Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Feb 16, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #4,742 of 4,845
What is "version" for 58X?
The marble version is a pair of original HD600, not HD58x.
Further more, I do not suggest changing the pads, unless you want to alter the balance of the headphones. Sennheiser 600 series headphones sound best with their original pads. You can change to a balanced cable. I dis the same with many of my headphones including HD600, HD58X and HD6XX, and Focal Clear MG and Hifiman HE400i. They sound great with balanced cables. I use a Mojo2 DAC and a balanced headphone amp iFi Zen Can Signature 6XX. My cables come from Hart Audio Câbles which provide the option to order the cables to your own specifications (length, connectors, Color of your choice). Hope it helps.

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,743 of 4,845
Fwiw, I'm glad that 1st party cables for the HD6XX series are so widely available, of decent quality, and inexpensive to boot. Recently got a new integrated amp for my living room with a high quality headphone out and I'm enjoying listening to my 58X through it. Access to an affordable aftermarket 3m cable from Sennheiser is ideal. Along those lines, I wish the 4.4mm pentacon cable that comes with the 660S was more widely available.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #4,744 of 4,845
Fwiw, I'm glad that 1st party cables for the HD6XX series are so widely available, of decent quality, and inexpensive to boot. Recently got a new integrated amp for my living room with a high quality headphone out and I'm enjoying listening to my 58X through it. Access to an affordable aftermarket 3m cable from Sennheiser is ideal. Along those lines, I wish the 4.4mm pentacon cable that comes with the 660S was more widely available.
I have one (not 3 meters but the shop I was shopping had many options) silver coated copper which I bought from ebay for 22£ total.

I know this a very controversial issue but I have changed back and forth with the original cable so many times (for other reasons like to use from a phone's headphone jack or to review a product that has no balanced output) in so many years and I always notice substantial improvement with this ebay no-particular brand cable even using it with a special adapter from an unbalanced (or SE balanced source) like the ifi go link.

If this is a placebo effect must be the strongest placebo ever.... maybe the drop cable is not good enough...(I heard also that theory from someone else here.)

But the difference is always there and is more than noticeable. I do not want to hear with the original cable anymore.

The improvement is also there with another similar 33£ cable no special brand that I bought from amazon and the same improvement also applies to my 6xx.

I am the last one here that I will recommend expensive cables but I am saying is worth exploring a cable that costs less than the original replacement pads i.e. 37£ with shipping for UK.

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #4,745 of 4,845
Hart Audio made me a great cable for mine, which not only sounds great but lets me switch back and forth between terminations depending on what I'm hooking up to.

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4,746 of 4,845
I damaged the drivers of my HD58X and tried to get new ones.
After a lot of email contact with Sennheiser , Sonova and Massdrop I found out that this driver (System 150R) is not available as spare part.
Maybe this was already mentioned by someone before but I didnt read every post.
Here the final comment from Massdrop: "If it is under warranty then yes we would replace the headphones, we do not offer repairs.
We are unable to sell or send individual parts for our products. We have no suggestions other than buying new headphones".

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #4,747 of 4,845
After a lot of email contact with Sennheiser , Sonova and Massdrop I found out that this driver (System 150R) is not available as spare part.
Here the final comment from Massdrop: "If it is under warranty then yes we would replace the headphones, we do not offer repairs.
We are unable to sell or send individual parts for our products. We have no suggestions other than buying new headphones".
Interesting info thank you for sharing. Can you install 660s drivers instead?

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #4,749 of 4,845
I am experimenting with new pads today.
20230218_114417.jpg

The left is from house accessory an aftermarket the right one is the new original made in Ireland from Sennheiser-sonova.

However I discover whereas the left (is it called diaphragm??)) Alluminium colored part is clean and intact the right one had something like rust. And I take care of the them as babies.

20230218_114234.jpg

Left above vs right below. Any idea anyone???
20230218_111350.jpg
20230218_111347.jpg
20230218_111347.jpg

Attachments

• 20230218_111353.jpg
    20230218_111353.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #4,750 of 4,845
May I ask again who exactly said that 58X is using the 150R system ? (or at least a variant for th3 58X headphone) Sennheiser/Sonova or Drop?

