Master Clock Talk
Apr 29, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,741 of 3,353
Well now, you've hit on a point that has puzzled me, and I've consulted a friend in the industry about it, too. The Crystek 575 has, on paper, good specs, but it sounds harsh and edgy in two components I have owned: the EtherREGEN and the LKS MH-DA004. For the EtherREGEN the cure is to use an external clock (AfterDark King) and for the LKS, which I no longer have, the cure was to have the Crystek replaced with a better clock (Coherent).

So, despite phase noise being a decent indication of sound quality, there is still more about the sound of a clock than we fully understand.
CCHD-575 is sensitive to the power supply noise. More than devices from NDK or Accusilicon. These are comments from divaudio users. From my experience it performs well in Audio GD R2R-11 (Amanero), but in Douk Audio U2Pro it could be better. But I didn't replace regulators and didn't do additional bypassing to confirm this claim.

If you compare sound with external clock source, it is probably unfair.

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,743 of 3,353
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,744 of 3,353
I understand what you're trying to fight for… fair business practices and I'm all for that.

But misguidedly, you are attacking the LHY's target audience of the OCK1 and OCK2 clocks—most of whom don't buy on pure phase numbers alone but partially/mostly based on peer recommendations and price shopping.

For that audience, the cost of the LHY OCK1 and OCK2 present a good value and have brought a noticeable level of improvement to their sound at a great price. This is the truth.

I'd wager most who lurk or are active on this thread belong to this audience. Your presumption that low phase noise is the only thing that matters to us (those on the Master Clock thread) is flawed and the main reason you've been shadowboxing for the last 5+ pages.

I've said this early on. @JaMo is the only person who has qualitatively triangulated the performance based on his owning the top of the line clock Mutec Ref10 120 so his word has a lot of weight.
I'm also following this thread kind of from the beginning having read up and "lurk" mostly... I'm hesitant with upgrading despite having saved now. I for one having been into "shaolin shadowboxing" and "the wu tang sword style" many years ago found the last pages and @camrector boxing style using his phase noise blows and cable knowledge moves energizing, far more than who uses what cable now...
This hobby is interesting that folks with extremley different tastes in music would never come together if it wasn't for interest in music AND gear... you know what I'm getting at, right?
I'm still interested in opinions/insider/audio pro's inputs why a tank of a device like AGD DAC and a tiny VW beatle meaning f. e. cybershaft MA-OP 19 plus power supply cost the same?
Since nobody answered a few pages ago...
@camrector is that tiny high end crystal that expensive to make up for number of parts, labour cost depending on how many pieces have to be put together? Are there DACs with 120/140 db @ 1/10 Hz Phase noise clocks?
Ferrum f. e. didn't adress what clock they use in their Wandla introductory videos... no external master clock input either🤔

I'm all for transparent business practices. Show whatcha got, anything to hide?
I want my food tested and labeled, although glyphosate grown veggies can be tastey. In the long run quality trumps flavor, you know what I'm getting at, right?

Mostly Mutec, LYH and almost no mention of other brand clocks. Maybe more and more DACs will have external clocks like amps have external power supplies...

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,745 of 3,353
The problem is there still is poor correlation to specs and sound enjoyment. So, I go more by reports from people I trust who actually buy and listen to the gear (I'm looking at you, @JaMo :) ) and known-good companies, than I do by angry mobs of one disgruntled sociopath with no standing. It's like MQA-bashing 2.0. Srlsly, get a life...

Have a nice day, y'all :D

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,747 of 3,353
So, a slow blow, 5x20, 1 A? I didnt understood the FST1, 0B, 1B.

I don't understand it either, just found the info in the doc. I guess you could look up the part number by those codes.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,748 of 3,353
I think You should concider a good power filter for Your listening gears. I'm using the Simple Best Power Filter EU version and it works just fine. They seem to have vanished, so You have to look elsewhere. I am sure You can get suggestions of good alternatives here on Head-fi. As always, a good power filtering along with decent power cables and sometimes fuses are the first steps and some precautions taken for damping for vibrations does the rest. A damping foam underneath the clock and maybe a dead weight (bag with dry sand or similar) on top, makes optimized conditions to ensure the best possible sound result.
/Jan
Yeah I use a "6 filter"
https://www.mudra-akustik.de/de/produkte/steckdosenleisten/steckdosenleiste-ls-filter.html

and what I would call decent power cables ca. 300 per 0,75m, most bought used...

