Master Clock Talk
Apr 28, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #1,711 of 3,364
Ordered a LMR 400 cable from Mouser Electronics which was 75 cad (3x the cost of the AliExpress cable) with shipping and comes next week.

Can't wait to test the Ock2 out.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #1,713 of 3,364
thanks...found that site but price is back up
Mine will be on sale in the near future 'IF' the sound quality of my system is the same or worst. 😜

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,714 of 3,364
Lol.
You want to join the silicon lottery?
It was on sale a few weeks back.
You can try messaging them and ask for a price match.
I picked this seller cause they have been in business for 10 years.
Mine will be on sale in the near future 'IF' the sound quality of my system is the same or worst. 😜
please let me know soon!

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,715 of 3,364
This is not how it works at all 😂😂😂
If you want to develop and sell a Master clock, you need components.
You call a OCXO manufacture and give a list of your needs and specs. Size, shape, voltage, phase noise etc etc etc
The manufacture either has a component or can make one and gives you a price per 500+ and a lead time for them to delivery.
For -110db your in the $300 range per OCXO
You pay pretty much upfront. You’re talking an outlay of $100000-$150000 for 500 OCXO that would measure at -110db@1hz.
Now you could be bad at business and just trust the manufacturer to meet your spec but I’d highly recommend picking up a Phase Noise Analyzer to protect your investment.
If components are out of spec beyond some tiny agreed upon +-, that would look really bad for these high precision companies, and you would be entitled to your money back.
Or randomly select 3-5 OCXOs and send them out to a third party for measurement to verify what you purchased (which is most likely what LHY did)

If you want links to OCXO manufactures so you can get your own quotes I’ll happily send you the contacts.
Or start here
https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-components/frequency-control-timing-devices/oscillators/ocxo-oscillators/?q=oven controlled crystal
During my years doing business based on built up relations, it worked exactly like I described it. But You are free to disagree. And Yes, I have had contacts with OCXO manufacturers and they need a few months to produce a couple of high spec OCXO's.... out of a batch where only a few meets the requested spec. Case closed for me regarding this matter.
/J

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #1,716 of 3,364
I am sure You can negotiate and buy number of these with a good discount. These unselected OCXO's are not very attractive on the market
A -110db and a -115db OCXO and bargain basement prices would be extremely extremely attractive on the market. If you were able to get them at enough of a discount to put them in a $500 clock, you would be shouting this from every roof top! You would literally plaster this info on every post/advertisement etcetc. You would be viewed as an absolute hero that brought such devices to the common man at such low prices.
The very last thing you would do is hide this from the public. It would literally be the stupidest business move a company could make. I know for a fact that Alvin Chee is not this daft of a business man.
Far from it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,717 of 3,364
A -110db and a -115db OCXO and bargain basement prices would be extremely extremely attractive on the market. If you were able to get them at enough of a discount to put them in a $500 clock, you would be shouting this from every roof top! You would literally plaster this info on every post/advertisement etcetc. You would be viewed as an absolute hero that brought such devices to the common man at such low prices.
The very last thing you would do is hide this from the public. It would literally be the stupidest business move a company could make. I know for a fact that Alvin Chee is not this daft of a business man.
Far from it.
Pipe down with the conspiracy theories. Nobody is saying the OCK is pretending to be -110db clock or -115lb clock. Lets be real, it's a 600USD clock with an integrated linear power supply and a case chiseled from a solid block of aluminum—that in itself can cost a pretty penny at low volumes. It's alot better than the crap cases I've seen people put their passion projects in.

What you seem to be projecting is that people think they are buying a -115db clock in the OCK-2 and getting the deal of a lifetime. I assure you, this is not the case 😂. Truly.

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #1,718 of 3,364
Pipe down with the conspiracy theories. Nobody is saying the OCK is pretending to be -110db clock or -115lb clock. Lets be real, it's a 600USD clock with an integrated linear power supply and a case chiseled from a solid block of aluminum—that in itself can cost a pretty penny at low volumes. It's alot better than the crap cases I've seen people put their passion projects in.

What you seem to be projecting is that people think they are buying a -115db clock in the OCK-2 and getting the deal of a lifetime. I assure you, this is not the case 😂. Truly.
I continue to live with the belief that my OCK-clocks meets the spec of -110dBc/1Hz for the OCK-1 and -115dBc/1Hz for the OCK-2.

Um yeah looks like people are my guy.
Are you not reading this?!?!
I’m not projecting anything brother. Read the posts

It is crazy to believe this, thats
exactly what I’ve been saying!

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #1,719 of 3,364
Right. It sounds great and not expensive. Well built and looks good. What more do you need.

Other then to bother everyone and troll all over the thread 😁

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #1,720 of 3,364
Right. It sounds great and not expensive. Well built and looks good. What more do you need.

Other then to bother everyone and troll all over the thread 😁
Oh you know… just the most important parameter to clock performance that every other respectable clock manufacturer gladly supplies its customer. That would mean a lot more than the subjective opinions of a bunch of dudes who don’t seem to know anything at all about what they purchase. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,721 of 3,364
Just ordered a 75cm run of this from an official canare dealer.

BCP-B5F bnc plugs + l-5dfb 50 ohm cable.

Not especially cheap at $35 but the parts are genuine Canare 50 ohm.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #1,722 of 3,364
Im the parrot….

All the measurements mean nothing as long as you have bad source/power.

It will not measure the same at the owners home as measured in the lab

(if you….feed….bad….power….to….the….clock.)

I bet those who did not feel the LHY improved sound, have not thought of this.

Some equipment need better power handling than others. We can not expect every clock/brand to behaive the same from the same outlet/power. My experience has lead mento believe good/quality hardware needs better power than the “cheap” does. LHY may be cheap but they are certainly not cheaply made when you compare the whole.

All you that did not feel it improved. Have you a power conditioner?

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #1,723 of 3,364
It's not just power quality. The supports/weights are important, too. Vibration control is very important for a clock.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #1,724 of 3,364
Im the parrot….

All the measurements mean nothing as long as you have bad source/power.

It will not measure the same at the owners home as measured in the lab

(if you….feed….bad….power….to….the….clock.)

I bet those who did not feel the LHY improved sound, have not thought of this.

Some equipment need better power handling than others. We can not expect every clock/brand to behaive the same from the same outlet/power. My experience has lead mento believe good/quality hardware needs better power than the “cheap” does. LHY may be cheap but they are certainly not cheaply made when you compare the whole.

All you that did not feel it improved. Have you a power conditioner?
This is an unscientific as well as a straw man argument brother.
A company’s measurements provide the the baseline of performance and ensure that all products meet the same standard.

No speaker sounds the same in any room, no amp, no dac etc etc. Yet speaker manufactures provide performance measurements and even predicted in room response measurement.
Dac companies provide snr, crosstalk, etc etc.
Amp companies provide watts, thd +n, dynamic range.

LHY might have a fantastic, diamond and jewel encrusted metal box with every feature imaginable. But lipstick on a pig is lipstick on a pig.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,725 of 3,364
This is an unscientific as well as a straw man argument brother.
A company’s measurements provide the the baseline of performance and ensure that all products meet the same standard.

No speaker sounds the same in any room, no amp, no dac etc etc. Yet speaker manufactures provide performance measurements and even predicted in room response measurement.
Dac companies provide snr, crosstalk, etc etc.
Amp companies provide watts, thd +n, dynamic range.

LHY might have a fantastic, diamond and jewel encrusted metal box with every feature imaginable. But lipstick on a pig is lipstick on a pig.
You literally bashing LHY now.

Dude you need to go to the nearest pub and relax. Rounds on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back