Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Feb 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #241 of 624
Yes they do... and I don't even listen "that" loud...

Yeah..sound leakage isn't the worst, but its not good for quiet offices either. Strange because its touted as a work headphone.

But I'm actually loving the sound of these things so much, I want take it with me everywhere. And I do, because they are nice looking.

The PSB M4U is still my all time favorite in this category and price, but its so massive and ugly looking on my head that I never want to leave the house with it.

That and if they lighten up the mids a bit. On some songs I was putting away my Vibro that lacked the same solid punch and character of the mh40 but had a lot better balance and detail retrieval overall. Downright addicting HP the mh40 is. I found the leakage to be pretty bad as well. I bought it because after hearing Gelocks I thought I could record with it but it bled into my mic too much.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #242 of 624
You wanna talk about sound leakage, take a listen to DUNU Titan 1 :)  In comparison to those, MH40 is dead silent!
biggrin.gif

Surprisingly, MH40 pass the "wife" test on the couch when I was listening next to her.  With Titan's and a few others I usually get kicked off the couch lol!!!

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #244 of 624
Yeah the mh40 passes the girlfriend test for me as well. But I'm not sure about the co worker test. I'll try to find out.

And about the mids. They sounded wooly when I amped them, but through my moto nexus 6, it sounded pretty neutral. They sound very different amped versus non amped

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #245 of 624
You wanna talk about sound leakage, take a listen to DUNU Titan 1 :)  In comparison to those, MH40 is dead silent! :D

Surprisingly, MH40 pass the "wife" test on the couch when I was listening next to her.  With Titan's and a few others I usually get kicked off the couch lol!!!

Hmm the DUNU Titan sounds like perfect headphone for the local library, to share my audiophile love of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage lol. Just joking I feel one should not impose their musical tastes upon others. Hope everyone has a good night, I am going to listen to some jams, today was to stressful, be well all.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #246 of 624
Feb 22, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #247 of 624
I was in e-earphone briefly today and did a quick 10 min comparison between the MH40 and the Denon AH-MM400. Both are comfortable on the head with the MM400 having a slightly less clamping force on the head.

As for SQ, take this with a massive grain of salt as listening in a shop is subject to all sorts of external influences. At least for that moment with that particular pair of demo MM400's I felt the MH40 had more of a lower mids focus whilst the MM400 on the upper mids focus. I think the MM400 seemed to have a little wider soundstage but somewhat flatter signature whilst the MH40 having a slightly smaller but more decay (again in the upper bass/lower midrange). In this case it seems to help the depth imaging over the MM400.

The two are different enough that if I had the funds I'd be happy to own both.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #248 of 624
Come on Anak!
I already own and love the MH40s!
Don't make me buy the MM400s as well!! :wink:

How about the earpad comfort? Are the MM400s similar in shape, depth and feel. I mean, the MH40s are just "Ok" for me, so I'd definitely prefer something bigger...
Also, the MH40s actually leak a bit, does the MM400s leak as well?

Thanks,

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #249 of 624
Well that's the problem with 10 min impressions - the only way to be sure is to buy, buy, buy :wink:. Hehe....

The MM400 to me feels shallower than the MH40. For my head and ears, both feel comfortable. I find the MM400 to be a more confident on-ear whereas the MH40 is somewhat more of a fence sitter. I couldn't tell if it was leaking though as I was in a shop and no one around me seemed to have complained about my Toto album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back