Still when the fridge motor is running there is noise in the HP in between tracks and on pause... Kitchen and living room circuits most likely connected.

I want/need a single line from the fuse box to one wall outlet in the living room...

Some basics to cover before moving to EXT. clock, I guess

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,750 of 3,353
I'm still interested in opinions/insider/audio pro's inputs why a tank of a device like AGD DAC and a tiny VW beatle meaning f. e. cybershaft MA-OP 19 plus power supply cost the same?
I could corroborate with my AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown (-118dB@1Hz) costing considerably more than my Gustard U18 and X26 Pro combined.

Why? Because AD test and grade each OCXO module they bulk purchase. Because the yield of Emperor Triple Crown is presumably very low, and the Eva microscopic. Because, after all this, they put it on a PCB and case it up nicely in carbon fibre with quality components. Because their sales are low volume compared with Gustard's Chinese mass production.

The final kicker? Because it makes my Gustard combo, when connected together via I2S, sound like a very high end digital system, in fact the best I have personally heard.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,751 of 3,353
I'm also following this thread kind of from the beginning having read up and "lurk" mostly... I'm hesitant with upgrading despite having saved now. I for one having been into "shaolin shadowboxing" and "the wu tang sword style" many years ago found the last pages and @camrector boxing style using his phase noise blows and cable knowledge moves energizing, far more than who uses what cable now...
This hobby is interesting that folks with extremley different tastes in music would never come together if it wasn't for interest in music AND gear... you know what I'm getting at, right?
@camrector is that tiny high end crystal that expensive to make up for number of parts, labour cost depending on how many pieces have to be put together? Are there DACs with 120/140 db @ 1/10 Hz Phase noise clocks?
Ferrum f. e. didn't adress what clock they use in their Wandla introductory videos... no external master clock input either🤔

I'm all for transparent business practices. Show whatcha got, anything to hide?
I want my food tested and labeled, although glyphosate grown veggies can be tastey. In the long run quality trumps flavor, you know what I'm getting at, right?

Mostly Mutec, LYH and almost no mention of other brand clocks. Maybe more and more DACs will have external clocks like amps have external power supplies...
I'm into chessboxin' and da mysteries of such, but debates based on conjecture get tiresome.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,752 of 3,353
I'm into chessboxin' and da mysteries of such, but debates based on conjecture get tiresome.
What do you feel I’ve said that is conjecture?

I could corroborate with my AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown (-118dB@1Hz)
So the lowest phase noise clock you’ve ever owned, also provides the best sound quality?

Thank you for the kind words. To answer your question, Yes. They are extremely difficult to make to such precision.
The best implementation of a clock is inside the dac. And yes there are DACs that have fantastic measuring clocks.
Look at the Denafrips Dacs. As you go up the chain the clock components keep improving and improving. Their Terminator shares the same clock as their highest end external clock.
LHY will never publish low figures. Silence is better than -92dB.
Spot on brother!
I've said this early on. @JaMo is the only person who has qualitatively triangulated the performance
So now you’re defending the guy, after you said there is noooo way anyone here believes that the OCK-2 has a -115db clock in it?!? 😂

Believe me there are plenty of us who think the OCK1 and 2 sound like trash.
Notice I haven’t spoken once about my subjective opinions until now.
I said before I’m really not a measurements guy. I generally buy things after tons of research, reading reviews and hearing what others had said.
But a clock only has one performance measure to compare to other clocks.
Every other company happily supplies that measurement except one, well now two.

Let me ask you all this. If you wanted to ever upgrade your OCK -2, what would you use as a basis of comparison? Wouldn’t you scratch your head and wonder why every other company charges $2500 and up for a -115dbM clock? Are you just gonna drop $4000 on a Mutec cause “Bill on the forum said it’s good”?
Does anyone honestly believe that JaMo didn’t look at all at the phase noise number on his Mutec and say “Well it measures better than my OCK-2, I’ll invest an extra $3300!” ?
Give me a break lol

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,754 of 3,353
So the lowest phase noise clock you’ve ever owned, also provides the best sound quality?
In my experience of four different clocks - yes.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #1,755 of 3,353
So now you’re defending the guy, after you said there is noooo way anyone here believes that the OCK-2 has a -115db clock in it?!? 😂
Nobody is fighting or defending others. It is a friendly conversation sharing views based on experience. I would prefer to keep that way, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• KKKN
Back