Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,346 of 4,845
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #3,348 of 4,845
I am one who like the 58X in Stock form, or rather not modding the actual drivers. I will be changing the cable to the stock Sennheiser one though soon to get rid of the need 1/8" to 1/4 " adapter.

I have 2 pair of the HD58X so I decided to do the Solderdude mod on one of them. It definitely sounded different from the un-modded pair, brighter and leaner bass. After a while it just sounded like a bastardized HD58X that just didn't sound right. I un-modded it preferring the original design and sound.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #3,349 of 4,845
Take the Koss/Yaxi pad discussion to PM? This is the 58x thread lol

Only mod I've done is switching to a balanced KK cable which cost almost half the 58x lol

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #3,350 of 4,845
I have 2 pair of the HD58X so I decided to do the Solderdude mod on one of them. It definitely sounded different from the un-modded pair, brighter and leaner bass. After a while it just sounded like a bastardized HD58X that just didn't sound right. I un-modded it preferring the original design and sound.

And see, that is too my point, yes it may please quite a few. But in my own opinion I would and will stick to the stock form of the build, and not "mod" them. I will be changing to the stock Sennheiser cable, and probably try out different pads. But as far as the headphones, there is a reason they were tuned that way from the factory.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,351 of 4,845
And see, that is too my point, yes it may please quite a few. But in my own opinion I would and will stick to the stock form of the build, and not "mod" them. I will be changing to the stock Sennheiser cable, and probably try out different pads. But as far as the headphones, there is a reason they were tuned that way from the factory.

As the pros explain, physical tuning can only go so far, especially with a headphone. When you design a loudspeaker, the tuned box and the room it's in become part of the system and help to smooth out the response of the driver. With headphones this doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,353 of 4,845
You guys talk so much aobut the Koss Porta Pro that I'm trying to hold myself on not buy them. I near a low tax area of Paraguay and they are about $40 to $46, maybe I'll buy one...

Anyway tomorrow if I'm lucky I'll visit one of the few hi-fi stores in South America, they have stuff like Audeze's LCD, a Focal Clear and more, will be the first time hearing those big boys, if I'm sucesful I'll give some feedback and try to compare them with the 58X.

Edit:
My uncle tested the 58X, he loves and knows a lot about music so he had some great albums to test the headphone, he really likes the 58X, tried both with EQ and without, he tought the 58X with EQ was better as well except in some songs like Take Five where cymbals were a tad too metallic.

I like how he doesn't know much about the headphone world but described the sound as having some slight "velvet" feeling.

This is one of the songs he used to test, from the co-found of the Beach Boys, it's interesting.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #3,354 of 4,845
Anyway tomorrow if I'm lucky I'll visit one of the few hi-fi stores in South America, they have stuff like Audeze's LCD, a Focal Clear and more, will be the first time hearing those big boys, if I'm sucesful I'll give some feedback and try to compare them with the 58X.
Can't wait to hear about it!

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #3,360 of 4,845
What pads are people using on their 58X's?
I have the Dekoni hybrids that I got from MD. I really like them, they're even more comfortable than the stock -- deeper so the drivers don't touch my ears. They help out the bass a bit, and cut down on the treble a bit, too. I haven't had any durability issues, I've heard some people have, but they seem pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back