Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 26, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #331 of 4,845
Depends on what one considers "night and day" differences:
To me the HD600, HD650 and HD660S are quite different and I can see some owning all three. I've had issues with the HD600 being a bit harsh at times due to the small treble peak at 3.5-4khz so it was sold. The HD660S sounds better than the HD650 on some devices like phones or low powered DAPs but if you have a decent OTL amp (BH Crack for me) then the HD650 is still my preferred headphone. FWIW even my HD650 and HD6XX sound different but its more subtle than the differences between HD600 - HD650 - HD660S (wasn't due to pads since we tried swapping ear pads)

TH600 and THX00 are also quite different sounding to me along with comfort of stock ear pads which also affects the sound quite a bit. IMO.
I would agree with everything you said, and in the end, it all boils down to what "night and day" means. The difference between all the pairs I listed can be easily recognizable perhaps by any listener (including my wife), but what I truly meant is that, in many cases perhaps it would make more sense to own the HD650 and the THX00 rather than the HD650 and the HD600. While both HD6 are commendable, the difference for me is not enough to justify owning both. In recent years - where my fanboyism for Grado has somewhat waned, I've always tried to own headphones with different sound signatures: at the moment I have the Denon D200 for Pop/Indie, the MS2e for Metal, the Q701 for Classical and the HD6xx for Vocals.
Which brings us back to the HD58x - which I suppose might have some similarity to its siblings... I still can't afford owning the HD650 and the HD600 at the same time, but at $250 and $150, Massdrop/Sennheiser makes it quite enticing for us to own both the HD6xx and the HD58x.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #333 of 4,845
It looks like the drop is open again.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #334 of 4,845
SENNHEISER HD58X JUBILEE
4Ur6FaL.jpg

HD 58X Jubilee will launch December 22 for $149.99 with free US shipping.

Specs

• Massdrop x Sennheiser

• Glossy black headband, gray metal grilles

• Ear coupling: Over-ear (circumaural)

• Transducer principle: Open, dynamic

• Impedance: 150 ohms

• Frequency response: 12–38,500 Hz (-10 dB)

• THD + N: < 0.1% at 1 kHz, 100 dB

• Sound pressure level: 104 dB at 1V, 1 kHz

• Connector: ⅛ in (3.5 mm) gold-plated stereo jack plug

• Cable: 6 ft (1.8 m) OFC, detachable

• Weight without cable: Approx. 9.2 oz (260 g)

• Individually serialized

Included

• ¼ in (6.35 mm) adapter

• Manufacturer’s 2-year warranty
fzku9JD.jpg

The 58X comes in a black glossy finish that is identical in size and shape as the HD650 but most resembles the 1993 scheme of the HD 580 Precision on the first run. The drivers themselves are yet to be disclosed to me in regards to what they are most closely spec’d to but the sound is supposed to be reminiscent of the HD600 in some ways and the HD650 in others. Opening up the back of the housing reveals the same frame but a different dampening on the back of the driver. There is a very breathable foam covering the entire driver which doesn’t have the same plastic spider cage covering it. The grills are grey on this iteration and it uses headphone padding from the 580 and 600.

The Massdrop 58X is just a little bit easier to drive than the HD650 which is marginally tougher to drive. The original Sennheiser HD580 turned into the HD600 which was 300ohms. The Massdrop Jubilee will be using Sennheiser’s new 150ohm drivers while retaining the same magnet strength and driver size.

As far as comfort goes, I personally cannot tell a difference between Sennheiser models. This means that as with previous headphones in the series, the 58X will have a tight clamp that will ease into the natural shape of your head over time as it gives more, becoming the comfortable headphones they are known for.

Q1EZ6IX.jpg

Sound:

If there is one thing that is evident in regards to Sennheiser's goal with their latest iterations it is the improvement in the bass department. The bass sounds a little more solid in timbre compared to the Massdrop 6XX and original HD650. The 650 can rumble just as hard and has more presence in the mid bass but the 58X has a harder sub bass that works a little better with some instruments. This gives it a dense rumble and a more convincing foundation than the 650 even if it is less textured and present on some songs. It may not be as clean sounding as the HD660S but it is almost as solid and controlled.

The midrange is very much in line with the series but a little more lively and energetic than the 6XX giving it a sound that is less nuanced and resolving but more energetic by just a little bit. It has some of that appealing cohesion well known to the others that are highly esteemed in that regards. The 650 without any mods sounds a little more evenly balanced and smooth to my ears and part of that could be because it has been a reference to me for so long.

Compared to the 660S the 58X sounds a little less forward in the mids where the vocalist seems more close to the ear on the 660S than the 58X due to more richness from the 660S in comparison. The 58X sounds closer to the 650 when listening to voices singing. The 660S will sound more crisp and fast than the 58X and more focused as well but with a narrower soundstage. Listening to the 58X gives it a more wide soundstage than the 660S which has more height but seems like less width because of the 58X’s shorter stage.

The sound quality will be harder and a little stronger than the softer sounding HD650 though less resolving and detailed. What is pleasant about the 58X is its ability to provide bite and edge to the instruments that were sometimes missing in the other iterations. While I still hold the HD650 the highest in regards to overall resolution and scalability, the ways that the 58X has been able to stand out have been its ability counter the 650s aspects enough for me to desire to swap headphones depending on the song. Most of my contemporary music that is less demanding I used the punchy and prompt 58X instead. When I want to hear just a little deeper into the recording and feel ‘there’ with the fatter midbass and more fleshed out notes I put on the HD650/HD6XX which takes me beyond the face value of the recording and into the guts of the information easier.

