Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #4,816 of 4,845
You need to think also about the pads. With the new version pads sound much more interesting. This ameliorates the price difference.

Also budget for a new decent balanced wire. For me is an absolute must a decent balanced wire for the 58x to shine.

I love so much my 58x that even if someone would give me now 300£ I would not have sold them to him. This is how much I love them.
Aren't their pads the same as the ones you can find in HD 600/650? I thought that in order to buy replacements... :thinking:

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #4,817 of 4,845
Aren't their pads the same as the ones you can find in HD 600/650? I thought that in order to buy replacements... :thinking:
After a specific year the original pads became a bit different we called them the new version now.

If you go to the 660s thread few pages back you will see a discussion and a lot of pictures.

I am not sure if they use them in drop products like 6xx and 58x but they shipped now with all other 6 series

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #4,819 of 4,845
is there a way to make these less bright/more dark for the treble area? mine are very harsh to my ears with vocals particularly with the "ss" sound

EQ down the treble. I recommend Equaliser APO.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #4,820 of 4,845
is there a way to make these less bright/more dark for the treble area? mine are very harsh to my ears with vocals particularly with the "ss" sound
I know it is a lot more expensive but bear in mind that the HD660S2 has a similar frequency response to the HD58X, with strong bass and sub bass, but has better more refined sound in bass, mostly mids and clearer more extended highs. In particular the HD660S2 has a frequency dip in the upper mids and lower treble, in the sibilant range (where you hear the “ss”sound in vocals and other instruments). The dip is seen a a minor flaw in a great headphone that is the HD660S2. But if you are sensible to these frequencies and if you like how the HD58X sounds overall, I cannot recommend more that you invest in the HD660S2. And globally the HD660S2 is similar to the HD58X but better and more refined in every way, while having this high mids/lower treble dip that you may salute if you are sensible to these frequencies. I do not in any way want to push you into buying these higher priced headphones, but at the same time its refined sound may suit you perfectly if you have the budget.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #4,822 of 4,845
You would have to be very treble sensitive to find the 58X harsh but then I like Grado's :relaxed:.

As mentioned elsewhere though, use EQ, simples.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #4,823 of 4,845
I mean the 650 is smoother but the 58x does not seem bright to me at all.

I did a comparison this Sunday between 58X and elex and the elex was definitely brighter. In this occasion i enjoyed 58X more!

The 58x is less technical than the 660s, 660s2 and elex by comparison since the others are much more technical by technology and price.

Then if you leave 58X for a few songs after directly comparing with them you realise you cannot stop listening as they have this unique ability to make you dance or sing and forget about technicalities after some point (you need to wait for some time trying to forget the technicalities). This though depends heavily on the music chosen (vocals are in favour). But yeah technically even the 660s can floor me and pull ahead.

I can admit though that I have not studied the HD600 as much as i wanted but this is for other reasons. I reserve judgement as i was very impressed with them and could be very possibly the best of the series. But more bright than the 58x for sure.

This weekend i decided that in the next big drop sale i will buy a second pair of 58X to have as a replacement because maybe nothing can replace it fully. But then again i saw this new announcement about the 490 pro and i might wait for the reviews since you never know i may need the funds first for that one.

58X needs at least a very good dongle and a decent balanced cable in order to shine. A good description I have read from someone else in Drop is a "fun and easy listen" (i quote) but still audiophile (I add).

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #4,825 of 4,845
I think I have the early version of Hd58x. (serial number is 295) Is there any sound differences between early version and the most recent ones?
Does the early version have prototype drivers?
No, even first production units had the production drivers, not the early prototype drivers that carried less sub bass if that is what you are referring to.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #4,826 of 4,845
I think I have the early version of Hd58x. (serial number is 295) Is there any sound differences between early version and the most recent ones?
Does the early version have prototype drivers?
Good question. I heard some rumors in the drop discussion section as some people complain the old version 2018 is different than the new ones. Difficult to say if you do not have them side by side. Let's hope not.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #4,827 of 4,845
This weekend i decided that in the next big drop sale i will buy a second pair of 58X to have as a replacement because maybe nothing can replace it fully. But then again i saw this new announcement about the 490 pro and i might wait for the reviews since you never know i may need the funds first for that one.

58X needs at least a very good dongle and a decent balanced cable in order to shine. A good description I have read from someone else in Drop is a "fun and easy listen" (i quote) but still audiophile (I add).

I had the HD58X and when I got the 660S2 I sold the 58X headphones. The 660S2 truly does replace it. I'd suggest giving it a listen the next time it's on sale. I grabbed it for $399 over the winter holidays.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #4,828 of 4,845
Yeah I really stopped using the 58X once I got the 660S2. Had no reason to go back to it because it’s not that much easier to drive despite the 150ohm difference. I think the 6-series always sound better when amped properly.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #4,829 of 4,845
I had the HD58X and when I got the 660S2 I sold the 58X headphones. The 660S2 truly does replace it. I'd suggest giving it a listen the next time it's on sale. I grabbed it for $399 over the winter holidays.
I have the 660s2.
I have the 660s
And I have the 6XX.
I also have the 58x but...I have the 600 as well. I think I can safely say I kind of like the series 6 sound...

20240211_130740.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #4,830 of 4,845
20240321-174329.jpg

20240321-173156.jpg

My take on a little 58X Jubilee fine tuning. Choice of mesh density; Fine & coarser. Simply attaches to back of magnet ... magnetically.

Easy reversible, 3 minute job,looks clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back