Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3,332 of 4,845
Lifetime warranty doh

Also people are far more likely to write negative reviews than positive ones, so take what you read on amazon with a grain of salt.

So what EQ have you settled on for your 58X? Are you just using the Oratory one found on Github thats in your signature? I saw earlier that you were making some edits to the Oratory one, have you done any more changes? Someone mentioned a mod 1.1 version or something, but the only one linked in this thread is your original personal edit, with the low pass and high pass filter etc. Can you link an update? Your signature just links to the github so I was wondering if you just settled on that. I did like the edited one called Mod 1 that you made though, I think it sounds good.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #3,333 of 4,845
So what EQ have you settled on for your 58X? Are you just using the Oratory one found on Github thats in your signature? I saw earlier that you were making some edits to the Oratory one, have you done any more changes? Someone mentioned a mod 1.1 version or something, but the only one linked in this thread is your original personal edit, with the low pass and high pass filter etc. Can you link an update? Your signature just links to the github so I was wondering if you just settled on that. I did like the edited one called Mod 1 that you made though, I think it sounds good.

Ever since I found the more precise EQ settings on the AutoEQ github, I've just been using that. I still think there's room for improvement but I haven't had much time in the last few days to listen. Glad you're interested and liked the EQ settings tho, I will hopefully have an updated one here soon.

Don't be afraid to tweak some things yourself. It helps to look at the response graphs to get a good idea of what you might want to boost or cut

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #3,334 of 4,845
My portapro is 13 years old and still works, i bought a ksc-75 and the left driver died in one week lol.
I took off the clips on the KSC75 and attached them to the Porta Pro since I find the clips so comfortable and I like the Porta Pro sound so much more than the KSC75

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3,335 of 4,845
How do these compare to DT 880? I had those and found them decent, but just okay, ultimately and returned them.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #3,338 of 4,845
How do these compare to DT 880? I had those and found them decent, but just okay, ultimately and returned them.
I don’t think they have anything in common. The dt880 is dry and utterly uncoloreed. The HD58x has smooth mid-ranges and plenty of bass (not bassy headphones, though).

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #3,340 of 4,845
With 3,5mm hole felt mod the hd58x gets less warm yet smoother.
Very similiar to HD660s ( which I had for one week) with better subbass-extension. If the HD58X performs 90% of HD660s, then with said mod it is now 98-99%.
What a steal this headphone is!

In my opinion that mod distorts the bass a bit, I got what sounded like some mid bass resonance when I tried that. the akg k240 foam pad mod where you put the pad foam side down (not cloth side) with no hole over the magnet might work better. I haven't tried it yet. The EQ found in this thread is what I have found made it sound the best so far though. I also wonder what dekoni sheepskin pads sound like on these phones

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #3,341 of 4,845
I am one who like the 58X in Stock form, or rather not modding the actual drivers. I will be changing the cable to the stock Sennheiser one though soon to get rid of the need 1/8" to 1/4 " adapter.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,342 of 4,845
I am one who like the 58X in Stock form, or rather not modding the actual drivers. I will be changing the cable to the stock Sennheiser one though soon to get rid of the need 1/8" to 1/4 " adapter.

I'm getting a balanced cable for these so I'm excited for that

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,343 of 4,845
If I go from a Schiit Stack (Magni 3/ Modi 2), I might got to a balanced setup down the road as these can do it. :D

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #3,344 of 4,845
The HD58X s a very good headphone but slightly sterile/cold and fairly neutral. If more overall musical with soulful vocals are what you would like there is something better and much cheaper. You will give up a little in detail, resolution, and speed but will gain much in the terms of subbass presentation, better punch, fuller mids, warmth, and smoother overall sound. It simply draws emotion and soul from a song like nothing else. This headphone is the Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads... and all in including the pads will run under $50. The Yaxi pads are a must...

The HD58X simply sounds thin and colder, with more distant vocals/mids and less impactful subbass compared to a Porta Pro with Yaxi pads.

Thanks for the heads up on the Yaxi pads, I use the PortaPro for gaming as they are so pin point accurate using a mixamp with dolby. I am looking forward to hearing them with the upgraded pads.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #3,345 of 4,845

Users who are viewing this thread

Back