The treble on all three of them never go into the territory of being way overboard. That is the beauty of this series and the 58X stays in line with that trademark of smooth non-fatiguing treble. The edge that it has compared to the 650 is partly due to a rise in the lower treble that provides more edge around 5K. This lifts up the upper mid harmonies just a little bit as well but still allows the mids to sound more soft than the 660S. I find the 650 easier to listen to for longer periods of time where I just relax and enjoy the music whereas the 58X kind of grabs my attention when trumpets come in and crescendos climax. At the moment in my Mogwai I use my Sophia 6SL7GT tube which gives me some presence there that I like with the 650 to give it a little edge, with the 58X I take it out and replace it with my Raytheon NOS tube to tame it just a bit. Compared to the 660S it is more forward in the lower treble as well.

The 58X has very good clarity for the price. Switching between the three headphones has me not losing much clarity, any differences are negligible. I think it is good value at only 149 and gives someone a different enough flavor to have any of the two as complimentary. For my tastes, having the 58X and a modified 650 make the most sense for the music I listen to. I am sure perspectives will vary.

SZDdyZN.jpg

CONCLUSION
The 58X is here and with only 5000 units on the drop, I am sure it will go fast. It got a good amount of head time while it was here and it drove rhythm very well, to the point that on rare occassion even preferred it to the HD650. I am glad Massdrop and Sennheiser keeps making high quality sound affordable with their collaborations and look forward to their relationship growing.

Any chance you have a perspective on how these compare to the AKG K-501 for classical music.
Thanks.
David

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #336 of 4,845
Just joined the drop. The ship date being only 3 months away made it easier to rationalize, although I feel for those that have been in since the start! Haven't owned a pair of the trademark 5/6XX line for a while, so I'm looking forward to it.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #337 of 4,845
Similar question. How about this for symphony/orchestra work compared to HD600? Thanks

/I have HD580/
If you want things to sound big, maybe consider some cans with bigger soundstage.
Senns sound awesome tonally, but the soundstage isn´t great.
I plan to experiment with putting something under the pads to make them more angled and posiibly increase the soundstage.. This method really helped my t50rp.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #338 of 4,845
/I have HD580/
If you want things to sound big, maybe consider some cans with bigger soundstage.
Senns sound awesome tonally, but the soundstage isn´t great.
I plan to experiment with putting something under the pads to make them more angled and posiibly increase the soundstage.. This method really helped my t50rp.

I see. Thanks for letting me know!

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #339 of 4,845
Someone HELP...i'm on the fence...but think i'm going to pass....i'm not an audiophile...just your regular headphone junkie. i own hd 595, 558 and 598cs and they all sound fine. i just picked up pairs of the T50Rp and
Hifiman 400i planars and thought my journey was over. then this.. i sold my AKG 553 pro, b&w p5 and zik 2.0 to get the 6xx or 58x but i'm always mobile with my LG v20 or v10 with topping amp...so i was leaning toward the
58x then BOOM...buddy of mine is selling his Vmoda M100 for $75 with Xl pads...i listened to them and boy do they sound fun...NO distortion...at all...built like a tank and sexy. sounds like nothing i own...the blue mofi
come close and i also have the definitive technology symphony1. think i'm going to buy the m100 and use the leftover cash to mod the T50rp... is this sound thinking...i was really hoping to get a 6series pair of sennheisers
but the M100 made my ears tickle.......HELP!!

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #340 of 4,845
Someone HELP...i'm on the fence...but think i'm going to pass....i'm not an audiophile...just your regular headphone junkie. i own hd 595, 558 and 598cs and they all sound fine. i just picked up pairs of the T50Rp and
Hifiman 400i planars and thought my journey was over. then this.. i sold my AKG 553 pro, b&w p5 and zik 2.0 to get the 6xx or 58x but i'm always mobile with my LG v20 or v10 with topping amp...so i was leaning toward the
58x then BOOM...buddy of mine is selling his Vmoda M100 for $75 with Xl pads...i listened to them and boy do they sound fun...NO distortion...at all...built like a tank and sexy. sounds like nothing i own...the blue mofi
come close and i also have the definitive technology symphony1. think i'm going to buy the m100 and use the leftover cash to mod the T50rp... is this sound thinking...i was really hoping to get a 6series pair of sennheisers
If it were me I’d sell those and get the 580x and the m100.

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #341 of 4,845
Dunno if I would recommend the 58X for on-the-go use, and it sounds like you already love the VModa. Don't overthink it!

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #344 of 4,845
I joined this drop yesterday. I already own the HD 600s, but at 150 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. It's my first drop, so I'm not used to the waits lol

Drops and waiting, it's just part of the Massdrop process...like 5 months for my HD6XX. I joined the AKG K7XX drop last week ordering only hours before the drop closed. Immediately after the drop ended I received a shipping notice and I thought it will be nice getting these headphones so quickly. However, when following the tracking they have only moved from New Jersey to NYC over the last 3 days! I'm hopeful they will finally get around to moving them out of that area and ship them to me sometime next week.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #345 of 4,845
How many drops have they done with Sennheiser now? At this point they have to be Sennheisers largest single volume buyer probably by far. You would think by now Senn would be pre making this stuff for them to sell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back