Master Clock Talk
Apr 30, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,771 of 3,366
I have had the Grimm MU1 on loan from a friend for over a week. It is a great sounding streamer, but I just refuse to pay so much money for so little hardware. You can hear that they had some clever design ideas, but as they sell only a limited number of items, the design effort has to be paid by only a few people, i.e. the MU1 owners. Chicken or egg question?

I can honestly say that I get the at least that SQ using a much more affordable streamer, a good external clock, the DI20HE and Diretta.
The MU1 is a great option though for those who can afford it and want to simplify their system.
... I'm waiting for the YouTube channel or blog that shows a tech-weary novice how to one-up Grimm...my bones are getting brittle while Grimm's price rises by the day...

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,773 of 3,366
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,774 of 3,366
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,775 of 3,366
= A dream?😅

Its about measuring "perception"

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,776 of 3,366
May 1, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,777 of 3,366
So my -118dBc @ 1Hz clock has fully stabilised I would say at around 10 days since last power off.

I've been able to properly compare the internal R7HE clock Vs my $1200 DIY clock. Always a bit nerve racking...in case it sounds worse !

External clock definitely sounds better. Soundstage is even wider and there is more air around notes.

I am using the AliExpress LMR400 copy, but have Canare 50 ohm on order then I will get the HTC to compare. I'll also get RG420 for comparison.

Then I will replace the clock regulator board with one of those new lt3045 ultra low ripple boards.

Who needs to waste $$$ on a Mutec clock 😄

PXL_20230426_091313487.jpg

PXL_20230423_103140298.jpg

May 1, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,778 of 3,366
Finally received the Amphenol RF LMR400 cable from Mouser Electronics.
Left the Ock-2 on for the past 3 days.

Initial impression:
Started with Sine Wave, switched U18 to Ext and listened to a bunch of familiar songs. Didn't notice a difference..........

Switched to Square Wave, there is a noticeable difference. Vocals pop out from the background music and are better separated. The tonality of the singer is slightly clearer.

A/B testing is very simple as it only requires restarting the song and pressing the Ref button on the U18 for INT or EXT clock.

Letting it burn in for at least over 150 hours before chiming in again.
Hoping it's not all placebo.

May 1, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,780 of 3,366
So my -118dBc @ 1Hz clock has fully stabilised I would say at around 10 days since last power off.

I've been able to properly compare the internal R7HE clock Vs my $1200 DIY clock. Always a bit nerve racking...in case it sounds worse !

External clock definitely sounds better. Soundstage is even wider and there is more air around notes.

I am using the AliExpress LMR400 copy, but have Canare 50 ohm on order then I will get the HTC to compare. I'll also get RG420 for comparison.

Then I will replace the clock regulator board with one of those new lt3045 ultra low ripple boards.

Who needs to waste $$$ on a Mutec clock 😄

PXL_20230426_091313487.jpg
PXL_20230423_103140298.jpg

Nice work on the clock and a good looking system, I like the hardwood visual theme and thorough vibration damping.

May 2, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,781 of 3,366
Nice work on the clock and a good looking system, I like the hardwood visual theme and thorough vibration damping.
Thanks 👍

There are actually x5 levels of vibration control as the actual OCXO is mounted on special rubber grommets to insolate it from the case.

When I get around to upgrading the regulator I'll also add Dynamat Xtreme to the inside and upgrade the internal pigtail sma cable.

Then I need to focus on the switch. I'm thinking of selling my LHY SW-8 for SW-10 and getting a clock distributor to share the output of my clock with the DAC and switch.

May 2, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,782 of 3,366
Thanks 👍

There are actually x5 levels of vibration control as the actual OCXO is mounted on special rubber grommets to insolate it from the case.

When I get around to upgrading the regulator I'll also add Dynamat Xtreme to the inside and upgrade the internal pigtail sma cable.

Then I need to focus on the switch. I'm thinking of selling my LHY SW-8 for SW-10 and getting a clock distributor to share the output of my clock with the DAC and switch.
Nice. Late last year I experimented with Dynamat Xtreme on the exterior of all my components, incl my then clock, the OCK-1, inspired by Afterdark. There was a subtle but consistently positive effect on the gear tried it on, including the OCK-1, but the damn stuff was a right pain to remove if left to settle for a few weeks - not an issue if permanently affixed on the interior of course.. Have now moved onto the more exotic fo.Q TA-102 tape at the advice of the master tweakers on the Aliexpress cables thread. Potent stuff even used in small quantities and easily removable. A few small strips here and there on my SW-8 incl above its IEC outlet along with a Quartz Acoustic premium grounding box attached to its chassis elevate it in a non-subtle way. I get your thinking re the SW-10 or the EtherRegen 2 if you can wait that long. It'd be a good test of the quality of the relative performance of the OXCO inside the SW-10 vs your DIY clock. On a similar theme I have one of Afterdark's new Rosanna Diretta network bridges en route - with 10mhz input, SFP & ethernet sockets and external PS.

May 2, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,783 of 3,366
Nice. Late last year I experimented with Dynamat Xtreme on the exterior of all my components, incl my then clock, the OCK-1, inspired by Afterdark. There was a subtle but consistently positive effect on the gear tried it on, including the OCK-1, but the damn stuff was a right pain to remove if left to settle for a few weeks - not an issue if permanently affixed on the interior of course.. Have now moved onto the more exotic fo.Q TA-102 tape at the advice of the master tweakers on the Aliexpress cables thread. Potent stuff even used in small quantities and easily removable. A few small strips here and there on my SW-8 incl above its IEC outlet along with a Quartz Acoustic premium grounding box attached to its chassis elevate it in a non-subtle way. I get your thinking re the SW-10 or the EtherRegen 2 if you can wait that long. It'd be a good test of the quality of the relative performance of the OXCO inside the SW-10 vs your DIY clock. On a similar theme I have one of Afterdark's new Rosanna Diretta network bridges en route - with 10mhz input, SFP & ethernet sockets and external PS.
TA-102 wasn't on my radar so thank you.

I'm just wondering what the best way to split the output clock without reducing performance.

May 2, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #1,784 of 3,366
TA-102 wasn't on my radar so thank you.

I'm just wondering what the best way to split the output clock without reducing performance.
Strictly speaking the 2mm thick A4 A5 sheets of fo.Q SH-22K are more directly analogous to Dynamat for chassis placement, the TA-102 is thinner at 1mm thick, more versatile, able to be placed directly on circuit boards and components which some do.

I presume you're aware of Cybershaft's clock distributor:

https://cybershaft.shop/products/cyb-ds01?variant=41835969216687

Edit - which I see appears to now have uncertain availability.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #1,785 of 3,366
HT has 50ohm cable but Neotech hasn't, I don't prefer to use 75ohm cable in 50ohm load, this will downgrade the signal in the cable, it is not the purpose I change the cable. Will try LMR400 cause it is very cheap, for fun is fine, will order HT to try too.
Just received LMR400 cable, the diameter is 1cm, also quite hard, do you guys got the same kind of LMR400? I uploaded a photo as reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20230503_004707.jpg
    IMG_20230503_004707.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back