Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 6, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #4,771 of 4,845
That's strange .In Europe is almost impossible to find one outside ebay.
None whatsoever from any UK retailer, not even listed on the Sennheiser official store ,however there are 3 available from Sennheiser through Amazon...for 308£. It sais"import taxes included".
On the continent...Thomann.de has no 58x or 6xx.
Probably still a stock pile in u.s.
HD6XX and HD58X are exclusive models in a partnership between Sennheiser (Sonova) and retailer Drop.com Therefore you won’t find these models NEW anywhere else. I saw them once on Amazon.ca but the third party ultimate seller was Drop.com. All models sold on eBay are resellers (used models or new models bought from Drop and reselling at higher price by third party for a profit)

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,773 of 4,845
Most of the time it's mixture of Rock (70-2000's mainly) Hans Zimmer sound tracks get steady play and classical.
For rock 58x is great. For classical HD600 is amazing as I discovered last night. Hans zimmer is close to classical music I think.

HD660s has some strong dynamics that in some particular songs make a noticeable difference. For classical music I would choose something between HD600 and HD660s (or even s2 if price is not a problem) me probably the HD600.

For rock (especially AC-DC) me personally I would go for the 58X,

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4,774 of 4,845
For rock 58x is great. For classical HD600 is amazing as I discovered last night. Hans zimmer is close to classical music I think.

HD660s has some strong dynamics that in some particular songs make a noticeable difference. For classical music I would choose something between HD600 and HD660s (or even s2 if price is not a problem) me probably the HD600.

For rock (especially AC-DC) me personally I would go for the 58X,
Thanks for your input. I feel like the 58x is probably the way to go just because I’m not going to use the HP a whole lot over my speaker setup in the end. Just some evenings I wanna crank the volume a bit and can’t and having a nice set of HP would be good. But this is like 2-3 times a month probably.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #4,775 of 4,845
Thanks for your input. I feel like the 58x is probably the way to go just because I’m not going to use the HP a whole lot over my speaker setup in the end. Just some evenings I wanna crank the volume a bit and can’t and having a nice set of HP would be good. But this is like 2-3 times a month probably.
Definitely recommend the 58x for your use. I think you will be plenty satisfied.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #4,777 of 4,845
You guys inspired me. Listening to my 58X right now with just a lightning cable directly from my phone. Remembering how enjoyable this is...

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #4,778 of 4,845
I did get my 58x from ebay ,brand new, for 170£. Very reasonable price especially for how good it is .
The HD58X is magic with the double bass, the sound thickness is thrilling, the wood you will hear is impressive. Beautiful even with OTL amplifiers (ugly the HD660).
Hmm...i prefer how DT 990pro renders the double bass despite being sonically inferior overall to the 58x...even in terms of bass. I guess it also depends on the amp.
The dt990 doesn't have the thump of 58x but rumbles better...with eq i prefer it for classic jazz and darker big orchestral classical pieces.... precisely because the way it renders the double bass .
For everything else...the 58x is better.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #4,779 of 4,845
With a regular solid state amp like my atom+, I actually like the 58x more than the 6xx. I take off the foam from the back grills, it gives more speed to the sound without adding brightness. I dont touch the front pads or foam to keep the factory tuning.
Replying to my own post just to say that after a week of keeping the foam pads out of the back, I do hear response anomalies instead of the cohesive whole sound that I get in bone stock config. I decided that I would rather get that cohesive nature to keep the specialty of these cans intact rather than try to get some speed and more detail into them while compromising on that classic vanilla version of its sound.

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4,780 of 4,845
In my experience keeping the outer foam pads on only adds boxiness to the sound,nothin else. The bass is just as good without them,detail is the same.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #4,781 of 4,845
Got these with a Schiit X Nitsch Magni Piety. Crazy synergy. Boosted bass with PEQ plus a subbass cutoff through a highpass filter. Crazy bass and kick. These feel more tight than the HD six hundred series.
Snimka zaslona 2023-06-20 140822.png

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4,782 of 4,845
In my experience keeping the outer foam pads on only adds boxiness to the sound,nothin else. The bass is just as good without them,detail is the same.
With a different source I do like the naked back more. I hear a rounder less defined bass with the pads at the back. With an arturia audio interface as a source, the rounder softer punch is good to change focus from the slightly hazy highs. With just an ifi hipdac as an upgrade to that hp jac kthough, the 58x scales enough where I like hearing the bass notes ever so slightly leaner and more defined without the foam.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #4,783 of 4,845
I'm looking to sell a brand new set of 6 series Dekoni Sheepskin pads, along with a 4.4mm balanced Dekoni cable. Awesome deal if interested, posted in the classifieds.

Jun 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,784 of 4,845
I have an excellent Cardas cable for 58X and all HD6 series Senns in the classifieds.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #4,785 of 4,845
I just got my 58x and I'm really impressed. I didn't like the HD650 and HD600 very much, but these I actually do like. They sound more open and more energetic, really really well balanced, I can't imagine someone not liking these. Incredible seperation and imaging too, and a nice bit of spaciousness that I so desperately wanted on the HD650. Bass is pretty good, most my other headphones are bassy and I can't say the 58x competes with my DT770 in that regard, but as a self-admitted basshead I do enjoy it, the midbass is tighter than I remember it on the HD650 and the extension is not bad. Midrange and treble I find excellent, very natural sounding, never offensive, but still rather lively. When you haven't heard high end Sennheisers for a few years and then you hear those mids it kinda puts a tear to your eye lol, Sennheiser really does do that best.. Pretty terrific headphones, I got them for less than 150 and am very happy with them. Again, really well tuned, really well balanced. Comfort is a killer too, the pads fit me great, I can wear these guys all day no problem. Very nice headphones, extremely easy to like, I struggle to imagine anyone hating these.

edit: I've owned them for two weeks now and put my review up. I still really like them, they are very well rounded headphones for the price, I think it's very rare to get this kind of bass and midrange quality for the price. But after some time of a/b'ing with my Fidelio X1 they fall slightly short.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back