller sounding and has slightly smoother treble? That's my idea.

I hate warm or dark sounding amps, but I'm sure there is a good chance i'd like the M-Stage since it's said to not be all that dark at all. Some slight warmth is ok (like the E17 or E9).

Is it darker than the E9? E9 isn't dark but seemed to have rolled off treble (that's audible slightly).

Right now I'm thinking of getting the M-Stage, Leckerton UHA-6S MKII or the Headroom Micro DAC.

My perfect sounding amp is the Micro with Astrodyne. Sounds even more transparent than the O2 to me. This is after 3 year of use.
O2 and that are very similar sounding really.

I'm a bit worried the HD-650 will be too congested or warm with the M-Stage, but should be OK.

I really want a Micro Amp killer for under $350. I don't think I can do it! Closest i've come is the O2 (!)

Apparently Micro Amp, E9 and M-Stage all share the stock op-amps. Doesn't mean much though.

Haha maybe the M-Stage will sound like a near clone of the Micro Amp? That'd be funny.

BTW when you switch sources is it stupid easy to hear the changes with the M-Stage? I love this about the O2 and Micro.

EDIT: I just bought the Micro DAC. I'm kind of a Headroom fanboy and have loved the Micro Amp since day one and couldn't resist. I'm sure i'll try the M-Stage some day.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,402 of 5,176
  How would you describe the Matrix M-Stage compared to the O2? Trying to get an idea as to what the M-Stage sounds like.

Would you say that perhaps it's a tad fuller sounding and has slightly smoother treble? That's my idea.

I hate warm or dark sounding amps, but I'm sure there is a good chance i'd like the M-Stage since it's said to not be all that dark at all. Some slight warmth is ok (like the E17 or E9).

Is it darker than the E9? E9 isn't dark but seemed to have rolled off treble (that's audible slightly).

Right now I'm thinking of getting the M-Stage, Leckerton UHA-6S MKII or the Headroom Micro DAC.

My perfect sounding amp is the Micro with Astrodyne. Sounds even more transparent than the O2 to me. This is after 3 year of use.
O2 and that are very similar sounding really.

I'm a bit worried the HD-650 will be too congested or warm with the M-Stage, but should be OK.

I really want a Micro Amp killer for under $350. I don't think I can do it! Closest i've come is the O2 (!)

Apparently Micro Amp, E9 and M-Stage all share the stock op-amps. Doesn't mean much though.

Haha maybe the M-Stage will sound like a near clone of the Micro Amp? That'd be funny.

BTW when you switch sources is it stupid easy to hear the changes with the M-Stage? I love this about the O2 and Micro.

EDIT: I just bought the Micro DAC. I'm kind of a Headroom fanboy and have loved the Micro Amp since day one and couldn't resist. I'm sure i'll try the M-Stage some day.

If you use the M Stage with the op627 class A mod I promise it will sound dark and warm. Some people like that sound but it is not for me. The stock opamp while not the best is much more neutral.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,403 of 5,176
k guys -.-'' the M-Stage is here, the Yulong D100 MKII is the DAC, i used the line out RCA L-R(yulong) and connected it to input 1 RCA input(M-Stage) 1st i heard big noise floor -.-'' played with the game and it does either stop or be there, while it did stop when i go to test the sound on the PC i hear a very low sound on one channel only, when i go with the no noise gain i hear nothing at all

did i do something wrong? -.-''

using TH600  headphone

update: tested it from the DVD player too, some gain setting = no sound and when there is a very very very low sound the noise floor is there :/ 

update: turned out to be that the opamp jumped out a little due shipping XD i am glad that it could be fixed :p

update: NOW I AM ENJOYING THE TREBLE!!! :D (opa627x2) the Yulong D100 MKII's amp section had a very very very boring sound!! -.-'' 

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,404 of 5,176
I never tried the stock opamp until around two weeks ago. I wanted to see how this little piece could change the overall sound of the amp.

Stock sound pretty much like most   ok solid state amp while the opa627 clearly borrow the fun sound signature of a tube amp. I find the sound much more enjoyable with my hd650 paired with the opa627. The bass impact is clearly an upgrade from the stock opamp. The treble is laid back yet more refinated than stock.  Soundstage seems pretty similar in both pieces.

As far as burson ha-160 vs m-stage it's not a fair comparaison but i'd say the m-stage is awesome for it's price ratio. I'm now  a believer in rolling opamp and can't believe how it chance the whole amp sound signature by that much. I've got a lm4562NA on it's way but i find it hard to think it will take opa627 place.

M-stage opa627 has more fun bass impact than burson ha-160. Burson has better bass texture and extension , awesome  mids and the most impressive treble clarity and extension i've got to ear in a headphone system so far.

The matrix stays here, in my computer setup :)

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4,406 of 5,176
It seems there is not many comparisons of the Matrix M-Stage to anything else.
I've heard comparisons to the E9, but not to the O2, Asgard 2 or Micro Amp.
I guess the M-Stage is supposed to be more transparent than the E9.

I always wanted to hear the M-Stage but I imagine it's too close to the sound of my Micro Amp to be worthwhile.

I sure hope the M-Stage is better than the Asgard 2.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,407 of 5,176
It seems there is not many comparisons of the Matrix M-Stage to anything else.
I've heard comparisons to the E9, but not to the O2, Asgard 2 or Micro Amp.
I guess the M-Stage is supposed to be more transparent than the E9.

I always wanted to hear the M-Stage but I imagine it's too close to the sound of my Micro Amp to be worthwhile.

I sure hope the M-Stage is better than the Asgard 2.

Compared ti the iCan, the M-Stage with lm4562 sounds more open and slightly less engaging. Even with the iCan's 3D switch on high the M-Stage still sounds like it has more width and depth. As for engagement, the iCan's well behaved bass boosts are a plus (especially when paired with the 3D boost).

The M-Stage sounds more refined but the iCan is more "fun" because of its switches. Hence why I keep both because the M-Stage pairs extremely well with my K712 on my gaming rig.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #4,408 of 5,176
Hi guys, does anyone have any idea how this matrix m stage amp with dac compare with Yulong D100 mk2? I am thinking of getting either combo but still unsure. I will be using it to drive akg q701 and westone 4r :S

I can get both of them about the same price with yulong d100 mk2 at about 15 dollars cheaper.

what do you guys think?

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #4,409 of 5,176
  Hi guys, does anyone have any idea how this matrix m stage amp with dac compare with Yulong D100 mk2? I am thinking of getting either combo but still unsure. I will be using it to drive akg q701 and westone 4r :S

I can get both of them about the same price with yulong d100 mk2 at about 15 dollars cheaper.

what do you guys think?

i got this setup , it is warm, but not too warm to make the treble goes off, make sure you get opa627ap x2 for the M-Stage or any other opamp else the M-Stage's stock will sound exactly the same as the Yulong's amp which is way too boring/lifeless for me -.-'' , tamaudio got the amp with the 627x2 already installed, and oh i am using TH600 and i am enjoying it a lot ^^ 

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,410 of 5,176
  i got this setup , it is warm, but not too warm to make the treble goes off, make sure you get opa627ap x2 for the M-Stage or any other opamp else the M-Stage's stock will sound exactly the same as the Yulong's amp which is way too boring/lifeless for me -.-'' , tamaudio got the amp with the 627x2 already installed, and oh i am using TH600 and i am enjoying it a lot ^^ 

I don't like the 627x2 because it's too warm for me. I prefer the more neutral and open sounding LM4562. But everyone has different tastes so do what works for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back