Master Clock Talk
May 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,831 of 3,397
Finally I finished the assembly of LMR400 cable with BNC connector, very big one! Just listened and compared it with Sommer and Canare, actually I didn't find different between these 3 cables :) from price of point, LMR400 is highest price value, but really hard to assembly.
Tonight I have cable fun again, swap three cables, now I can find some different, why last night same but now different, I don't know, I don't believe cable needs run in or burn in, may be my brain ran in. LMR400 is better than Sommer in sharpness and lively, not much but different is there. LMR400 and Canare are really close, I like LMR400 more, it is a little bit lively compare with Canare.

May 9, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,832 of 3,397
May 9, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,835 of 3,397
I paid nearly 600usd for a fancy power cord clone for my dac. No regrets whatsoever.

Also, lately, i assembled a power distributor using a thick copper-plated enclosure, a Furutech f-06 ncf (r) iec, a gtx-d ncf (r) receptacle, a Monosaudio rhodium and an aucharm (non plated) receptacles. Wiring done with wire i extracted for a fancy piece of Neotech bulk ac cord. The distributor made a significant difference. My whole set of cables is of very high quality and i also use a grx-d (f) ncf on the wall. These accessories lowered the noise considerably. Made the sound more refined, detailed and relaxed. They are the finishing touch, really.
I appreciate reading your posts both AGD and here Fred.
My Antipodes support dealer suggested using a choke in series to the AC ground in both my server and player [and then everything else].
My AC strip single outlets have isolated grounds so I implemented them in the AC strip using the 4mH/16A chokes.
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/358/typ_DENO-1276019.pdf

At $4/choke per component, an inexpensive experiment to try out.
Calmer, quieter background in my setup.

I believe Cardas uses chokes in their AC cables as well as AQ in the Niagara.

May 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,836 of 3,397
Worth trying the DIY approach, my -118dBc clock cost me about $1200 in parts and it was a lot of fun to make.

I may buy a -120 unit from the same dealer at $2k eventually.

May 9, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,837 of 3,397
My Antipodes support dealer suggested using a choke in series to the AC ground in both my server and player [and then everything else].
My AC strip single outlets have isolated grounds so I implemented them in the AC strip using the 4mH/16A chokes.

I used one of these https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuoQqqh in my DIY clock build. Easy to buy and fit one in-line in a small box between any socket and clock/DAC etc.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,838 of 3,397

Thanks.

You mean earth, i assume ? Not a bad idea, never thought of it, but they have be safe. So they need to pass ac (60hz) easily and the max current allowed by the breaker at least over a short period of time so that the breaker can trip.

I use grounding boxes instead. They work quite well. I made a grouding cable using a piece of bulk ac cable. I use 2 outs of my big aliexpress box to that effect. Same outcome as you described. There is quite a lot to be gained with ac tweaks.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #1,840 of 3,397
Incoming yesterday was my OCK-2. Ordered from Beatechnik, and I was surprised it shipped from China, although they are in Singapore. It was $200 more than the $550 I heard someone got it for on AliExpress, but it could be the customer service and shipping made up for it - sent free by FedEx and only took 6 days to the US.
My first ever experience with clocks. Hooked it up and with the press of a single button on the DI-20 front panel, it was connected. I heard a barely discernible difference, but that was using crappy PC speakers for the first moment. On resolving headphones it's more noticeable. The effect is palpable, and unlike any other upgrade I've had before. Maybe not the biggest difference per say, but the way it changed the sound was quite interesting, like taking you closer to the reality of a recording and without adding extra grit or glare, which is a very welcome thing. I'm using the recommended LMR 400 BNC cable from AliExpress. Could it get any better than this? I really couldn't say, but not sure I need it to.

I also got Dynamat Xtreme that was recommended, to try on the top and underneath the chassis. Though I've also got another anti-vibration rubber polymer known as fo.Q TA102 tape; high quality and effective stuff imported from Japan. Will try a few small pieces of that first. Dynamat is generally used for acoustic treatment behind speakers and headphone transducers.

I first tried sine wave, and just as mentioned, square wave sounded a bit better. I didn't bother trying the included generic black AC IEC cable, but it sounded mighty fine with my Monosaudio P902 thick aftermarket knock off cable from a specific Alie seller.

Looks like the output, my cable, and the DDC input are all 75 ohms. So I'm not sure what the talk is for in regards to 50 ohms.

May 9, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,841 of 3,397
Incoming yesterday was my OCK-2. Ordered from Beatechnik, and I was surprised it shipped from China, although they are in Singapore. It was $200 more than the $550 I heard someone got it for on AliExpress, but it could be the customer service and shipping made up for it - sent free by FedEx and only took 6 days to the US.
My first ever experience with clocks. Hooked it up and with the press of a single button on the DI-20 front panel, it was connected. I heard a barely discernible difference, but that was using crappy PC speakers for the first moment. On resolving headphones it's more noticeable. The effect is palpable, and unlike any other upgrade I've had before. Maybe not the biggest difference per say, but the way it changed the sound was quite interesting, like taking you closer to the reality of a recording and without adding extra grit or glare, which is a very welcome thing. I'm using the recommended LMR 400 BNC cable from AliExpress. Could it get any better than this? I really couldn't say, but not sure I need it to.

I also got Dynamat Xtreme that was recommended, to try on the top and underneath the chassis. Though I've also got another anti-vibration rubber polymer known as fo.Q TA102 tape; high quality and effective stuff imported from Japan. Will try a few small pieces of that first. Dynamat is generally used for acoustic treatment behind speakers and headphone transducers.

I first tried sine wave, and just as mentioned, square wave sounded a bit better. I didn't bother trying the included generic black AC IEC cable, but it sounded mighty fine with my Monosaudio P902 thick aftermarket knock off cable from a specific Alie seller.

Looks like the output, my cable, and the DDC input are all 75 ohms. So I'm not sure what the talk is for in regards to 50 ohms.
It takes like a week for it to settle in and sync everything so you're in for a nice surprise.

I need to try the foq tape on the clock chip. I remember someone saying that the clock was very sensitive to vibration.

The audio-gd di20 uses 50ohm for the clock cable.

May 9, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,842 of 3,397
I can't recall if I requested 75 ohm version when I got my DI-20, it was already about 2 years ago and I don't have a copy of the original emails. However my 75 ohm OCK-2 and 75 ohm cable are somehow working without glitch into it. Any reason I should investigate this, or just leave it?

May 9, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,843 of 3,397
I can't recall if I requested 75 ohm version when I got my DI-20, it was already about 2 years ago and I don't have a copy of the original emails. However my 75 ohm OCK-2 and 75 ohm cable are somehow working without glitch into it. Any reason I should investigate this, or just leave it?
If ordered from from audio-gd, you should have the right impedance. Magna has made some mistakes with this. Just check the connector, it should be easy to see which one you got.

May 10, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #1,844 of 3,397
4EE302E3-185C-4167-BFC7-7BDC6CEE637C.jpeg
What does the 062 say? The one on the picture is 750 = 75

May 10, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,845 of 3,397
Guys are you sure this f.oq tape isn't going to create overheating issues with the OCXO can?

I went to extraordinary lengths to reduce vibration in my DIY build, including using special rubber circuit board mounts for the board, but I didn't put anything on the OCXO for fear of overheating. It gets hot after a few hours.

Do AfterDark put something on their OCXO cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back