Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #287 of 564
The first delays were because the chassis/enclosure was not up to their standards, they claimed.

Qouting the e-mail they sent out, they just said: "Unfortunately, in final QA, we determined it did not meet our standards."

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #288 of 564
I got another update today. They said that all units are in the warehouse and ready to ship

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #289 of 564
I got another update today. They said that all units are in the warehouse and ready to ship
and another $10 off next purchase; that with the previous $25 off helps sweeten the wait.

Will anxiously await the new sonic experience.

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #292 of 564
Mine arrived. Wow. How long has it been since we first committed to this box? I’ll be hooking it up tomorrow. I’ll be really interested how others have it connected and how you like it.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #293 of 564
The first delays were because the chassis/enclosure was not up to their standards, they claimed.
It's just a little hard to believe that such a cosmetic flaw could have taken nearly 6 months to rectify. There must have been more to it than that.

One member from the Drop discussion page has already received theirs and reported they're having issues with channel noise... let's hope that won't be a recurring theme.

Jun 8, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #295 of 564
It's just a little hard to believe that such a cosmetic flaw could have taken nearly 6 months to rectify. There must have been more to it than that.

One member from the Drop discussion page has already received theirs and reported they're having issues with channel noise... let's hope that won't be a recurring theme.
Like the person having problems in the Drop discussion, I too am using a MBP. I noticed in the Midi setup menu, there are some volume sliders - some DACs allow volume adjustment at the source. Others, such as the Grace Design m9xx do not - the m9xx adjusts volume at the DAC.

I did not adjust the sliders. I simply left these at their maximum, default setting. I have no static.

Jun 8, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #296 of 564
Like the person having problems in the Drop discussion, I too am using a MBP. I noticed in the Midi setup menu, there are some volume sliders - some DACs allow volume adjustment at the source. Others, such as the Grace Design m9xx do not - the m9xx adjusts volume at the DAC.

I did not adjust the sliders. I simply left these at their maximum, default setting. I have no static.
Looks like the other guy has a sub optimal one then.. :/

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #297 of 564
Mine sounds very good. Quite full and lush.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #298 of 564
Mine sounds very good. Quite full and lush.
How’s the detail and soundstage relative to other DAC’s you’ve heard at that price point? I’ve read staging is on the smaller side, but that’s entirely dependent upon what it’s compared to.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #299 of 564

Glad to hear it. I’m familiar with that — I run playback through Aurdirvana on my MBP and USB out, and the Modi 2 I first owned did not support digital volume adjustment whereas my SU-8 does.

Regardless, static is unacceptable at any dBFS and I hope that issue doesn’t plague many units.

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #300 of 564
My preliminary impressions are that the soundstage may be slightly diminished over other DACs I have used, but still quite acceptable. It is the mid range that I particularly like. I find it quite detailed and smooth. It is still early days yet, so as the unit settles I may find other characteristics to report. I can say there is no discernible noise in either channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back