Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #3,376 of 4,845
I have Polk RTi A5s for my mains as well... they definitely are fuller sounding with punchier bass and more mid forward sounding than the HD58X (mids are VERY forward actually, more so than any headphone I've heard). Running the Polks from RME ADI-2 DAC ouputting to NAD C275BEE stereo amp. The HD58X works great from everything I've tried it on, though it does sound best from my dedicated headphone rigs. But it's really good sounding from anything you can play it from, can't say the same thing for the HD6XX.

I looked at dedicated headphone amps and what I don't know is how high up I would need to go before I would notice a distinct improvement in sound quality over what I currently own. I suspect something like the Schiit Magni III or the Monolith Liquid Spark may not make a noticeable difference ($100 amps) and maybe the Schiit Asgard would make a noticeable difference. What will probably happen to me is curiosity will get the better of me and I will buy other headphones and a quality amp just to see what I may or may not be missing. This year I plan on buying a quality CD player and 2 or 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers before I consider buying other headphones and headphone stuff. I currently make use of my new headphones and my 2.1 stereo for listening to music while I watch sports on TV (announcer and replay overload is ruining broadcast sports).

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,377 of 4,845
I went to the cassino and tripled the money I bet so maybe I'll buy the Koss. If I do I'll compare it with the 58X

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #3,379 of 4,845
Btw, is the headphone grill interchangeable with the 660s grille? Has anyone changed it? If so, send pix

Every part the 600 series headphones (this includes the 58X, 600, 650, 6XX, and 660S) is interchangeable. The headband, pads, grills, and cables can all be swapped with each other. The only part that is not interchangeable is the 58X driver, as far as I am aware. I have noticed they are glued and cannot be removed.

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,380 of 4,845
Btw, is the headphone grill interchangeable with the 660s grille? Has anyone changed it? If so, send pix

650S.JPG

660/650

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #3,381 of 4,845
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,382 of 4,845
I will change to those in a few months, for now, the pads On mine are pretty comfortable.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #3,383 of 4,845
As my first Massdrop purchase, I bought the Sennheiser 58X headphones. The 58X are my very first headphones. I received them via Fedex 4 days ago.

I was concerned about how good and accurate they would sound and if they would have adequate bass response. I was also concerned about my equipment and if what I had to drive them would work or if I would then need to spend more money on a headphone amp. My other big concern was if my new cell phone would be able to power them properly and if the phone would have good sound quality. So, besides wondering how the headphones would sound, I had several other major questions to be answered. The online reviewers either praised or berated the bass response, the mids, and the treble! It was almost like watching tennis. The reviews went back and forth with their praises and criticisms.

I’m satisfied with the overall sound quality. The headphones are accurate and musical, they have deep, punchy bass, good mids and treble. Comparing them to my living room bookshelf speakers (Polk Audio RTI A3s) they seem to have a little fuller sound. Comparing them to my home theater Polk Audio RTI A5 small towers and a JBL 10” sealed sub 550P, the bass and mid response is not as full. I like the towers better. The 550P bass response is much superior both in depth and quality and has NO distortion. I was able to distort the bass response on the 58Xs with some tracks by Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson and especially the title track from Bela Fleck and the Flectones, “Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.” That track has many musical, prolonged, deep and powerful bass segments. But these distortions are the exception, not the rule. Overall, I am very pleased and surprised by the bass response, especially after some of the reviews I read.

The 580X headphones are easy to drive. I have used the headphone out on my Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, my Yamaha Aventage 2060 AVR, and the headphone out on my USB DAC/amp (HiFiMe Sabre 9018). All three amps can EASILY drive the 58Xs to ridiculously loud, full and accurate levels with PLENTY of head room to spare. I listen to all three at well less than half power.

The big surprise for me was that my inexpensive Samsung J3 Prime cell phone can easily drive the 58Xs at less than 40% volume. And the 58Xs have a full, not thin sound when powered by my cell phone. The phone has surprisingly good audio quality. In the settings, I have a slider control to adjust the volume and I have a sound quality control that has 3 DSP programs, an 8 band equalizer, and many preset equalizer settings. Many of the reviews I read said I would need a dedicated portable headphone amp, not a cell phone, to fully drive them. These reviews over generalized. I bet just about each and every cell phone has different sound, volume, power and performance properties. So, I don’t need to buy a dedicated DAC/Amp for my cell phone and I can stream Spotify to it since it does WiFi. I also have no pressing need for an expensive DAP. I was going to buy some ear buds for my phone, but the 58Xs sound much much better than cheap ear buds.

I’m happy with and heartily recommend the Sennheiser 58X. The 58Xs provide a high quality, enjoyable, and musical listening experience. Since I already have invested in 2 stereo receivers with headphone out jacks, a DAC/amp, and a cell phone, I especially like the fact that I right now have quality listening experiences with each of these devices and do not need to spend more money on other equipment to enjoy my new headphones. I can stand pat and simply ENJOY the music. In the future I may or may not feel the bug to upgrade and buy additional equipment and headphones, time will tell.

welcome to the forums. great to see that you are enjoying your new pair of hd 58x

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #3,386 of 4,845
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #3,388 of 4,845
Fortunately, I made it into the HD-58X drop that recently closed with an estimated ship date of 1/25/2019. I picked up a pair of HD-6xx locally last week and enjoying them. I just missed an original pair of HD-580 "Jubilee" headphones in my area for $120 by a day or so. Then, there's also a used pair of the HD-580 "Premium" for $185 locally, which is hard to bite at that price.

I'll be sure to provide some impressions of the HD-58x in a few weeks after I've received them, burned them in a bit and have applied some listening time to them.

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #3,390 of 4,845
I looked at dedicated headphone amps and what I don't know is how high up I would need to go before I would notice a distinct improvement in sound quality over what I currently own. I suspect something like the Schiit Magni III or the Monolith Liquid Spark may not make a noticeable difference ($100 amps) and maybe the Schiit Asgard would make a noticeable difference. What will probably happen to me is curiosity will get the better of me and I will buy other headphones and a quality amp just to see what I may or may not be missing. This year I plan on buying a quality CD player and 2 or 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers before I consider buying other headphones and headphone stuff. I currently make use of my new headphones and my 2.1 stereo for listening to music while I watch sports on TV (announcer and replay overload is ruining broadcast sports).

My HD58X does sound different on the different amps that I have (BH Crack: worst of the bunch since its output impedance is a bit too high for the HD58X, Lyr2-Telefunken tubes: not bad but a touch on the bright side with some tracks at times, Ember-low output impedance, Amperex SQ tube: my favorite at this time, UD-301 headphone jack: second favorite since its has a touch less bass impact but fuller mids and a touch more sparkle in the highs than the Ember, Asgard2: cleanest sounding which can be bad with poor recording and a touch less bass impact), but I'd say its more a slightly different tone versus better or worse to each individual IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back