Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #260 of 624
Anyone had a chance to compare these with the Alpha Dog? if so what are the verdict?
smily_headphones1.gif

A consumer-aimed, design-focused $400 headphone to an audiophile-aimed, sound-focused &700 headphone? A comparison between the two I find very unlikely. Also, the latter needs an amp.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #261 of 624
Anyone had a chance to compare these with the Alpha Dog? if so what are the verdict?
smily_headphones1.gif

The short story(after having both) is that the alpha dog is the superior headphone as any would suspect. They both have great mids with the AD having a brighter sound, better technicalities, better imaging and speed. The MH40 having better slam, punch, musicality, warmth, sounds a lot more closed in and thick in the lower mids. The AD also isolates leaks less sound. If choosing between the two and bass slam isn't priority then the AD would be the choice. But the MH40 is a lot more fun in my opinion. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #262 of 624
The short story(after having both) is that the alpha dog is the superior headphone as any would suspect. They both have great mids with the AD having a brighter sound, better technicalities, better imaging and speed. The MH40 having better slam, punch, musicality, warmth, sounds a lot more closed in and thick in the lower mids. The AD also isolates leaks less sound. If choosing between the two and bass slam isn't priority then the AD would be the choice. But the MH40 is a lot more fun in my opinion. 

Thanks for your impressions sir, I have thought about getting a pair and words, such as yours, tempt me.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #263 of 624
  A consumer-aimed, design-focused $400 headphone to an audiophile-aimed, sound-focused &700 headphone? A comparison between the two I find very unlikely. Also, the latter needs an amp.

1) What are the definitions of "consumer-aimed, designed-focused" vs. "audiophile-aimed"? Aren't they subjective and honestly just a label or even a marketing term?
2) you can easily find used Alpha Dog for $400-$500 here on classified, which will make the two headphones at around the same price bracket.
Also, using price to categorize/judge the level of sound qualities of headphones is a huge mistake in my opinion - Beats headphone is an easy example, albeit a little too hackneyed. 

Thanks for the comparison! :)

I had a chance to listen to the MH40s and found them to be very fun too. My main complain about them are that the sub-bass is a tad too much for me, not detailed enough in the mids and highs, and perhaps not enough soundstage/imaging for me. Do you have any recommendation? I am also eyeing on the PM-3 from Oppo and EL-8 closed back from Audeze. What say you? :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #264 of 624

1) What are the definitions of "consumer-aimed, designed-focused" vs. "audiophile-aimed"? Aren't they subjective and honestly just a label or even a marketing term?

2) you can easily find used Alpha Dog for $400-$500 here on classified, which will make the two headphones at around the same price bracket.

Also, using price to categorize/judge the level of sound qualities of headphones is a huge mistake in my opinion - Beats headphone is an easy example, albeit a little too hackneyed. 

1.) So you think the Alpha Dog is something a consumer would buy, then? It's not just a label; it's a category, and the MH40 and Alpha Dog are worlds apart.

2.) Interesting, I didn't know that. But I went from the regular retail prices as I'm clearly not an avid watcher of the classifieds here, unlike you. 

Where did I say I'm "using price to categorize the sound qualities" of headphones here? From my experience, price does go up with performance (up until the $1000 mark, in which the performance margins become extremely small). And to use Beats crap as an example is a huge mistake in my opinion.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #265 of 624
Asking a comparison between the MH40 is a Alpha Dog is a fair question. We don't know anything about the person asking the question. If he doesn't have access to both, it's fair to ask what the sonic differences are, what the comfort of the headphones are, what the requirements of both are, etc. Nor do we know how he intends to use it.

Try to keep an open mind and attempt to look from what perspective the owner of the question is coming from. Or state the facts from first hand experience of both.

SNSDLuv,

Sonically the ADs have somewhat more finesse in it's ability to portray microdetail. To my ears it's also a somewhat more "flatter" response from the lower midrange to trebles. The MH40 OTOH to me is somewhat a little more coloured with elevated sub-to-mid bass. The AD's are somewhat more "precise" than the MH40. Comfort-wise, they are both comfortable from a clamping perspective for my head. The ADs isolate better than the MH40 however and the ADs are more definitive circumaural whereas for the MH40's to me they're borderline supra-aural/circumaural - maybe I have big ears.

