Master Clock Talk
May 4, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #1,801 of 3,374
crap I didn't know that!

thanks šŸ‘
Sine purportedly has much less sensitivity to impedance mismatch reflections than a square-wave too (not sure if this is what Martin might have meant in part).

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,802 of 3,374
I was being a bit simplistic: within the limits of 50Ī© and 75Ī© cables, a squarewave signal requires precisely the correct impedance at both ends and in the cable if it is to arrive as a well-preserved squarewave. A badly formed squarewave (I'm thinking of the squarewave output of a BG7TBL, for instance) will cause more imprecision at the triggering point on arrival.

On the other hand, a 50Ī© or 75Ī© mismatch for a sinewave results in a sinewave. From this point of view, impedance doesn't matter and the trigger point is more consistent. What a sinewave clock is very susceptible to, though, is noise. A sinewave clock cable needs to be very well shielded and short. This is why the HT DC III and Neotech NEVD-2001 are so successful and sound so good, as they are triple-shielded.

May 5, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #1,803 of 3,374
And as it is sometimes difficult to evaluate the quality of the square wave produced, the other option is to use a sine wave and add a low-pass filter to limit the noise above 10mhz (recommended by Swenson).
But with a M&P Hyperflex 10 cable, I went back to square and it is very good.

May 5, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #1,804 of 3,374
I was being a bit simplistic: within the limits of 50Ī© and 75Ī© cables, a squarewave signal requires precisely the correct impedance at both ends and in the cable if it is to arrive as a well-preserved squarewave. A badly formed squarewave (I'm thinking of the squarewave output of a BG7TBL, for instance) will cause more imprecision at the triggering point on arrival.

On the other hand, a 50Ī© or 75Ī© mismatch for a sinewave results in a sinewave. From this point of view, impedance doesn't matter and the trigger point is more consistent. What a sinewave clock is very susceptible to, though, is noise. A sinewave clock cable needs to be very well shielded and short. This is why the HT DC III and Neotech NEVD-2001 are so successful and sound so good, as they are triple-shielded.
When a sine clock signal reaches your device, your device needs to convert the sine wave signal into square wave, this conversion will increase jitter, depends on what component or circuit to convert sine wave, so both sine and square have their advantage and disadvantage.

May 5, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,805 of 3,374
your device needs to convert the sine wave signal into square wave
This is the case sometimes, with say a Schmitt trigger, other times the threshold circuit will work directly on the sinewave.

I do agree that both waveform types have their benefits and drawbacks.

May 5, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #1,806 of 3,374
Random:

New Power and cable change:
Power conditioner: Torus TOT MAX instead of Flux-50/iFiPowerstation as the main power.
Cables/plugs: Supra SPC cables and Power plugs. Instead the cheaper tinplated.
Network cables : Supra CAT8, instead of generic CAT7.
USB cable: Supra Excalibur, instead of Synergistic Research USB Active SE and Supra cheaper model.
HDMI/i2S cable: pure silver from alibaba. Instead of AQ Pearl-48

Supra Trico 75Ohm cables still on the OCK-2 feeding(square) DI20HE and R8HEMK2....soon will be feeding the Afterdark X1 :L3000:

Short said: Initial experience the soundstage has opened up right in front of me. More a "speaker" experience, and not "forced" into the head.

I donĀ“t know what upgrade did the change, but I believe its an improvement(power) to the OCK-2 mostly.

EDIT: It could also be that I turned all the polarity/phase correct with the Oehlbach Phaser. I found two devices that were actually inverted(iFi Elite and the Corsair PSU on my pc)

OT:
I love this frogging hobby, its an endless journey with endless pairing possibilities and options. Even though Im soo thankful for other peoples opinions here on headfi, I like to make my own mistake/findings/experience. That said I would never have found the OCK-2 by myself.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,807 of 3,374
OT:
I love this frogging hobby, its an endless journey with endless pairing possibilities and options. Even though Im soo thankful for other peoples opinions here on headfi, I like to make my own mistake/findings/experience. That said I would never have found the OCK-2 by myself.
-You are so beyond rescuing from the HiFi - quicksand pond. LOL. But seriously, I think You have the right mindset for this. You have a natural curiousity and want to build up Your own stock of knowledge regarding functions, different materials, solutions and the combinations with these. Welcome into "the deep"
/Jan

May 5, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,808 of 3,374
And as it is sometimes difficult to evaluate the quality of the square wave produced, the other option is to use a sine wave and add a low-pass filter to limit the noise above 10mhz (recommended by Swenson).
But with a M&P Hyperflex 10 cable, I went back to square and it is very good.
Agree, the M&P is great stuff. I went Hyperflex 5. After having compared 4 other cables, I can say with confidence its not the weak link in chain relative to the other components in the chain.

Originally went with square wave, but switched to sine wave as I felt it sounded more balanced. Double checked a couple of months ago to confirm, but I'll likely triple check at some point to reaffirm my feelings.

May 6, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,809 of 3,374
-You are so beyond rescuing from the HiFi - quicksand pond. LOL. But seriously, I think You have the right mindset for this. You have a natural curiousity and want to build up Your own stock of knowledge regarding functions, different materials, solutions and the combinations with these. Welcome into "the deep"
/Jan
You are right, hifitidis, headfitidis and upgratidis šŸ¤£ :L3000:

Now Im thinking of trying another cable than Supra for the same price/money. Around 100euro/100dollars.

But in best practice it is "best" to use the same brand/model on all outputs on a masterclock?

May 6, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #1,810 of 3,374
I'm running two different clocks and clock cables at the moment. Balance it according to your system needs, it doesn't have to be the same.

May 6, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #1,811 of 3,374
I'm unsure whether to try the 50 ohm ht digital copper iii or 75 ohm neotech nevd 2001 next, I'm using a 50 ohm sine wave clock. šŸ¤”

May 6, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,812 of 3,374
I'm running two different clocks and clock cables at the moment. Balance it according to your system needs, it doesn't have to be the same.
Ok cool. Im just gonna prepare the cable for when the Afterdark X1 is ready for installation. Im actually pretty satisfied with supra, I also might try another cable if the availability is good in europe

May 6, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #1,814 of 3,374
I bought my LHY OCK-2 a couple weeks old. It came with a 75 ohm Gotham cable. I originally tried a Farad $ 125.00 power cord that had come with a Farad Super 3 that powers the EtherRegen. It sounded meh in the EtherRegen > Bricasti M3 chain and could understand why people could definitely could not get excited about it. I then swapped out power cables to a modest Level 2 Anti cables power cord. Big jump in SQ and now could see the possibilities. I bought the Harmonic Technologies copper III from Head Fiā€™er Presence and holy crap. This is what a clock does. Resolution and Transparency and all the superlatives. I dropped him a line and thanked him and he mentioned he had an extra Silver HT III. Sure. Another level of realism and emotion. Vocals are stunning, full of texture. Bass more defined than ever thru the swarm sub system. Canā€™t say enough. Coming back from Axpona my rig just lacked the resolution of what I was hearing there . Of course I donā€™t have 100k-1 mill dollar system but it took such a big jump with the OCK 2 and proper cabling for under 1,000 I couldnt be happier.
I am running the OCK in a square wave configuration. Even though the cabling made a huge jump I think it just allowed to show how good the OCK can sound. Amazing little device for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back