Because as my picture shows above my right driver is not looking in great condition (although sounds fine at the moment and i don't know why is looking like that or if i can clean it with water for that matter) and I would like to know more in case I need to replace it some time in the future.

Many thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4,751 of 4,845
I am passing a second honeymoon with this headphone.

I was influenced obviously by zeos but a reviewer at the first pages of this thread pushed me to cross the fence on a boring day at work on November 2018 and ordered this headphone from Europe.

164£ I paid in total including all the taxes and shipping costs. At that time the 660s was costing 3 times more. I thought that I am buying a similar phone at a fraction of this price.

For years I had the tremendeous curiosity to see how close to the 660s was that phone. Has the same driver? has the same size driver? Does the driver belong to the same family? But since I changed my job and I had no more boring days at work I have never justified the cost of bying a 660s. What's the point to buy something if you never have time to listen?

As the original pads almost melted in the last 5 years I decided to change the pads and I discovered one of the drivers was looking rather bad. As the 660s is discontinued I thought this is the best time to buy it because maybe I will never have this opportunity again.
At 275£ I am getting (supposedly) a better version of this phone, a much prettier version for sure, a nice storage box and 2 original great cables.

Nowadays the 58x is sold at 200$ (most of the times) so with VAT and customs and shipping is almost the same price with the 660s.

I changed my pads to my 58X with the new version original Sennheiser pads and I did a comparison with my new 660s having exactly the same version pads with almost the same time usage. Both almost new. However the 58x had a aftermarket silver coated cable balanced (22£) and the 660s the original 3M balanced one included in the box.

1) The 660s although technically superior cannot replace fully my 58X. If my driver in 58X dies I am really screwed.

2) for some kind of music like House or AC/DC I clearly prefer my HD58X. So much more musical.

3) Technically speaking the 58X is not bad. It sounds better with the new version pads. I compare it even with classical music. Is less technical but not grainy or anything.

4) For me is absolutely necessary to change the cable in 58X. Original cable sometimes sounds very thick and unassuming

5) 58X scales as well. Not like 6XX but scales. Using it with the original cable out of my iPhone 6s Plus headphone jack or the unbalanced output of fiio BTR5 sounds good but very unassuming. Is better to use a koss 30 and call it a day.

6) up to a scaling of xDSD I prefer it even than 6XX. above that level of scaling the 6XX takes off. But currently I use dongles at best.

7) 58X sounds more similar to 6XX than to 660s. I do not understand why even think that we a felt mod this can sound like 660s. To filter more frequencies to sound like 660s by going the other direction?

The strongest point of 58X is musicality. Yes there are more technical headphones even my 4XX as planar is more technical. I prefer it for movies. But for music I would never but never choose 4XX over the 58X.

20230311_193400.jpg

So yeah after bying the 660s I appreciate it even more for what it is and what it is not.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #4,752 of 4,845
From a cursory Google search, I'd say they're not that easy to get, but even if one did, it still might not look as premium because I believe there is a thin piece of foam obscuring the view, unlike in the HD 600 and HD 650.

Here's the 650 and 58X side by side. I just think the 650 (and the 600) look so much more "high-tech" and premium showing off the internals, than the 58X does with its cheaper-looking grill (and foam) hiding them.

Did the swap work? I also want to try this

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #4,753 of 4,845
OK I do not believe fully anymore that the 58X has possibly a 5 series driver. After having 560s this weekend at home I have changed my mind.

I do not know what they use but now I can believe more easily that they might have developed a 6 series driver variant as they have stated officially initially.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #4,754 of 4,845
Did the swap work? I also want to try this
I have not tried but is very possible to work as these have interchangeable parts.

Initially because of the color I thought the physical dimensions of the cup were smaller than 6XX but when I bought and compare with 660s the dimensions seems exactly the same. So there is not a reason for that not to work.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,755 of 4,845
I have my 58X here in my office at work, wearing my 6XX right now. Can you put the 600/6XX drivers in the 58X if the 58X driver dies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back