Master Clock Talk
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,756 of 3,366
Look at the Denafrips Dacs. As you go up the chain the clock components keep improving and improving. Their Terminator shares the same clock as their highest end external clock.
How can you say that when they did not provide any “evidence” to the measurments you are starwing for?

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,757 of 3,366
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,758 of 3,366
How can you say that when they did not provide any “evidence” to the measurments you are starwing for?
In the world of oscillators, the lowest phase noise numbers are generally:

Femto crystal = low phase noise =lowest cost
TCXO= lower phase noise =middle cost
OCXO= lowest phase noise =highest cost

Yes you could have crappy OCXO that measures and sounds worse than a cheap Femto Crystal. This is why measurements are important. It’s nice to know what you are actually paying for. 👍🏻

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,760 of 3,366
As i said before, LHY clocks are like a beer cap lottery. A few got lucky and got their OXCO whit-in the specs and the others not, me included.

I understand that those of you, the lucky ones are fighting and defending LHY for their performance, but as @camrector earlier said, it is very uncommon to get a -115db Master Clock for 700 Dollar.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #1,761 of 3,366
The OCK-2 warm-up week is behind me.
DI20HE + R7HE MK2 The Bowers & Wilkins D3 loudspeakers, so I think they are transparent enough to capture the details.
After adding the external OCK-2 clock, the smoothness of the sound is definitely better, the edges are smoother, which is a plus in my opinion.In terms of building the scene, I haven't noticed any changes so far.

How long can the OCK-2 clock burn out before it stabilizes?

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #1,762 of 3,366
DI20HE + R7HE MK2 The Bowers & Wilkins D3 loudspeakers, so I think they are transparent enough to capture the details.
After adding the external OCK-2 clock, the smoothness of the sound is definitely better, the edges are smoother, which is a plus in my opinion.In terms of building the scene, I haven't noticed any changes so far.

About two weeks of power on 24/7
/J

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,763 of 3,366

The thing I like about OCK-2 maybe you have also noticed this. Is how evident the high frequencies become, not sharp but “un-blurred”. It leaves more headroom, calm and relaxed sound, with good separation.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,764 of 3,366
I spoke with Adrian about these. There will be two versions of each card. One with onboard 10mhz to 25mhz synthesizer on Pcb, another which will accept a direct 25mh clock input (from something like the sclk board) and no onboard synthesizer.

The external power input only powers the clock synthesizer. The cards with direct 25mhz input will not use external power.

Also, price of SFP card will be similar to the Ethernet card.
I could not resist anymore. The only upgrade I have on my network is CAT7 and a Baaske1005.

So I ordered this with 10Mhz/75Ohm. Instead of an audiophile switch, as priority….though Im thinking of the SW10, but price is high. Might be SW8 as it has really good reviews

Edit: I had to try this network card, if it does not improve with 10Mhz input. Im using it as normal card

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,765 of 3,366
It leaves more headroom, calm and relaxed sound, with good separation.
This is what a really good master clock generator does to the sound.

Might be SW8 as it has really good reviews
I can recommend the SW-8. You should know that it expands the sound scene beside the more precise placing of instruments and the layering in geneal. The orchestra is "drawn apart". I find it a bit strange that a network switch (TCP/IP) can bring these features... but it does and it is great. An even more true sound reproduction to the recording. It is all about timing and low noise levels in all stages

Edit. 1'rst of May. Link.

/Jan

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,766 of 3,366
The biggest improvement my REF10 has brought to my system is when recording off the MC-3+ USB. I run AES/EBU and WCLK out of the MC-3+ USB to the recorder. The difference in the quality of recordings is significant, they now sound fantastic.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,767 of 3,366
The biggest improvement my REF10 has brought to my system is when recording off the MC-3+ USB. I run AES/EBU and WCLK out of the MC-3+ USB to the recorder. The difference in the quality of recordings is significant, they now sound fantastic.
What recorder do You use?

Edit. Forget the question. I saw in Your spoiler the Tascam DA-3000

/Jan

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,768 of 3,366
I'm into chessboxin' and da mysteries of such, but debates based on conjecture get tiresome.
Debating taste or sound... Folks with similar tastes meaning gear AND music most importantly can relate to whichever specifics and hopefully really help each other.

Debating facts is different and mixing both can be a never ending story. I have to differentiate...

I do hope that a product is VERY similar, almost "the same" as the other because buying audio stuff is not a ebay lottery for me.
Just don't post (wrong) measurements then or just state a range or say "we believe our product offers great sonics at this price and measurement xyz is not that important to performance in our opinion."

Now will they respond to:
I have now informed Jay's Audio about the situation with the bashing of the LHY brand. I also adviced them to provide future phase noise plots for their master clock generators.
/Jan
How many do they sell?
A few demanding maybe-customers, so what?
Do they care about some forum discussion?
We'll see.

I know for a fact that Alvin Chee is not this daft of a business man.
Far from it.
Maybe... I don't know him. But if so, thanks, have not considered that possibility. They are catering to trends (SW-10) swiftley, don't they?

Perception is important in these days of deception.
Save and effective... is it now?

Awaiting high end Munich, maybe a new MASTERclock will pop up. Hopefully from within EU, not a fan of importing.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,769 of 3,366
Debating taste or sound... Folks with similar tastes meaning gear AND music most importantly can relate to whichever specifics and hopefully really help each other.

Debating facts is different and mixing both can be a never ending story. I have to differentiate...

I do hope that a product is VERY similar, almost "the same" as the other because buying audio stuff is not a ebay lottery for me.
Just don't post (wrong) measurements then or just state a range or say "we believe our product offers great sonics at this price and measurement xyz is not that important to performance in our opinion."

Now will they respond to:

How many do they sell?
A few demanding maybe-customers, so what?
Do they care about some forum discussion?
We'll see.

Maybe... I don't know him. But if so, thanks, have not considered that possibility. They are catering to trends (SW-10) swiftley, don't they?

Perception is important in these days of deception.
Save and effective... is it now?

Awaiting high end Munich, maybe a new MASTERclock will pop up. Hopefully from within EU, not a fan of importing.

Then get the REF10 (or SE120) and done.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,770 of 3,366
Then get the REF10 (or SE120) and done.
to connect to one maybe two devicey, that's too pro for me... maybe they do something targeted at consumers in the future, not in a rush... I'm still evaluating.

but It'll be less likey:
Just received the Ock2 from AliExpress. Was on sale for 500usd plus shipping.
I am hoping the sound quality improves, if not......oh well.

more like this
The final kicker? Because it makes my Gustard combo, when connected together via I2S, sound like a very high end digital system, in fact the best I have personally heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back