The ADs also need a decent amp to drive them well. Not to say there's no sound if you have basic amp but let's just say one wouldn't be driving them the best if the amp didn't have a decent clean current whereas the MH40 is geared much more towards portability.

Why would I choose one over the other (I should state that my ADs have been sold to @shigzeo - we kinda did a swap...he bought my ADs, and in return I have borrowed a demo MH40 from him).

I would pick the ADs if I'm doing somewhat more critique listening and want to focus on details for reviewing some component. This would also mean I won't be walking around with the ADs.

However I also have an interest in the MH40's for more 'runaround' headphones where I'm literally on the move - like shopping around town over the weekend, catching public transport, etc. I would consider this as an alternative to my V-Moda headphones.

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #266 of 624
Asking a comparison between the MH40 is a Alpha Dog is a fair question. We don't know anything about the person asking the question. If he doesn't have access to both, it's fair to ask what the sonic differences are, what the comfort of the headphones are, what the requirements of both are, etc. Nor do we know how he intends to use it.

Try to keep an open mind and attempt to look from what perspective the owner of the question is coming from. Or state the facts from first hand experience of both.

SNSDLuv,

Sonically the ADs have somewhat more finesse in it's ability to portray microdetail. To my ears it's also a somewhat more "flatter" response from the lower midrange to trebles. The MH40 OTOH to me is somewhat a little more coloured with elevated sub-to-mid bass. The AD's are somewhat more "precise" than the MH40. Comfort-wise, they are both comfortable from a clamping perspective for my head. The ADs isolate better than the MH40 however and the ADs are more definitive circumaural whereas for the MH40's to me they're borderline supra-aural/circumaural - maybe I have big ears.

The ADs also need a decent amp to drive them well. Not to say there's no sound if you have basic amp but let's just say one wouldn't be driving them the best if the amp didn't have a decent clean current whereas the MH40 is geared much more towards portability.

Why would I choose one over the other (I should state that my ADs have been sold to @shigzeo
 - we kinda did a swap...he bought my ADs, and in return I have borrowed a demo MH40 from him).

I would pick the ADs if I'm doing somewhat more critique listening and want to focus on details for reviewing some component. This would also mean I won't be walking around with the ADs.

However I also have an interest in the MH40's for more 'runaround' headphones where I'm literally on the move - like shopping around town over the weekend, catching public transport, etc. I would consider this as an alternative to my V-Moda headphones.

Thanks for sharing your keen observations comparing and contrasting the cans. One should always try to consider the person behind the question. And I admit that is easier said than done. Thanks for the thoughtful impression, it has given my loopy self something to grok.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #267 of 624
Here is the thing, and where a lot will disagree with me on. I think the MH40's have a good soundstage, image separation,  for such a small cup and highly portable design. It will best a lot of those in its category. There are headphone in its price that do better but not many in its category and that is why relatively speaking I think its noteworthy. It is missing a balance that is usually associated with a spacious sound and it has a thick balance but that is where a lot of people tend to associate frequency balance with soundstage experience and I find that off. The spacial ques don't sound too close imo but the balance sounds a bit heavy though which makes you think it is. 

I could be wrong but that is how I heard them. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #268 of 624
Paired the MH40's with my desk top amp and all I have to say is WOW!! It really opened these up I usually use them with a AK100II but hooked up to my desk top amp it's a totally different headphone. I wish I could carry around my desk top amp it sounds that good.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #269 of 624
I finally got to hear these at CanJam SoCal and I was very impressed.

A little warm sounding but still fairly neutral and they had excellent SQ for a compact over-the-ear headphone.

Also, the cable was super light and flexible and tangle free.

The MH40 is definitely one of the top contenders in the $400 price range.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #270 of 624
  I finally got to hear these at CanJam SoCal and I was very impressed.

A little warm sounding but still fairly neutral and they had excellent SQ for a compact over-the-ear headphone.

Also, the cable was super light and flexible and tangle free.

The MH40 is definitely one of the top contenders in the $400 price range.

Another thing worth mentioning, considering its price tag, the quality of materials is PURE LUXURY!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back