Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Aug 22, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #196 of 491
It has definitely made a difference. The amp used to get a good deal warmer on the sides of the casing where the board slides into the frame and could eventually run a wee bit toasty. Now it stays much cooler.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #201 of 491
Ordered this amp today after recomandation in the lcd2c thread.Anyone using it with lcd's headphones? Is it good match? Going to use ot with lcd2c. :)

This amp sounds great with my XC's..

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #202 of 491
The LCX sounds great with my... almost everything... It is a very capable and revealing amp, so you just hear the music! Of course there are some tracks that also show their poor mastering, and along with some headphones (looking at you DT 1990!!) that will happily display their enhanced treble (ahem). But, I am really enjoying it with quite a cross section of headphones (AQ NightOwl, Hifiman Sundara, Focal Elex, Senn HD58X, Senn HD6XX, Senn HD660s, Aeon Flow Closed, and the aforementioned DT 1990). As I have some treble sensitivity I do find some tracks where there is just a bit too much in the upper octaves, and then I switch over to the CTH (that conveniently can be hooked up in daisy chain with the the LCX!), and sink into auditory bliss.

I really think that I like my D50/LCX combo better than my NFB 11.38... But then I spend a night listening to all these cans on the NFB and think, hey, that's pretty good, and when I find an offensive track I hook up the NFB to my X7s amp and say ahh, that's better...

Which combination of my headphones, amps and DACs are better in my opinion? Well, in the immortal words of Stephen Stills, love the one you're with...!

Life will only get more complicated... Adding a DX7s (on the way), and THX 789 and THX 788 (when they are available) to the mix. Lusting over the SMSL M10 (but really want to see reviews)... Too much hardware, not enough time!

OK, when can I simply have all of these implanted in my head so I can carry all of this around with me everywhere? There are a whole lot of meetings where I would have a lot more fun if I could just turn up the music...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #203 of 491
I agree the LCX does play good with all my hp's also, I really enjoy mine it turned out to be a great purchase..

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #204 of 491
DX7S eh? Are you handy with a soldering iron? I replaced a couple caps with great benefit.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #205 of 491
DX7S eh? Are you handy with a soldering iron? I replaced a couple caps with great benefit.
It has been decades since I sat at a bench with a soldering iron... if that is required then it goes back to Topping... or to my youngest son who is pretty handy with a voltmeter and soldering iron...!

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #206 of 491
Not required at all, just changes the sound. The DX7S is dry and smooth, swapping some caps made it much meatier on the lowend, took off a bit of edge and a perceived blacker background. . Definitely NOT required, it's a bit of a trade-off. I'm just experimenting and enjoying the results.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #207 of 491
Not required at all, just changes the sound. The DX7S is dry and smooth, swapping some caps made it much meatier on the lowend, took off a bit of edge and a perceived blacker background. . Definitely NOT required, it's a bit of a trade-off. I'm just experimenting and enjoying the results.

Awesome!

If you don’t mind, at some point could you post which caps on the motherboard that you replaced and with what you replaced them (source would also be helpful)! While I won’t do the changes myself, I have a son in Law School who I could use this as an excuse to give home more spending money, and I get a better DAC!

Also, any ideas on changes to lower the headphone output jacks impedance? This is the aspect of the DX7s I am least looking forward to dealing with once it arrives...

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #208 of 491
Sadly that is bound to the amp section they chose so there's no fixing that. Swapping the caps did help a bit though. I'm using 470uf 25v nichicon KZ series caps from mouser with the MUSE logo. I also enjoyed the Panasonic FMs (just two) swapped into the spots left of the black heatsink.

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #210 of 491
Should work, it's a switching PSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back