Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #1,846 of 5,176
Just bought a used Matrix from a fellow head-fier. The problem is no sound is coming out from either input. If I turn the volume to the max I can hear a faint sound of music. Any suggestions?

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,847 of 5,176
Have you checked the inside? Is the opamp seated properly?

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #1,849 of 5,176
Perhaps something is not soldered properly, then. I'd have to look at it myself. Did the guy tell you if he modified it?

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,850 of 5,176
Am I going for too much power by replacing my LDI+ for this?

I just want something that powers my D2000 to lush bassnesses, without muddling the vocals.

Good clean sound.

Plus, the kicker is if I get other top dog headphones I'll be able to use the same amp.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,851 of 5,176
I am having a small issue with my M Stage and am hoping that this is a good place to find help in resolving it.  Anytime I use the amp, I can hear a small, high pitched humming through my headphones.  Its like the headphone jack is conducting something it shouldnt be and its causing a weird noise.  If I put a slight amount of pressure on the headphone jack when the headphone is plugged in (i.e. making it so the headphone jack bends down slightly) the sound goes away.  Any idea what I can do to stop this humming.

Thanks

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #1,853 of 5,176

Quote:
I am having a small issue with my M Stage and am hoping that this is a good place to find help in resolving it.  Anytime I use the amp, I can hear a small, high pitched humming through my headphones.  Its like the headphone jack is conducting something it shouldnt be and its causing a weird noise.  If I put a slight amount of pressure on the headphone jack when the headphone is plugged in (i.e. making it so the headphone jack bends down slightly) the sound goes away.  Any idea what I can do to stop this humming.

Thanks

Reflow the solder joints on the jack.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #1,854 of 5,176

Quote:
Just bought a used Matrix from a fellow head-fier. The problem is no sound is coming out from either input. If I turn the volume to the max I can hear a faint sound of music. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to get your money back if the amp does not work. I would contact the seller.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #1,856 of 5,176

Quote:

Thanks

Are you running the stock op-amp? Did you swap op-amps? It sounds like oscillation. Try different gain settings or re-seating the op-amp.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #1,859 of 5,176
ya it is.  I hope someone could give us some comparison of the both.  =)

Quote:
Yes, I would be very interested to see that comparison as well.  My Beyer T1s arrive tomorrow and I was planning on using them with my m-stage, but the bottlehead crack+speedball has been getting a ton of positive reviews and it's relatively cheap to boot!

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,860 of 5,176
I have both amps, but have not done an A/B comparison.  The Crack is not compatible with low impedance headphones, sounds terrible with AKG K702s.  The M-stage could careless about HP impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back