Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,756 of 4,845
I have my 58X here in my office at work, wearing my 6XX right now. Can you put the 600/6XX drivers in the 58X if the 58X driver dies?
Well, the drivers on all the Senns of this style are molded into the earcup. So, if you swapped the entire earcup assembly, then yes technically you can swap drivers, but what you're really doing is swapping headbands.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #4,757 of 4,845
I have my 58X here in my office at work, wearing my 6XX right now. Can you put the 600/6XX drivers in the 58X if the 58X driver dies?
No they are different drivers, different impedance also. If a driver dies, you contact Sennheiser and they may send you a replacement driver

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #4,758 of 4,845
Technically no, because the 58X drivers are glued to the clips holding them in, so it’s next to impossible to swap the actual drivers themselves (unless you want to destroy the clips).
I mean you can, but the 6XX drivers are too different in terms of impedance and sensitivity, so it will be a different volume and frequency response in the replaced driver and you don’t want that.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #4,760 of 4,845
Someone already said above they do not. Instead they redirect you to buy the 660s capsules as a replacement. ...around 182£...better to buy the 660s refurbished for 275£ ...or to buy brand new the 58x again...

This is only if you are outside the 2 year drop guarantee period ... please check the relevant messages a couple of pages above. Good luck 👍

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #4,761 of 4,845
I'm really torn on getting the 58x or the 660s(it's on sale where I live but still ends up being double the price over the 58x roughly. I don't use my HP that often but would like something for the evening when either casually gaming or listening to music. Schiit BF 2/64 is my dac and amp is JDS Labs Atom but will be going to a Ragnarok 2 at some point to unify my speaker system.

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,762 of 4,845
I'm really torn on getting the 58x or the 660s(it's on sale where I live but still ends up being double the price over the 58x roughly. I don't use my HP that often but would like something for the evening when either casually gaming or listening to music. Schiit BF 2/64 is my dac and amp is JDS Labs Atom but will be going to a Ragnarok 2 at some point to unify my speaker system.
What kind of music do you listen often ?

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #4,764 of 4,845
In my opinion not worth it. I had them all. At the end only HD600 and HD650 survived.
In my opinion:

HD58X: good value for Price, great enhanced deep bass, fair clear mids, a bit rolled off non-fatiguing highs. It is 150 ohms and has high sensibility, so it can be used with good portable equipment (iPhone/iPad/MacBook or good Android gear).
HD600: the best balance, natural sounding, bass is good quality, clear but a bit anemic, exceptional forward full mids, nice clear highs. Its 300 ohms+ impedance and lower sensitivity so it requires a headphone amp.
HD650/6XX: very similar to HD600, slightly increased bass/mid bass, thus a warmer sound, exceptional mids, although a bit warmer and more romantic forward mids, nice extended smooth non-fatiguing highs. Headphone amp is required with its 300 ohms impedance, although sensitivity is a bit higher than HD600.
HD660S: I don’t own these but the way see them is quite similar to HD58X, with far less bass (like HD600 but colder) and more sparkling agressive highs, same clear mids as HD58X. Overall sound therefore is thinner and colder than either HD58X or HD650/6XX. Mids are good but not as natural sounding as HD600 or HD650/6XX. As the HD58X, it’s 150 ohms impedance and higher sensitivity makes it a good choice for use with portable phones/tablet/MacBooks.
HD660S2: this is very interesting: best bass and sub bass of the group, still on the warm side as HD650/6XX with mid bass but not as much, the bass is speedier, cleaner but at same time firmer more dynamic and does extend down more than all other models except HD58X (better quality bass than HD58X though), same clear mids as 660S, but slightly warmer. Does not sound thin overall like the HD660S because of the better bass. Highs are both very natural, impactful and clear yet not agressive. Probably the best sounding overall, except for the mids which is still slightly bested by HD600 (natural open) and HD650/6XX (slightly more romantic). Its a 300 ohms impedance headphone and thus requires a headphone amp, although its sensitivity is equal to the 150 ohm HD660S.

There you have it. No bad choices overall, but each may have a preference. My preference is between HD660S2 and HD600 depending on what I am listening (jazz/pop/dance/house/EDM vs. vocals/rock/soul/classical) with special mention to HD650/6XX for its warmer romantic mids. Least preferred is 660S, with its thin bass, slightly shouty mids and a bit agressive highs. No wonder it’s the only pair in the series than I don’t own and not planning to own even though prices for 660S have gone down since the release of the far better sounding 660S2. It’s only my opinion, some may think differently.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #4,765 of 4,845
The funny thing is that if you compare the rtings.com measurements of 58x against all the the others in the 600series, we could almost say that 58x is the best of all. It probably scores the highest average grade.

And if you only remove the padding behind the grills it becomes even better.

Also it's the easiest to mod if you want it to sound like the other in the series. You just have to partially obstruct that hole in the center . Countless ways to do that.

No wonder it's out of production. It's been Sennheiser 's greatest (positive) blunder .

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #4,766 of 4,845
With a regular solid state amp like my atom+, I actually like the 58x more than the 6xx. I take off the foam from the back grills, it gives more speed to the sound without adding brightness. I dont touch the front pads or foam to keep the factory tuning.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,768 of 4,845
The funny thing is that if you compare the rtings.com measurements of 58x against all the the others in the 600series, we could almost say that 58x is the best of all. It probably scores the highest average grade.

And if you only remove the padding behind the grills it becomes even better.

Also it's the easiest to mod if you want it to sound like the other in the series. You just have to partially obstruct that hole in the center . Countless ways to do that.

No wonder it's out of production. It's been Sennheiser 's greatest (positive) blunder .
HD58X is still in production. As I write this, it is on sale on drop.com at 149$ USD.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #4,769 of 4,845
HD58X is still in production. As I write this, it is on sale on drop.com at 149$ USD.
That's strange .In Europe is almost impossible to find one outside ebay.
None whatsoever from any UK retailer, not even listed on the Sennheiser official store ,however there are 3 available from Sennheiser through Amazon...for 308£. It sais"import taxes included".
On the continent...Thomann.de has no 58x or 6xx.
Probably still a stock pile in u.s.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #4,770 of 4,845
The HD58X is magic with the double bass, the sound thickness is thrilling, the wood you will hear is impressive. Beautiful even with OTL amplifiers (ugly the HD660).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back