Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Apr 10, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #346 of 4,845
How many drops have the done with Sennheiser now? At this point they have to be Sennheisers largest single volume buyer probably by far. You would think by now Senn would be pre making this stuff for them to sell.

Massdrop's system is incredibly dumb imo.

Lets take the 6XX as an example.

What makes more sense?
1. Order 45,500 units from Senn and tell people to wait 5-6 months for their arrival.
or
2. Order 3,500 units from Senn each month and tell people they'll ship them by the end of the month.

Both Senn and MD know that option 2 would work perfectly well, but it's easier for them to enjoy a big payday ASAP instead of fulfilling their obligations ASAP.

I would have ordered the 6XX already if they didn't show such disrespect for their costumers. No way in hell i'm waiting 200 days for some headphones to arrive after I've paid for them. It's some type of torture if you ask me.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #347 of 4,845
Massdrop's system is incredibly dumb imo.

Lets take the 6XX as an example.

What makes more sense?
1. Order 45,500 units from Senn and tell people to wait 5-6 months for their arrival.
or
2. Order 3,500 units from Senn each month and tell people they'll ship them by the end of the month.

Both Senn and MD know that option 2 would work perfectly well, but it's easier for them to enjoy a big payday ASAP instead of fulfilling their obligations ASAP.

I would have ordered the 6XX already if they didn't show such disrespect for their costumers. No way in hell i'm waiting 200 days for some headphones to arrive after I've paid for them. It's some type of torture if you ask me.

At this point I'm not buying them out of protest more than anything else. I can get a nice used HD650 for pretty close and have it in a few days if I really want one.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #348 of 4,845
At this point I'm not buying them out of protest more than anything else. I can get a nice used HD650 for pretty close and have it in a few days if I really want one.

Hell, many people sell their pairs right when they get them as the 6X0 line is far from perfect. Imagine getting a pair after waiting 6 months to get them AND THEN YOU DONT EVEN LIKE THEM :triportsad:
:joy::joy::joy:

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #349 of 4,845
Hell, many people sell their pairs right when they get them as the 6X0 line is far from perfect. Imagine getting a pair after waiting 6 months to get them AND THEN YOU DONT EVEN LIKE THEM :triportsad:
:joy::joy::joy:

That's part of the reason I blind-joined the 58x drop, because it's something new. I feel like with the 6x0 lineup, you know what you're getting into. I have the HD 600s so I wasn't interested in the 6xx at all.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #350 of 4,845
Yeah the wait for my HD6XX was brutal (as is for this HD58X) but fortunately I have several other headphones (including HD650) to enjoy in the meantime. I guess you could look at it like discovering something for someone as an excellent birthday or Christmas present well before the event itself. You got a great buy and a terrific gift which makes the wait a bit more palatable. It is like Christmas when they arrive though!!

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #351 of 4,845
I just place my order @ 2938. I've sold all my higher priced headphones over the years including some Stax SR404, Denon AH-D7000, Sennheiser HD650. My HD580 and my Alessandro MS1's are really the only FS phones I own (if you don't count gaming headsets).
I agree with SonnyMorrow that with these headphones you can have a good idea of what you're getting before hearing them. A Sennheiser HD<whatever> for $150 that is easier to drive from a laptop or DAP, sounds like win to me...so I got a pair.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #352 of 4,845
I just place my order @ 2938. I've sold all my higher priced headphones over the years including some Stax SR404, Denon AH-D7000, Sennheiser HD650. My HD580 and my Alessandro MS1's are really the only FS phones I own (if you don't count gaming headsets).
I agree with SonnyMorrow that with these headphones you can have a good idea of what you're getting before hearing them. A Sennheiser HD<whatever> for $150 that is easier to drive from a laptop or DAP, sounds like win to me...so I got a pair.

Good rationale. I am curious to hear how the HD58X's will sound, having only read the reviews of a few people just prior to the 1st Massdrop offering.

I can't help plugging the Schiit Loki because it does a pretty decent job of fine tuning most headphones to a degree that removes/adds (sensibly) what I like a headphone to sound like. I'm currently assessing the AKG K7XX's sound and while I like the relaxed nature of this headphone I find that I'm noting deficiencies as I become more familiar with it. I couldn't resist to see if the Loki is able to bring a bit more life to the mid's and lower treble. It does but the operative goal is apply a sensible amount of eq so that it doesn't change the natural personality of a headphone.

I am very curious to hear how different the HD58X sounds in comparison to the the HD650/HD6XX both of which I own, granted my HD650 has Dekoni ear pads which mods the HD650 sound somewhat. I also own the HD598SE (black version) and HD598CS and I have heard the HD660S. The one Sennheiser headphone that I have never heard is the HD600 which evidently the HD58X gets some of it's lineage from. Well ONLY 3 more months until the mystery is revealed.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #353 of 4,845
I joined this drop after selling my HD6xx, I was a fan of the HD700. So, I think I will like the SQ of the HD58x

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #354 of 4,845
I joined this drop after selling my HD6xx, I was a fan of the HD700. So, I think I will like the SQ of the HD5xx.
Sorry but I don’t follow your reasoning at all.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #355 of 4,845
I joined this drop after selling my HD6xx, I was a fan of the HD700. So, I think I will like the SQ of the HD5xx.

The HD58X Jubilee is going to be far closer the the HD660S than anything out of the HD500 series.....

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #356 of 4,845
The HD58X Jubilee is going to be far closer the the HD660S than anything out of the HD500 series.....
I agree. My educated guess is that the HD58X will be something in between the HD660S and the HD600. It will have the sound signature of the HD660S but with less deep bass, which will then be closer to the HD600 regarding the bass. Although the HD58X will have a 150 ohms driver similar to the HD660S and HD700, I do not think it will sound anything close to the HD700’s sound signature. The enclosure of the 58X is very very « 600 series », and the enclosure has more influence of the sound signature of these headphones than the driver alone. So we should not expect a lot in common with the HD700. Maybe more with the HD660S if anything.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #357 of 4,845
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #358 of 4,845
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #359 of 4,845
I joined this drop after selling my HD6xx, I was a fan of the HD700. So, I think I will like the SQ of the HD58x
So you think the HD58x will follow a similar soundsig to the HD700? That might get me to buy it, because I have the HD6xx and I'm really not wanting to buy something that sounds too familiar

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #360 of 4,845
great news from massdrop

Hi Everyone,

We are checking in to let you know the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones are making their way through production! Sennheiser has informed us that the first few headphones are complete, and they will soon enter the testing phase.

We’re on track to meet our estimated ship date of June 29, and we’ll update everyone in mid June with the status of the shipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back